What is needed for turbo

:
Indiana
:
2017 CX-5
I'm interested in getting a MP3 (wife has protege5) but I want more power. The problem is I don't know much about turbo. I don't even know the difference in turbo and supercharged. What I want is to buy a MP3 and boost it but I want it to be as close to a factory install as possible. Where can I get to info to make this happen (books, advice). What is the list of parts needed when adding turbo (I know clutch). The rest I'm clueless on.

Also, what is the estimated increase in hp and tq?

Last edited:
If you want it to be close to stock then get an MSP.

And all you'll need to tubo charge any car is enough money. Since you don't know even what parts to use, it's best to leave it to the professionals.

PS: there are some boosted MP3s currently for sale. Check the for sale section.

TX Speed Demon said:
If you want it to be close to stock then get an MSP.

And all you'll need to tubo charge any car is enough money. Since you don't know even what parts to use, it's best to leave it to the professionals.

PS: there are some boosted MP3s currently for sale. Check the for sale section.

I would definitely let the professionals do it but I want to know as much about it as I can. I wouldn't mind a MSP especially the Spicy Orange but I'm wondering if I can do better by boosting a MP3.

Yes you could do better than a stock MSP.

I run with Linux Racer who has a turbo MP3 with the flying Miata Stage 1 (I think) and he is faster than me every time. But I'm in an MSP at stock boost. If you set up your MSP like Discreet Speed and make required modifications to handle higher boost levels (same or similar modifications will be required for an MP3) you could be just as fast or faster. It should cost you less since you allready have the turbo in an MSP, but the T25 turbo in the MSP is pretty small and can not transmit the same amount of power as a larger turbo such as a T3/T4 found in many boosted MP3s and P5s.

And you can get a used MSP for around 12-13K or a new one for around 16K. The orange ones are hard to find though. Used MP3s aren't that much cheaper and don't have the ECU, turbo, intercooler and other goodies. Good luck.

If I were you I'd buy this one. Turbo MP3 hell, for 12.5K I'm thinking of buying it myself to sell for a profit.

Last edited:
TX Speed Demon said:
If I were you I'd buy this one. Turbo MP3 hell, for 12.5K I'm thinking of buying it myself to sell for a profit.

Yeah, I would love that car. The problem is my wife's pr5 is yellow and I don't want two yellow cars in the driveway. It really doesn't matter much at this point. I'm just entertaining ideas for the future. I want to get a new car in about 6-12 months and i want everything planned out for the future of the vehicle of choice.

read cocky bell's turbo book, it explain everthing.

turbo is a air pump that push(force) air into the engine(induction).
you only can push out so much with a N/a motor but with a turbo, your motor gets much more air, now you need more fuel and timing/spark to make it run.

tunning makes alot of horsepower, I am not talking about those down the street bob's autoplace, I am talking about dyno tunning with fuel management computer and a/f ratio tunning.

another BIG issue you want to research is the internal, of the motor itself.
with boost, you probably want to get some forged piston with sleeve and waterjacket, etc, you might want to look for piston with a lower compression ratio to go with the turbo setup.

turbo is a cheaper way for speed vs. NA but it's not cheap at all.

i can give you a list of stuff you'll need

turbo(t3t04 or t25,etc)
downpipe(with o2 bung
high pressure fuel pump
SS oil supply line
SS oil return line with fitting in oil pan
intercooler(SMIC or FMIC, even water to air would do)
intercooler piping(bov fitting)
bov
wastegate(external or internal)
turbo manifold
all the gaskets
boost gauge
a/f gauge(better than nothing to say the least)
Map/Maf bypass(depends of which system from mazda)
FUEL MANAGEMENT UNIT(greddy, AEM EMS, APExi SAFC, etc)
FMU(not require if running a electronic fmu)
additional injectors(or bigger injector upgrade)
boost controller(optional but cool to have)
colder spark plugs(just in case they overheat)

edit: forgot a few things
fuel pressure regulator
Fuel pressure Gauge

Last edited:
Back