What Say You?

Hmm... sounds like a bad valve. Did you revv the engine really high lately? What oil are you using?

Btw, random, your A-Pillar looks exactly like mine lol. I even have my Boost Gauge and A-F gauge at the same spots, plus I have nothing in the third spot cuz I never got around to install my Oil pressure gauge. Too weird. xD

if you cant hear it from the oil pan then i would go with maybe a wristpin. but you would really have to be running the s*** out of it if youre forged

get a mechanics stethascope and start trying to pin point the noise then its not a guessing game =P

I have one that I've never used. I guess i will put it to use. I thought Brian would have been here by now. If i drop the pan, what should I be looking for?

look for proper operation, and pull bearing caps to look for messed up bearings. i would think isolating the noise before pulling the pan would be best though. try the best you can to find where the noise is greatest and then test accordingly. i personally have had no internal engine mechanical issues with my msp so yea take my opinions with a grain of salt bc i like to generalize the task at hand to at least put you in the right direction

lmk how things go

Sounds like a bent valve to me sir. Luckilly you can find heads for these FS engines for $100.

I honestly would even go that far unless the noise it's noticeably louder at the oil pan
What locations should I be probing. I did the front of the head right above the exhaust manifold and the a couple of more areas where I could reach. I did notice more noise at the upper front part of the oil pan, but I dunno if my other locations were legit. I had to charge my battery with jumper cables for about 10 mins and then jump the car off. it turned slow like you wouldn't think it would crank, but it did. Ran for about 5-10 mins and then died followed by clicking indicating the battery was too weak, so I think maybe my alternator went also.

What a bad series of events. When my wrist pin broke everyone was telling me it was in the valvetrain until I paid a shop to give me their educated guess, they guessed wrist pin and what do you know. But I wouldn't touch near the exhaust it'll drown out the sound. As far as the valve goes, our engine is a non interference engine so even if the timing belt snaps whole your racing, the valves shouldn't touch the piston. I would try from the valve cover first with the stethoscope, go from side to side and front to back it should be pretty clear where it's loudest

What I usually use is a common stethoscope to probe around the motor to see where the noise is most prevalent. There is also an automotive stethoscope that you can buy, which basically has 3-4 inch long post in place of the disc-shaped device that medical stethoscopes use. Depending on the area where the noise is coming from, you can narrow the problem down depending on what part of the motor the noise is coming from.

What a bad series of events. When my wrist pin broke everyone was telling me it was in the valvetrain until I paid a shop to give me their educated guess, they guessed wrist pin and what do you know. But I wouldn't touch near the exhaust it'll drown out the sound. As far as the valve goes, our engine is a non interference engine so even if the timing belt snaps whole your racing, the valves shouldn't touch the piston. I would try from the valve cover first with the stethoscope, go from side to side and front to back it should be pretty clear where it's loudest

I just realized that you had already mentioned the doctors tool, before I posted. So my bad and I did not mean to steal your thunder good sir.

Last edited:
well then narrow down that dang noise! i hate this, suspense is killing me! lol

Latest posts

Back