• trailer hitch (class 1)
  • paint protection, front kit
  • auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass and homelink
  • roof rack
  • retractable cargo cover
  • door sill trim plates
  • paint protection, rear bumper
  • paint protection, door edge

The roof rack seems like something that would hurt aerodynamics & MPG of the vehicle at highway speeds since they stick up and hurt airflow on the vehicle.

With the remote engine start. Can you keep the vehicle running once you get into it or will it shutoff and have to be restarted before you place it into drive?

I like the LED headlights so the Grand Touring TECH PACKAGE is something that I would like. The I-ActivSense system is something that I would not use (Lane Departure). Does the TECH PACKAGE include Smart City Braking? That would be good to have.

Last edited:
I have the I-active on my get and I'm with you that the lane departure isn't its biggest selling point. I don't hate it but I don't love it either, I'm neutral on that aspect of it. What I really like is the radar cruise control and the adaptive front headlights that turn as you turn. I was on the fence about getting it but decided I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Or want it and not have it.
I don't think the rear parking sensors are worth it. It has cross traffic alert and a review camera plus two side mirrors and a center rear view mirror and unless you have sustained some sort of injury your head should be able to turn to a degree to see behind you. Better things to spend $400 on.
Remote engine start, I don't like how the regular key fob can't be programmed to work with remote start and paying a yearly fee for Mazda Mobile start isn't sitting well with me yet.
Don't get the Mazda factory hitch, it's way over priced and the bumper needs to be cut to install. Etrailer.com has the curt class I and class II hitch for much less and no cutting of the car required.
Paint protection kit, I would look aftermarket for that. I was told the Mazda stuff is t that great.
Roof rack will be one of those things that if you use it you'll love it. They come in handy and I find the tiny hit to mpg is often out weighed by the racks usefulness. And if you're worried about mpg you can always remove the crossbars until you need them.
The rear cargo cover really is the best option for the car, fight the dealer to get them to throw it in. It goes up with the door and reveals a section that still allows you see through it into the car. Very slick.
I thought the pen door sill plates were over priced and the rear ones two small. I ordered some cheap ones from eBay, we'll see how well they hold up.
Go aftermarket for all ppf or for the number get a bumper guard for that.

IMO:

• GRAND TOURING TECH PACKAGE - Definitely yes!
  • I-ACTIVSENSE PACKAGE - No.

• remote engine start - No.
  • parking sensors, rear - No. Why you need it when you have back-up camera?
  • trailer hitch (class 1) - Not for me.
  • paint protection, front kit - Depends.
  • auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass and homelink - No. Included in Tech Package without compass.
  • roof rack - Not for me.
  • retractable cargo cover - Yes.
  • door sill trim plates - No.
  • paint protection, rear bumper - No.
  • paint protection, door edge - No.

Tech Package does include Smart City Brake Support. And you forgot to mention another option to select - Active Torque Split AWD!

Roof rack will be one of those things that if you use it you'll love it. They come in handy and I find the tiny hit to mpg is often out weighed by the racks usefulness. And if you're worried about mpg you can always remove the crossbars until you need them.

Remote engine start, I don't like how the regular key fob can't be programmed to work with remote start and paying a yearly fee for Mazda Mobile start isn't sitting well with me yet.

If you put something on the roof using the roof rack, wouldn't it end up scratching the roof of the CUV?

Do you experience any additional wind noise with the roof rack?

How does the remote start work? Do you use a phone APP to start the car? Does it remain running until you get into the vehicle and put it into drive?

IMO:

• GRAND TOURING TECH PACKAGE - Definitely yes!
  • I-ACTIVSENSE PACKAGE - No.

• remote engine start - No.
  • parking sensors, rear - No. Why you need it when you have back-up camera?
  • trailer hitch (class 1) - Not for me.
  • paint protection, front kit - Depends.
  • auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass and homelink - No. Included in Tech Package without compass.
  • roof rack - Not for me.
  • retractable cargo cover - Yes.
  • door sill trim plates - No.
  • paint protection, rear bumper - No.
  • paint protection, door edge - No.

Tech Package does include Smart City Brake Support. And you forgot to mention another option to select - Active Torque Split AWD!

Yes, it will be an AWD

IMO.. avoid the Mazda OEM class I hitch... get a Class III

The Curt Class III is fine... I put this Hidden Hitch Class III on mine.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Mazda/CX-5/2015/87623.html?vehicleid=2015308412

87623_01_0016_1000.jpg

Specs:
Receiver opening: 2" x 2"
Rating: Class III
Maximum gross trailer weight: 3,500 lbs
Maximum tongue weight: 525 lbs
Not rated for use with weight-distribution systems
Limited lifetime warranty

The tongue weight rating alone will allow you to carry a lot more even if you aren't towing a trailer.

If you put something on the roof using the roof rack, wouldn't it end up scratching the roof of the CUV?

How does the remote start work? Do you use a phone APP to start the car? Does it remain running until you get into the vehicle and put it into drive?

No scratching with this roof rack add-on

https://www.yakima.com/loadwarrior

I don't discern any wind noise with roof rack..but when I add basket there is some... and a MPG penalty depending on the load.

IMG_5092.png

IMG_5094.png

[*] remote engine start - Nice for cold climates. I installed it myself.

[*]parking sensors, rear - The rear camera isn't good enough for you?

[*]trailer hitch (class 1) - NO. Get the Curt class III.

[*]paint protection, front kit - Good to have for chips and such, but look for after market installers and compare to dealer price.

[*]auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass and homelink - Nice. I got mine from a junk yard Nissan and installed it myself with an installation kit for a Mazda 6 that I bought on ebay. Total cost under $70.

[*]roof rack - Not for me. You can use a tray that mounts on the hitch.

[*]retractable cargo cover - Yes. Recommended.

[*]door sill trim plates - I got mine from AliExpress, about $15.00 shipped and I installed them myself, very easy to install.

[*]paint protection, rear bumper - Same as front kit.

[*]paint protection, door edge - See above.

The roof rack seems like something that would hurt aerodynamics & MPG of the vehicle at highway speeds since they stick up and hurt airflow on the vehicle. - Seems that way to me, but I have no proof.

With the remote engine start. Can you keep the vehicle running once you get into it or will it shutoff and have to be restarted before you place it into drive? - You must restart.

Last edited:

I'm a bit confused at your question here. The whole point of the roof rack is to allow you to carry things on top of the car with out having to put them directly on the painted roof. The stuff would sit a few inches off the roof on top of the roof rack. The rack also provides you with a way to secure the load to the rack and not having to run straps thru the car interior or something like that.

I don't currently have a roof rack but I have been researching them and trying to decide which one to get. The problem with the factory rack system (for me) is that it sits a bit to far to the rear to allow my bicycle carriers to be mounted to them with out interfering with the opening of the rear hatch. I'm considering getting either the Yakima Whispbar rack system or the thule aeroblade racks and installing the foot kits to were the factory side bars mount. That should allow me to place the rack slightly more forward then the OEM one allows.

I've had racks on other cars and have never really noticed additional wind noise, wind noise never seems to bother me, I just get use to it or tune it out or it isn't there to begin with. Some reviews say the CX-5 has a fair amount of wind noise even with out the rack but I've never noticed and it doesn't bother me. I recently went about repairing a playset system for my daughter and would have liked a roof rack in order to get the one 12ft 4x4 home by strapping it to a roof rack rather then having to borrow the father in laws truck or having it stick way out the back end.

I don't have a remote start but I'm considering it. There are two different remote starts offered from Mazda. One is a regular remote start system that uses a separate key fob to activate the engine start. That's my biggest gripe with that one, the need for a second remote. A lot of cars allow the regular key fob to reprogrammed to work with the remote starter, usually three "clicks" of either lock or unlock will start a car and no need for a second fob on the key ring. For instance, one click - unlock driver door, two clicks - unlock all doors, three clicks - lock all doors and start engine, it locks the doors for safety so someone can't try to steal the car even though if you depress the brake pedal with out the key in it will shut off. Now it get interesting with the keyless entry and push button start since there is no way to actually put the key into the ignition. I suspect that is why a second is necessary in the CX-5's case. I don't know exactly the working of the remote start and how it unlocks the car or if it shuts off when you unlock the doors. The standard remote start is a line of sight system much like the regular keyfob, the car has to be in range of the fob in order to start.

The second remote start is Mazda's Mobil start. This system utilizes an app on a smart phone to activate the remote start function and allows the user the remotely lock and unlock the doors. It uses a cell signal or 3g/4g connection, I'm not sure which exactly. Because of having to use some sort of cell signal there is an annual fee associated with using it, a subscription. The first year is free and then it's $65 per year after that. I like the idea of that system as it allows one to control the climate control from the mobile app, so there is no need to make sure you leave the climate control adjusted before exiting the car. I wish Mazda would offer some sort of discount plan for the subscription, something like $65 for one year, $120 for 2 years and $165 for 3 years or something. You can read more about the Mazda Mobil Start here: https://www.mazdamobilestart.com/index.jsp

https://www.mazdamobilestart.com/index.jsp[/URL]

This remote start option seems better suited for me. Does anything have to be ordered on the car or are all 2016 CX'5s remote start "app capable" ?

I wonder with this option if the car will TURN OFF once you get into it. That part I don't like because once inside the car you want to drive away but if it turns off you then have to restart it. Not a big deal but kind of a wasted starter effort.

The other remote start is a $500 option from Mazda and like you said, needs a second remote which I don't like.

The pricing will probably come down after more people get it. It's the initial cost that has to be offset for whoever developed the app.

If you get the moonroof/sunroof option, can you still get the roof rack or would the bars get in the way of the moonroof glass?

we got the roof rails only at purchase, figured to add the cross bars later aftermarket ((less expensive)
cross bars are still above the moonroof, as they fit midway between top/bottom of rails

all the aftermarket cross bars, carriers seen in various posts here are well clear of the roof itself

Last edited:
  • remote engine start.....we have the std remote offered from mazda. The extra FOB seemed a pain at first, but really, the wife just keeps it in her purse when needed. After the door opening, the engine does shut down and I still don't get that, but its turned into a non-issue. this remote is not the best, but I felt this was better than causing any electronic issues by using an aftermarket.
  • parking sensors, rear
  • trailer hitch (class 1)
  • paint protection, front kit....Most dealers farm this out to a 3rd party. got the full 3M before taking delivery. Hood, bumper, grill, headlights, fogs, mirrors. I checked pricing before making the deal. So I went through the dealer but it was done at the same shop if I would have done it myself for a lot less.
  • auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass and homelink
  • roof rack
  • retractable cargo cover..good fit, and works like it should. Good coverage for your cargo.
  • door sill trim plates...(looking at these right now, was going to do 3M, but we'll see)
  • paint protection, rear bumper......3M works great
  • paint protection, door edge
  • OEM all weather mats.......work ok.
  • Oem rear cargo mat..........excellent coverage for the carpet where you haul all kinds of stuff

I got all my extras while making a deal on the original purchase. Had a number in mind for the car, then got all the extra thrown in for a "real" good price. Package deal.
QUOTE]

Not sure if this was just a dealership thing but they gave me a paper statement that my 3M had a lifetime warranty on it. If anything peals or discolors they will replace it.

IIRC... the shop that did the 3M on my G35x back in 2007 only gave me a 5 year warranty.

Not sure if this was just a dealership thing but they gave me a paper statement that my 3M had a lifetime warranty on it. If anything peals or discolors they will replace it.
QUOTE]

I got the same statement, another good reason to go through the dealer. Mind you, the 3M shop that did the install, has great customer service, and they back their stuff up 100%, sort of a double guarantee.

Back