what other car(s) did you consider?

Our criteria was pretty simple. We wanted something smaller and more fuel efficient than our 07 TL... and if it were more fun to drive that'd be a plus too.

We first looked at the Prius. I know I know... Everything about that car screams BORING! But its for my wife, and the idea of 50-60mpg I thought would trump the driving experience, but after driving it, I hated it. And I vowed never to own a CVT transmission (a regular auto is bad enough). BTW, the saleswoman told me the prius didn't have a transmission when I told her I didn't like it (LOL!). So I told her, "well, I really want a transmission in my car, so this isn't going to work".

HAHA good stuff

When I started looking, I was considering these (I had a Mazda3 at the time):

Mazda CX-7: Kinda liked it, although now I do not regret getting the CX-5 instead, but I didn't want to have to take a second mortgage on premium gas/potential turbo issues and it is on it's last model year. The incentives on it were very aggressive though at the time.
Ford Edge: Liked the look of it, but ended up being too expensive and probably too big for my tastes.
Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute: End of life model/cheapish interior, if the new Escape had been out then I'd probably have very seriously considered it but it wasn't and I couldn't really wait for it.
Honda CR-V: Was in second place behind the CX-5. Driving it felt quite boring.
Toyota RAV4: Although Toyota has a rock solid reputation on reliability to me they just can't, in 2012, justify such a cheap and dated looking interior… for the same price, and sometimes more, than other brands.
Nissan Rogue: CVT, nuff said.
Mitsubishi RVR/Outlander sport in the USA I think: Liked the styling of it, CVT killed it.
Dodge Journey: Not expensive and… that's it. Saw a review of it on TV here recently where they could, without much force, bend in the bumpers enough that a gap showed up under the headlights… Can't do that with my CX-5…

Last edited:
We came really close to getting a Terrain. I think they are overpriced a bit and all the ones we found that were close to what we wanted had thousands in extra stuff added we didn't want. The disturbing thing we ran into was all the ones we drove all felt different.
We loved the Buick regal when we first drove it and then they said they could dealer trade for the color we wanted and came out with a price on a sheet of paper. 29000 msrp and a sales price of 33000. I just looked in disbelief and got up to leave. The sales manager kept asking from his office "what is keeping you from buying? Is it the price". The price, like a slap to the face woke us up out of the euphoria of the moment. We still looked at them a bit more but never at that dealer. I had no problem paying msrp for the car but was so insulted by them asking for an extra 4000
And after test driving one again we realized the visibility out the back was terrible. And the second one had the check engine light on and showed half a tank of gas but had the low fuel warning on. Not a good sign.

The Jetta was the last one I considered but once you got one with a sunroof they got expensive and I was nervous about reliability. Especially since the nearest dealer is about an hour away.

Last edited:
Kia Soul
We wanted something different. Now that we've bought a CX-5 (it's on a dock in Vancouver), our family and friends are telling us how ugly they think the Soul is. They didn't want to tell us before....
Man, am I glad we switched.

Yes, the Soul is ugliest Kia currently offered by them. I'm suprised you didn't notice before family and friends mentioned it. I fully expect Peter Schreyer of Kia to fix that problem with next version of Soul.

Last night I parked between two CR-V's. One was a current gen in silver and the other previous gen in light blue. I started car shopping last October and considered buying these three vehicles at some point. I'm glad the waited for the CX-5. It's such a better car. The CR-V's are hideous. I don't understand how they sell so many. At the same time, I like that the CX-5 is still rare and unique. I have yet to see another on the road outside the dealerships.

I was looking at cars that get good gas mileage, but have some cargo room.

Jetta Sportwagen TDI - First choice for a long time, but issues with the High Pressure Fuel Pump and general VW reliability steered me away.

Prius V - they don't have any with manual transmission, and they didn't seem fun to drive.

The CX-5 seemed to meet our criteria. With the way we drive, it would take 10 years to recoup the cost difference in gas savings in comparison with the Prius, so CX-5 it is

Last edited:
Last night I parked between two CR-V's. One was a current gen in silver and the other previous gen in light blue. I started car shopping last October and considered buying these three vehicles at some point. I'm glad the waited for the CX-5. It's such a better car. The CR-V's are hideous. I don't understand how they sell so many. At the same time, I like that the CX-5 is still rare and unique. I have yet to see another on the road outside the dealerships.

Me and the wife were keen on the CRV with their "EcoBoost" system for the longest until we ran into the CX-5. I was about to make a huge mistake and buy that ugly looking thing, what is up with the rear?! front is OK but damn that's all your engineers could come up with for the back? it's like the hideous Pontiac Aztec with Volvo lights put on it. Thank you Mazda again... perfect timing.

Me and the wife were keen on the CRV with their "EcoBoost" system for the longest until we ran into the CX-5. .

Yes, I think you means the Eco button.

Knowing your emphasis on fuel economy, you selected the compact awd SUV with highest city/highway/combined ratings (CX-5 has higher mpg ratings than 2012 CRV and 2013 Escape, official numbers out for all of these now)

We were at the dealer about to buy a 3 hatchback i grand touring. My wife saw the Cx5 and fell in love. Good thing the mileage is similar or I wouldn't have agreed. I'm not a SUV fan but I do dig the 5 so far.

Last edited:
Ford Edge - Rented one last summer and loved it, but felt it was too expensive
Kia Sportage - Had it ready to go with pricing done last summer, but was reading too many people not getting good mileage.
Toyota Prius - While waiting for the CX-5 inventory to actually arrive I finally priced out a Prius. Was down to final pricing with a dealer when I remembered that I really don't like driving regular cars and prefer SUV's or trucks.
Ford Escape - I couldn't decide if I liked the redesign or not, then the CX-5's came in and I claimed it before it arrived on the truck.

My preference would be a wagon not a CUV, but the choice is just not there in the US.

My perfect car would be:
5 doors with enough space for 2 dogs and plenty of camping equipment
Sports car-ish handling
Row my own gears
RWD

3 out of 4 is not a deal breaker though. Hence why I'll probably get a CX-5. I think it's the Protege5 of 2013.

Looking at:
Used E39 Touring - Coming from a BMW of that vintage I'm pretty sure I don't want the constant cooling system problems again.
Used E60 Touring - Can be had for 20-25 grand on the used market but this car is so freaking complicated. Don't want to imagine the repairs in a few years. Manuals are almost impossible to find.
Sportwagen TDI - Drove one of these but VAG reliability scares me. Also 5 grand more than a CX-5 sport. I admire diesels but I think I might miss the revs of gas. Big plus: incredible resale value.
Forester - Drove one, meh. A hair faster than the CX-5, handles pretty well, but not Mazda well. Pretty numb shifter. Had some rattles and the motor was a bit agricultural. Nowhere near the mileage of a CX-5.

Have not driven but would consider a V70 especially a V70R but I don't think I'm going to go there with used Volvo reliability (AWD plus turbo and the almost unavailability of manual transmission is a lot to go wrong). My wife likes the Benz wagons and I won't rule them completely out. A RWD V6 E-Class should be fairly reliable. At least their cooling systems last a very long time according to my mechanic. However, fun handling is not really in the equation. I don't think prices on the E55 or E63 AMG wagons are coming down anytime soon.

As far as all the other "CUVs" (ugh I hate that term) I wouldn't consider any of them in a million years. No manual tranny, awful handling, hideous cheesy interiors (I'm looking at you Ford, Koreans) or ugly exteriors and mind-numbingly boring (all the other Japanese).

Last edited:
And now back to something resembling a CX-5...

I purposely looked for a SUV since other 2 cars are sport sedans. A SUV is ideal for urban/suburban commutes.

Last edited:
Surprised there is only one other mention of the Tiguan, as that is the only other minisuv I'm aware of that really competes w the cx5 in handling, at least in this price range.

I originally vowed I would buy a crv after suffering through years of unreliability and cvt hell in a murano, but after test driving one I came home and felt like slitting my wrists at the thought of driving that day after day.

So I went and drove a cx5 and liked it. It handled as well as I'd hoped and wasn't as sluggish as I'd feared. The same dealer then put me in a Tiguan however and I loved it. It was more expensive than the cx5 and considerably less well equipped at the trim levels I was considering, but that one toy it did have, the accelerator, kinda made the blind spot monitoring, bixenons, push button start, etc, of the cx5 kinda pale, and the handling was at least as good. So I agonized for days ...

Then that murano had the final say in the matter by dying for good - at the dealer while I was trading it no less, and still deciding between the two cars - so I got a really lousy deal on it and that just made the vw too expensive, and further soured my taste for anything that might be less reliable. I own a cx5 now. Zeal red touring with Bose, sunroof, tech pckg, and remote start. It will do.

Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium: My second choice. I liked the room, but did not have a need for AWD and the handling was not as crisp. Plus, not a big fan of the CVT
Honda CRV:Good reliable vehicle, but I felt that the interior looked dated and it was boring to drive.
Kia Sorento: It's a nice enough vehicle, but it wasn't nearly as much fun as the CX-5 and I felt like it was too much of a "Daddy" vehicle. The Kia brand is greatly improved from what it was a few years ago, but I am still a little bit of a snob I guess.

Latest posts

Back