What surprised you about the CX-5 after you bought it?

2. Charge in cubby and in the back always on.

I really like the always on 12V outlet in the luggage area. On hot days I put my 12V cooler back there and it keeps my snacks and beer cold even when it's 105 degrees in the car. Never need to mess with buying ice or the wet mess when it all melts.

For those of you thinking you need to accelerate super gently to get good mileage, it's not so. I drive in a mostly sporty manner and get great mileage simply by avoiding high cruising speeds (unless I'm in an unnatural hurry). It's especially important to avoid acceleration that necessitates braking. You can accelerate relatively briskly and still get good MPG, just let off and coast so you don't need to immediately lay into the brakes. And increase your following distances so you don't have to lay on the brakes simply because the car in front of you hits their brakes to turn off.

My fuelly badge reports all 26,000 miles since I took delivery and there has been plenty of less than ideal MPG driving conditions. I don't know of any other AWD this roomy that can touch the fuel economy of the CX-5.

I really like the always on 12V outlet in the luggage area. On hot days I put my 12V cooler back there and it keeps my snacks and beer cold even when it's 105 degrees in the car. Never need to mess with buying ice or the wet mess when it all melts.

For those of you thinking you need to accelerate super gently to get good mileage, it's not so. I drive in a mostly sporty manner and get great mileage simply by avoiding high cruising speeds (unless I'm in an unnatural hurry). It's especially important to avoid acceleration that necessitates braking. You can accelerate relatively briskly and still get good MPG, just let off and coast so you don't need to immediately lay into the brakes. And increase your following distances so you don't have to lay on the brakes simply because the car in front of you hits their brakes to turn off.

4wd corolla wagon
IMG_6535.JPG

My fuelly badge reports all 26,000 miles since I took delivery and there has been plenty of less than ideal MPG driving conditions. I don't know of any other AWD this roomy that can touch the fuel economy of the CX-5.

4wd corolla wagon
IMG_6535.JPG

;)

What surprised me about my new CX-5 was how it grew on me and now how glad I am that I got it. Wasn't that way at first.......my first choice was a 2016 Outback Ltd that I ordered the day before I purchased the CX-5 which was my second choice. Third choice was a 2016 CRV EXL which had not even come out yet. All it took was an extended test ride, and the Mazda dealer accepting a much better offer than I got on the OB and thus my Subie factory order was canceled.

Since this vehicle was purchased with the intent of it being my "highway trip" vehicle I was somewhat apprehensive about what I had read about it having a "stiff, jittery ride". Found some of those reviews to be somewhat subjective since it suited me fine. Also liked the steering feel, handling, and acceleration over the OB - it's nice to have an economical four banger that will go 0-60 in less than 10 seconds and still get around 30 mpg's on the highway. And just love the looks of those 19" wheels and the Deep Crystal Blue paint that lightens up in the sunlight. Yeah, I haven't been this pleased with a new ride in a long time, and I replace my two vehicles each every five years, so I guess I've been through a few new ones to know which is a keeper for my needs. :)

Back