What other cars did you consider before buying your Mazda 2?

ScorpioGTX1

:
2012 Mazda 2 GS M/T
I think it would be interesting to see what other cars everybody considered, test drove, etc. before finally deciding upon buying a 2. Why did you choose the 2 over everything else?

For me, I considered a Mazda 3, Hyundai Veloster, Hyundai Elantra GT, and Scion tC for new cars. I discovered there wasn't a Scion dealership in my city, so that option was off the table pretty quick. I test drove a Veloster, and I thought it was dreadful, and the guys at Hyundai were a bunch of dicks, so I didn't even bother test driving the Elantra GT. The Mazda 3 is great, but I didn't need the extra space and I wanted something light as possible, so the 2 fit the bill.

I also considered an EP3 Civic, 7th gen Celica GT-S, and NC Miata PRHT for used cars. I couldn't find an EP3 or GT-S with decent mileage, unfortunately, otherwise I would have very much enjoyed either. I really wanted the Miata, but my better judgement took over and I decided the 2 would be more practical for winter.

Looked at almost everything in the compact/subcompact market. For the most part, 90% of the cars felt the same, soft and disconnected. The final three were the Fiesta, Fit and 2. I was enjoying the Fiesta (automatic for test drive) up until I coasted to a right hand turn as the light turned green it proceeded to buck violently as it searched for the right gear. The Fit had great space, but hurt my back and sounded tin-canny. For various reasons (also including the price and 0% financing they gave me) I went with the 2. I felt it had the best compromise between utility, fun factor, price, and options. It also helped that it looked quite a bit better than the other cars I was looking at. I very briefly looked at the Yaris but the driving dynamics left me thoroughly unimpressed (although it did have great pop-out cupholders).

In terms of the used market, I was really leaning heavily towards an EP3 civic as well, but finding one in decent shape for a good price was next to impossible up here. Forresters were the same story, and I didn't feel like inheriting someone else's headache with a turbocharged vehicle in my price range. End of the day, I think I made the right decision for the situation I'm in now.

06-12' MX-5 (too expensive and impractical), Chevy Cruze Eco (VERY nearly bought one), Elantra (no manual on Limited model = no sale), '12 Camaro, '12 Mustang, '06 Eclipse (cost as much with 100k miles as a new 2), Hyundai Genesis 2.0T with track pack thingy (too expensive), '12 Focus, '10 Malibu, '12 Honda Civic (just no...), Chevy Sonic (all I could find was 1.8 automatic sedans -____-), used black cobalt ss turbo, '12 Scion TC (liked it, but I have a firey hatred of all things Toyota), an awesome looking VW Golf diesel with a sunroof and satnav, and probably many more I have forgotten. Yeah, I made sure to look thoroughly.

I decided I definitely wanted a Ford Fiesta. I drove it and loved it, but used SES 5 speed hatches were going for $20k with 20,000 miles! I figured out that I could get the same car except it was more fun, and new for 15,600. That's when I fell in love with the 2 and bought mine.

Last edited:
I just wish I had found this before I committed to the 2.

image_zps72f5c40b.jpg

I just wish I had found this before I committed to the 2.

image_zps72f5c40b.jpg

LMAO!!!!

I love and prefer cars of the 2's general size. My choice was between the Mazda2, The Fiesta, the Fiat 500 Abarth or a GTI.

I drove a Fiesta several times, and was really impressed with the general sophistication of the interior for a B class car, and it was well balanced - but it felt heavy to me. The front end of the US version I really couldn't get past. Too many f*cking angles all over the place, and those purely decorative LED running lights were a real let down and eyesore compared to the better balanced EU face the car had. I drove a Fit, having owned a 91 si for years, and was disappointed. It was nice enough, but I couldn't detect anything I had loved about my civic and I'm not into the whole future dashboard situation. I definitely would have considered a Fit Si, though...

Ultimately, I realized that for where I live, I really can't even use the power a GTI or Abarth bring to the table. My driving is so city-centric, that the 2 is plenty powerful enough, I can relish the turns and ramps, etc. and not be left feeling that I've got all this power on tap that's not possible to use. In fact, with the exhaust and intake, the 2 gives the feel that it has some pretty respectable power IMO.

I originally wanted an impreza hatch, but some research revealed I'd have been let down with the gas mileage. Looked at the 3 and decided it was bigger than I needed (if I can't off-road it I wanted something as small as possible with 4 doors that can fit kid seats), test drove the sonic turbo and was hugely dissapointed, no Fits with a manual nearby to test drive. Decided to test drive the 2 (solo), and it put a huge grin on my face immediately and I was sold. If I weren't at the mazda dealership checking out 5's for the wife I might not have even noticed it (poor advertising as has been mentioned in another thread).

3 and MS3, mostly for additional carrying capacity but eventually decided the 2 met all of my needs (fun/autocross, commuter, carry stuff.)

I was looking for cars under $25k since it fits my budget. I really wanted a hyundai genesis but the model that I wanted was just too costly, and it just wasnt good on gas. Was thinking of the FR-S/BRZ, but it wasnt out yet until 2 months later when I bought my 2. Looked at a Fit and Fiesta, didnt like the Fit styling, and the Fiesta was awesome looking outside, but I didnt like the inside, it felt a little cramped too. Looked at the Mazda cx-5, was very close to getting it, but I wanted to do auto-x also...maybe I could've still done it with the cx-5 :D. Also looked at the new miatas, would love to have one, but mpg sucks when I am doing atleast 15k miles a year, just to go to work.
The Mazda 2 just fits all the criteria I needed, mpg, styling, and performance.

My brother did get a Fiesta 4 months after me, and I am glad I didnt get it, I didnt like it much.

i was seriously hunting down a BRZ, but didnt want to drive across 2 states to get one that wasnt being marked up. After that I was really close to getting a Dodge Challenger r/t... then with a baby on the way, my budget was cut in half. So the priorities were 4 door/ inexpensive as possible/ manual/ fun to drive. It came down to a Fit/ Sonic/ mazda2 or 3... I test drove all of them.. I was really close to getting the Fit.. payments would have been the same except for a year longer.. mazda gave me 0%, it felt funner to drive, and that was that. I wanted blue, but white was the only manual available so i jumped on it.. I never like white cars but i love the white on the 2 now especially with the touring interior.

None, actually. I wasn't planning on getting a new car at all until I drove a 2 and loved it, and discovered that my car at the time ('09 Si) was worth in trade as much as a brand-new 2.

I went though a multiple year long process trying to figure out what to replace my aging MINI with. I researched nearly every second hand performance car from the past ten years basically until I decided that a new car would work best. I went for a day of test drives and found that the 2 was the closest to my beloved MINI, which a new one was out of the question due to the price. I was sad when I saw my MINI vanish in my mirror, but happy to be driving a car that I knew will never let me down.

Back