what to look for buying a 323 gtx?

One big thing about the GTX/GT engine, aka B6T is crank wobble. If you see the crank wobbling at idle, say no thanks and walk unless you are either going to rebuild or swap engines. Rare problem really but its been known and recorded. Another thing is rust. If the floor boards are rusty or kick panels or frame for that matter, you may have issues later, if not sooner.
The 4 Wheel Drive trannies in these are pretty stout, but for bothe the FWD and 4WD trans, first-second gear syncros go out first usually. Check the clutch operation for slippage, slopp, etc.
Also ask for any repairs/maintinence files/reciepts he/she may have. Check brakes all though very minimul. I wouldnt say no to a GTX if the brakes are gone. Just good to know if they are warpped and/or need replacing.
Oil leaks, especially the VJ14 turbo seal. If its gushing, youl know a turbo rebild/replacement is in order. See if theres a record of the rear diff, as so far as servicing and such. If you get it or after you get it, do a complete tune-up, as well as replace all fluids. this includes Trans and Diff. This way, your starting fresh and wont be guessing on when something is due. Also replace the cap and rotor if they look dirty or worn. This is just the things to check for. 20 year old car comes with 20 year old problems. I went throught the same thing getting my GT. Luckily not much in the way of problems for me. Dont be scared away of this. This is pretty common for any car this old, but these are what to check for for an 88' AWD GTX hatch. :)

Also recommend checking out CorkSport for parts, aftermarket or OEM, they have what you need, very knowledgable young lad who owns one works there. :D www.corksport.com

Last edited:
Wow. That's really funny that this just happened to pop up now. I may be getting one too.

Back