What to buy? MS3 or Civic si

Both cars are awesome. I simply chose the Speed 3 b/c of attractive dealer incentives in Canada. Otherwise, I would be riding in the SI right about now. Anyone would look great sitting in the drivers seat of either one. This thread is biased to the max.

I wouldn't say this thread is bias at all. To even be comparing the Civic si to the MS3 is ridiculous! The MS3 is way way faster and a better value period. I've owned both I know this.

the MS3 beats the SI in every performance category on all the drive tests.
Lets just see if the recalled mounts last or if they start failing again?

yeah the 06-07 trannies were supposedly going bad so much so that there is a petition trying to get a recall.... but it seems that the 08 trannies are fixed.

so far Ive only read 3 people who have had failed recalled trannies , and i think 2 of them drap their cars and are moddified, the 3rd autocrosses. 3/10000 isnt that bad. I think they make 5000 speeds per year right?

3/10000 isnt that bad. I think they make 5000 speeds per year right?

While forums can be a pretty good indicator of reliability (both positive and negative)of a particular model, they shouldn't be taken as gospel especially when the quantity of posters are only a fraction of total ownership. Your '3/10,000 civic SIs' only holds weight if all 10k owners read or post which definitely isn't the case. Same with the speed3. Besides, the SI has had several recalls in addition to the tranny issues:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2006/honda/civic/si_hatchback/1356/recalls/

No manufacturer builds perfect cars.

Last edited:
at first i wanted to grab the 4door si, cuz of the gas mileage and the VTEC.. i didn't wanna go forced induction.. but once i was about to grab the car, i realized that so many people had it.. i decided to buy the ms3..and i dont regret it at all.. i'm glad i bought this car. i love it

While forums can be a pretty good indicator of reliability (both positive and negative)of a particular model, they shouldn't be taken as gospel especially when the quantity of posters are only a fraction of total ownership. Your '3/10,000 civic SIs' only holds weight if all 10k owners read or post which definitely isn't the case. Same with the speed3. Besides, the SI has had several recalls in addition to the tranny issues:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2006/honda/civic/si_hatchback/1356/recalls/

No manufacturer builds perfect cars.

Let me clarify I meant the 3/10000 ms3... i think 5000 are produced per year but that is a guess.

as far as the civic si,,, its way way more cars that are having that issues, so much so that they are trying to get a recall on the civic si 3 rd gear, supposedly the fix is the new 08 3rd gear syncros which are not having any issues at this time.

Let me clarify I meant the 3/10000 ms3... i think 5000 are produced per year but that is a guess.

as far as the civic si,,, its way way more cars that are having that issues, so much so that they are trying to get a recall on the civic si 3 rd gear, supposedly the fix is the new 08 3rd gear syncros which are not having any issues at this time.

My bad, I read it wrong. Yeah I believe 5000 were being produced for North America for '07. Not sure about the '08 numbers.

Yeah 3rd gear in my 07 4dr Civic si was crap

from the honda forums. the only fix is to get synchros replaced from 08 models, but its hard to get the dealer to do that. They keep saying people are abusing it, so thats why there is that petition going around.

if i did get the civic the 08 seems to be ok so far.

I come from a honda/acura back ground also, i wanted to try something new.

ive test driven both and hands down the ms3 is way better performance car.

from the honda forums. the only fix is to get synchros replaced from 08 models, but its hard to get the dealer to do that. They keep saying people are abusing it, so thats why there is that petition going around.

if i did get the civic the 08 seems to be ok so far.

I come from a honda/acura back ground also, i wanted to try something new.

ive test driven both and hands down the ms3 is way better performance car.

Yeah the MS3 is a way better performance car hands down. Not that the si isn't a good / fun car it just can't compete with a MS3, it's simply out of its league.

Another thing to take into affect is resale value. Resale on a Honda is much better than a Mazda.

I would have to disagree on this. Being that the MS3s are a limited production models and the civic Si are continuous, the resale value will be better with the MS3s because of its rarity and demands. I know a couple people that sold their MS3s (for good reasons OFC) and they sold it quickly and the value was close to MSRP.

As for this debate, i'm not saying anything until I drive a Si.

I think this thread is a little old, but i prefer the Speed. I traded in my Si for the Speed3 and never looked back. As for resale value? I tried selling my Si private party for less than bluebook and didn't even get any calls in over a month on it. It was super clean with low miles too! Honda kids dont like the FG2 because its too heavy and expensive for them (all cheap asses who want a $2000 car with a salvage title) and the fact that it is a USDM model makes all the JDM kids puke. The sedan has JDM parts, so that might have a better resale on it, but whatever. Plus, its difficult to tune (yes, we are lucky to be getting the AP, one of the major honda tuners, Hondata, hasn't even come out with the k-pro for the Si yet) and doesn't have enough power stock to be respected by anyone who wants a quick car. All it has going for it is the name and the fact that is "cute".

I currently own a '07 4dr Si and REALLY wish I had gone with a MS3 instead.

I made this post in a different section:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3803296&postcount=10

A TSB finally came out for 3rd gear on the 12th of this month. I don't know how well it has helped others the problem yet though. I plan on taking mine into the dealership this weekend with the TSB in my hand....

yeah, the TSB came out on a saturday which was very odd. my parts were ordered on monday because they replicated the issue in the end of feb but were waiting for a TSB to be released with revised parts, which arrived today. i'll be leaving my si there and hopefully it'll take care of the issue, which has made driving the si a real task.

i have both cars as seen earlier in this thread; if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

Haha well... the majority of them say that the Honda is better because of:

8k rev limit
mpg
reliability (which IMO isn't true at all.)
looks (most of them are wagon haters)
better handling (arguable. I know...)
and resale value

The only bad thing other than those that they say is, "It just has too much power for its own good."

*None of that is my opinion though.

I love the people on the civic forum I go to... but I don't ever agree with the Si > MS3 threads when they come up.

Latest posts

Back