what pistons to go for in a forged build?

littlemimus

fear the mighty sandvich!
:
Mazdaspeed protege 2003
so im starting my motor build and the three different rods im looking at are molnar, k1 and pauter rods. are the paute's the best just because of the design?

*************** I'm gonna buy mine eventually with parts from these guys. Best prices around on name brand s***.

so im starting my motor build and the three different rods im looking at are molnar, k1 and pauter rods. are the paute's the best just because of the design?

So is it rods or pistons you want to know about?

What are you trying to accomplish with these rods?

If you tune properly any one of those rods will more than likely be limited by other parts in your car, especially the transmission.

So is it rods or pistons you want to know about?

What are you trying to accomplish with these rods?

If you tune properly any one of those rods will more than likely be limited by other parts in your car, especially the transmission.

just rods. my choice of pistons is wiseco and as long as i have a good tune i imagine pistons are more durable than rods. I pretty just much want a car that makes around 250hp reliably.

edit:eek:h snap the thread says pistons but i totally meant to ask about rods.

Last edited:
Nate on Facebook he has a mazdaspeed parts. Page best prices anywhere he can match or beat

just rods. my choice of pistons is wiseco and as long as i have a good tune i imagine pistons are more durable than rods. I pretty just much want a car that makes around 250hp reliably.

edit:eek:h snap the thread says pistons but i totally meant to ask about rods.

Pistons should be able to handle 250 easily but may as well spend the money and get forged pistons too.

Pistons should be able to handle 250 easily but may as well spend the money and get forged pistons too.

Unless you are on a really tight budget like me :) I feel like the rods are the major weak point for the majority of what people do with these forged internals anyways. Unless you are going crazy with power, have the funds to support it or don't know what you are doing, then I think forged rods is enough.

yea i meant to say rods not pistons. i was just wondering is there some major design difference between them that justifies the price or are the molnar/k1 rods sufficient for my goals.

yea i meant to say rods not pistons. i was just wondering is there some major design difference between them that justifies the price or are the molnar/k1 rods sufficient for my goals.

For your goals, just get the cheapest name brand you can.

The X beam design is supposedly superior, but all claims are made based on how far someone pushed a certain rod without breaking. While some rods get undeserving misrepresentation because some clown didn't install them properly and blamed the product.

talk to Brian Lawlor on facebook. He has lots of great advice since he's built many forged FSDE's. I believe he said the Molnar rods are a great deal for what you get

STOP IT!!!....Go with what's been proven AND what can withstand you HP goals. if you want 300hp, look for a PROVEN rod that can take 500. You will be turning up the boost....I'm not suggesting brands, I'm saying go with what you know for a fact has been proven

Back