what is wheel hop??

:
03 MSP > 03.5 MSP > 05 Evo8 GSR > 10 EvoX MR-t > 96 MX-5
ok
someone, in great detail, explain to me what is wheel hop.

"When launching, with front wheel drive cars, the weight transfers to the rear of the car, reducing traction in the front. As the front tires break traction, the forces on the suspension and engine also change, setting them into motion. When the tires grab again, the forces change back the other way, now applied to a system already in motion. Now we have an oscillating force applied to an oscillating system, much like a hitting a paddleball."
http://features.evolutionm.net/article/rrmcorner/14

thanks, so it refers to the actual wheels hopping on the ground. nice.

To see a good example of (rear) wheel-hop, watch the chase scene from Bullit. When McQueen overshoots a turn, he reverses and the axle boogies all over the place.

To experience wheel-hop, merely get in your MSP and mash the throttle. Make sure you start it first, of course.

sorry to thread jack but has anyone ever severly ****** their shifter from wheel hop? i'm just asking because one time the wheel hop was so bad my shifter started jumping up and down. after that my shifter was like a 360 degree joystick in pretty much every gear.

Dr.Sound said:
wheel hop WILL destroy motor mounts, correct?

yeah man, it can warp your stock motor mounts. i want to check my rear one to see if it is ok. i reduced the wheel hop with some RR Racing motor mount inserts. still some there, but not as much as before.

i know mike,
i think my rear is gone.....
imma go under and check tomorrow morning

i had ACT clutch and Fidanza flywheel put in today at Tripoint.
all i can say is WOW.

Last edited:
Dr.Sound said:
i know mike,
i think my rear is gone.....
imma go under and check tomorrow morning

i had ACT clutch and Fidanza flywheel done today at Tripoint.

nice! how does it feel??

yeah, just take a flashlight and look at your rear mount.

rpm's just fly up.
response is way better.
it feels like i lost 2 people in the back seat.

Dr.Sound said:
wheel hop WILL destroy motor mounts, correct?
from what I understand, you should be more worried about your LSD.

I don't have wheel hop anymore, but my car sure does shake and rattle like a motherfucker.

Brian MP5T said:
Wheel Hop Will Destroy Driveshafts..

that and your LSD, on the MSP the LSD will go before the driveshafts

get some motor mounts for sure

It's too bad that car companies don't make a car that can come from the factory ready for the track... Oh I forgot... Porsche Carrera GT... I guess they do...

gt1.jpg

lol yeah but there is a big difference in price

I would love to have that car though

Back