What to do with 1200????

Before Performance,
The very first thing before performance is making sure your car is ready to be modified, this means it needs to be in tip top shape. Replace all the fluids including In the transmission. Ensure that the brakes, and other wear items are in good condition. Track down and fix any leaks, knocks, or squeeks. You will also need a better set of motor mounts to replace the no doubt broken ones that came stock, almost any vender has these parts listed. Do not over look broken motor mounts, trying to wait on replacing those will lead to headaches, trust me on this one. Also take a look at all the bushings and end links under the car, replace or lube as needed. (especialy the rear sway bar bushings). These little things are often overlooked in builds, it is very prudent not to make that mistake. After all, you would not send a quarter back in to the game with a busted arm now, would you?

Performance round one
If you are deadset on tuning this car, your immediate concern is going to be elimating compressor surge, all vacuum leaks, and getting the fuel delivery in check. The best way to accomplish this is getting some hardpipes, relocating the MAF, and getting some type of fuel controller. I also strongly recomend an upgraded intercooler. Custom MSP's side mount is highly recomended for its stock location, and high quality (I installed this part and had an immediate improvement on performance, and have no trouble with heatsoke). You can find Weapon R hardpipes on Protegegarage.com for around 290 dollars, and instructions for relocating the MAF right here on the forums. You will also probably want a BOV although the stock unit could get you by. Once you relocate the MAF any type will do, there are several threads here in the forums that will lend you advice and instructions to that end.If you haven't figured this out by now, all the first round of mods I chose were addressing what I felt to be factory deficiencies with the engineering of this car. There are more but this I think is a good first step.

I dare say you should be able to accomplish this for twelve hundred if you are frugal.

Performance round two
Now its time to balance out the things you did in round one, this means you will need some gauges to keep track of whats going on with your car. Wide band Air to fuel Ratio should be your first and most important choice. Than I would recommend boost, and probably oil pressure. You may also want to consider coolant, and exhaust temp as well. Now is a good time to get away from making power and look at your tires brakes and suspension. Usually I would do these first before changing anything else, but since the MSP has an exceptional set up to begin with I saved these till this point. What you want here is up to you, I could write a book on this subject. However, I advise keeping your ambition in check less you end up with a car thats no fun on the street. Also look at some exhaust work, and that intake you have no doubt been eyeballing since before you started working on the car, and possibly a clutch upgrade. Before you try to make any more power I strongly recommend
You get your Differential welded, you can find many threads on that here on the board.

Beyond
Going past round two requires some serious thought, because you will be venturing into the realm of true high performance. That means true High performance prices, and competition. It also means you will probably want another car to daily drive, although some crazies prefer to tough it out.

Also before you do any of this I can not say enough about DRIVER IMPROVEMENT!!! Take a performance oriented driving class!! It will make you faster and safer, than the equivalent money spent on any part!!

Last edited:
Sorry for the book, I meant just to say a little bit, but I was on a roll lol.

Last edited:
Back