What mod would you do next?

Magus

:
Madza3 2005 5-speed
1.) mazda mx6 2.0 4-2-1 header w/ custom midpipe

2.) tokico illumina struts with espelir springs

Number 2 for sure. Not that I'm an expert on Protege5 mods by any means, but that seems to be the more noticable of the two.

If you were to go with a cat-back exhaust in adition to the header and midpipe then I would definitly say option 1.

I guess it all depends on the kind of roads you drive on. If you are constanly twisting and turning then I would say the Illuminas and springs but if you are driving mostly in a suburban/city setting then I would say the header and mid pipe.

If I remember Elkton correctly (I grew up in Wheaton/Silver Spring) then I would recommend the header and midpipe.

The real question is do you want the performance in power or handling. I would personally go with the header. My question is why dont you get a OBX,or a Thunder header instead?

Hmmmm, let me give you guys some more information:

-mostly straight and I do alot of travel to Baltimore for classes and my Aunt's (which I stay at during the week to go to work in Laurel)

-there are times when you get a curve or two, plus I AutoX

-118,000+ miles orignal shocks since I have owned it (45,000)

The reason I am looking at the mx-6 header is real simple. A OBX header from protegegarage is $240 and a 4-1 design. Honestly, it is the most straight forward to install. With a little bit of work (close off old egr bung, weld on new egr bung, custom high flow cat midpipe, and lengthed O2 sensor wire) the mx6 header will help free up flow with loss of prim cat, but not lose as much torque. If the 626 single runner manifold yelds decent results, this will give awesome air in, and air out. I have seen the header on Ebay for about $130 with shipping and with custom midpipe I would probably spend ~$300. Much better deal then the Thunder header, the Mazda header or the like. I might get a catback, it just depends on money. I have an exhaust shop I need to talk to about the work on the header. If they can cut me a deal (probably), I might go with a custom catback also. I just can not justify $450 for the racing beat catback. Plus, I am not sure if I would get the sound I want with the new header (non raspy) or the same flow. The reason I say flow is looking at the fact that racing beat is not 2.25 (recoomended size) it pipe is 2.375". Well I will wait and see the diameter of the header before I make a decision on piping.

Do you think the suspension choice is a good one? I want something that is going to last and I am not going to have to rebuild constantly like a coilover. If any one has a coilover suspension under $1500, it's been good to you without rebuilds, and is not to overly rough compared to stock like me know.

Last edited:
Oh the other reason I am leaning a little to the header is autoX and freeway. I was told by a fellow driver who drove my car (drives a RX-8) that my car is missing power. Well I await some more comments.

I know the auto is the source for now, but I am researching ways to make the auto a postive. I also figure the cross drilled holes will reduce unsprung weight and give a few hp. Eventually I think I will get 15" wheels that are lighter.

-value body
-trans cooler
-syn tranny fluid
-lsd
-torque converter

Since your auto and fubar for power no mater what i would say go option number 2 and at least have a decent handling car.

You should change the struts (mostly worn out at 45K miles) because they will cause the tires to cup (badbadbad).

BTW...the 2.375 inch exhaust is the Recommended size, it has been researced to give the best backpressure vs. exhuast pulse for our engine naturally aspirated. So if you do custom, go with 2.375", you will not be dissapointed.

The suspension you've choosen is GREAT for daily driving/autocross...The espelirs match wonderfully with he HPs and you'd save yourself a couple hundred bucks over the Illuminas...Use that money for the header...

What you do depends on what you want...A little more power, which is all you'll ever really get, or a LOT better handling...

So who here thinks Illuminas are a waste of money compared to getting hp's (tokico blues right)?

There is still an possiblity of both. I might go ahead and buy the header for later. It's a hard part to fine vs the others, plus it's at a good price right now. If you all recommend Hp's vs Illuminas, where is a good place to get them at a good price?

my question is why go with the HP's when they are not adjustable? unless i'm wrong, but all i know is i used to drive maximas, and the HP's were crap and then when i changed to the illuminas there was a huge difference. but i dont know if it's different with P5's.

but to answer your question, i would go with suspension. like stated before, headers are a little more power and the suspension is a lot better handling which will result in better track times than just headers.

and about your other question. protege garage has good deals on the suspension. sometimes ebay will have it as well.

Well I would get everything from protegegarage, but they do not have the springs. I figure I would get the Illuminas from protegegarage and the springs else where. I figure I need the msp bumpstops too.

Back