what PSI are your winter tires set at?

pcpower

topic

I'm asking because my 2 front winter tires looked lower on air than the 2 rear tires, wasn't sure why that would be. any input appreciated, as I'm picking up a tire pressure gauge soon and am going to get this squared away before going on a road-trip.

thx

as I'm picking up a tire pressure gauge soon

yeesh...that is a must for all my vehicles. i always carry a pressure gauge. i also keep a tread depth gauge in the mazda. i also used to carry some fix-a-flat in all my cars until tpms came around, same with jumper cables (never know what new cars don't like getting jumped)

as for the topic, i leave mine like the book says. 34 front, 32 rear. always measure when the tires are cold (ie first thing in the morning)

no wonder my car was freaking floating around, it turns out my front tires were at 40 PSI and the rears were around 34.

now they are all around 34 but the front tire looks low for some reason.....

I'm guessing lower air pressure is safer than say 40+ PSI so I will just leave it alone. :[]

lower pressure is not better than higher pressure. lower pressure causes more heat buildup and possible eventual failure of the rubber (think firestone and the ford explorer incidents), also worse handling, braking, and gas mileage. the only time lower pressure is good is for off roading or snow. but even then all you're doing is getting driving traction, not braking or handling.

40 psi is pretty high, and you would eventually notice extra wear in the middle of your tire (assuming it stays constantly overinflated)

and don't worry about the fronts looking a little low, as long as your gauge consistantly says 34 psi you're good. radials will naturally have a little bulge at the sidewall, and that's where all the weight is anyway

Back