What have you done to your P5 today?

installed a racing beat cat back exhaust to replace my Mazda speed axel back and started to test my cats and o2 sensors to figure out what is throwing my CEL by putting non-foulers on my o2 sensors so far I'm not getting any codes. can you guys recommend a header other than eBay for the p5? I may just get that and run a straight pipe to the resonator.

Hey hatch so how do you like the cat back? Which one sounds better axel back or cat back?

so do I, I have not yet opened the lights but can foresee turn signal relocation happening, I will be looking at mini h1 and mini d2s dimensions as I have used both before with no problems. i will be looking at amber led halos as a turn signal alternative if needed.

I was going to do the Quad retro's.
one pair was going to be H1 the other H4. this would allow for twin Low beam and Quad high beam.

Syetem was going to have one pair of retro's with an amber Halo (option) and the other pair as white Halo's.
So the amber Halo's would act as your new, super duper awesome, sexy and visible indicators... and the white halo's as your parkers.

EDIT: only half read your post shane lol, I see you had the same thoughts as I did.

I reckon it would look super clean with the amber turn signals.

I was going to do the Quad retro's.
one pair was going to be H1 the other H4. this would allow for twin Low beam and Quad high beam.

Syetem was going to have one pair of retro's with an amber Halo (option) and the other pair as white Halo's.
So the amber Halo's would act as your new, super duper awesome, sexy and visible indicators... and the white halo's as your parkers.

EDIT: only half read your post shane lol, I see you had the same thoughts as I did.

I reckon it would look super clean with the amber turn signals.

I'm thinking 4 amber halos and 4 white ones, it will become obvious when I do it what I'm up to. :)

installed a racing beat cat back exhaust to replace my Mazda speed axel back and started to test my cats and o2 sensors to figure out what is throwing my CEL by putting non-foulers on my o2 sensors so far I'm not getting any codes. can you guys recommend a header other than eBay for the p5? I may just get that and run a straight pipe to the resonator.

pacemaker or awr if you can find them. or you could get an mx-6 header (an actual 4-2-1 design) and have an exhaust shop fix the egr bung so it can be run on the protege.

Finally took the car out on a road trip. Went on a bit of a convoy with a NA Miata and 2013 Honda Fit sport near Santa Barbara. Went up a bunch of mountain roads and highways, Protege5 handled like a dream. Nearly undetectable body roll and predictable handling made it a great weekend. If anyone is in the area, highway 33 is an absolute blast to drive. I went at 630 AM and only saw one other car. A bug eye Subaru, which I am sure was up there for the same reason I was.

Here are some pics of the trip.

Me on the right, I guess looking at the view! Also, my emblem isn't blacked out, I actually took it off since it was getting a little loose.
<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=5AA886B2BC80B78C&resid=5AA886B2BC80B78C%21256&authkey=ALTwb6D5AYb_D3k" width="320" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

We no more than 45 minutes into the mountain road when we pulled off on this turnout for a break. My car started dumping coolant, figured that would be the end of the trip! Luckily it was just coming out of the coolant overflow spout. Guess I had a little too much in it, never overheated even with spirited driving.
<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=5AA886B2BC80B78C&resid=5AA886B2BC80B78C%21257&authkey=ADmic07LIJK75GQ" width="320" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Spent the night at a campsite and slept in our cars. I am 6 foot 4, and the protege did fairly decent! Felt just fine when I woke up. However, earlier that day my buddy who has the Miata decided it would be funny to freak me out while I was sitting on the car by popping it in neutral and letting it roll. Idiot pressed the clutch instead of the brake! So now my car has some more scars from running into a sign post and a couple boulders. Broke half the clips and some of the cross sections on the lower grill. He is buying spray gun supplies though so we are going to have a Mighty Car Mods day to get it painted and repaired.
<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=5AA886B2BC80B78C&resid=5AA886B2BC80B78C%21258&authkey=AA2yFIWhiO75f9M" width="320" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

I actually ran over a rock on Highway 33 and I immediately thought shattered oil pan, but all the damage I could find was a plastic piece about the size of the ashtray. I have no clue where it came from, i'll put up a pic when I can find it.

Averaged 33.5 MPG on the way up, although I was only going about 60 the whole time. Averaged 26.5 MPG with half of the tank being spirited mountain driving and having the RPM pegged at 4,000 for most of the way home. Definitely pleased with those numbers! This wouldn't be my number 1 long distance road trip car, but it more than made up for that in the mountains.

^ wish I knew your were up in the area. I live in Santa Barbara and know the 33 very well. Looks like you went to pine mt from the photos.

^ LOL, so it's been 9 hours and no pics of the dipped window trim? I'm dissappointed in you, that was going to be the highlight of my day.

34srvvm.jpg

plastidip on the rear badges, cut out the "5" on protgege5 so it is red on top and silver on the sides, also cut my Mazda logo into an EVIL M

2mcudmf.jpg

yes yes i know, it looks sloppy. I cleaned it up after though :p

Overall I am satisfied with my results :)

I want to plastidip or paint the bumper pad cover so that it is a deeper black, it looks ugly and faded as of now

^ i painted my bumper pad with a few coats of krylon fusion black. looked so amazing afterwards. I highly recommend doing that.

so ive got the itch for something in the project car world and keep the p5 as it is now. im looking a lot at V70 T5s as my buddy has a 98 with a tune and exhaust and the thing is just a beast. doesnt handle anywhere near the p5 but its got so much power in an incognito silver wagon. I tested out an 02 last night and the thing was just eh. drive by wire = not fun even with 240hp stock. gotta keep looking for something!

Drive by wire =
13734764_my-face-when-ultra-gaaaay-homophobic-seal.jpg

My wife's 2.3L Mazda3 is faster than my P5 (says the speedometer) but I sure can't feel or enjoy it. I'll take my 100 WHP go kart, thanks.

P.S. I've always been curious if anyone has attempted to replace the drive by wire with a real cable throttle. I assume you will receive some sort of CEL issue by removing the throttle motor. Also, I don't know what other issues would be encountered

Last edited:
Put in new spark plugs..and installed my new black tail lights..loving the new look..and she's running much better..still have some other mods I have in mind too..

Put in a new downstream O2 Sensor, got rid of that nasty CEL and running noticeably stronger. Course it's NEVER had the o2 sensor out so it was stuck in hard, took the heat shield off, or tried, ended up breaking off 2 of the 3 bolts, so now needing to tap and get a new shield.

The pipe looks pretty nasty rusty so I might just skip it and avoid parking over leaves, lol.

Rolled over 239k today too.

Well it took 8 days but I am finally done. Previous owner painted the Valve cover red, It was peeling bad and looked terrible every time I popped hood to show what the p5 is working with it was like ehhh. Tried taking off the paint with the cover on but got frustrated and just removed it. First stop was the work bench and I used the grinder to remove the MAZDA and 16 VALVE DOHC logos. 8 days of hand sanding and two hours of polishing. I am pleased with the outcome.

Last edited:
Yesterday I relocated the bluetooth adapter from the dash to the e-brake panel. Much easier to see and operate now while driving.

Met up with Mazda3UR today to work on the lights. Thought I had some spots on the inside lens but they ended up being on the outside....looked as if some acid of some sort was dripped on them? Since they were baked open he cleaned up the inside of the lenses real nice as well as sealed them up nice and tight, sadly a retrofit was not part of the day's activities but the plug and play HID kit was yanked. :( While we had them off the car I hit them up with this https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) Picked it up at AZ for $20 and have to say I'm very pleased with the results but we'll see how they look in 3 months.

Didn't take any before pics but here is one to give an idea of what they looked like
attachment.php

Like new :D
attachment.php

attachment.php

Chicks are putting eyelashes on their lights so I thought I'd try some eyeliner. Since the UV block wasn't fully cured I left the tape on for the drive home. lol
attachment.php

Attachments

• P5 - 32912.jpg
    P5 - 32912.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 464
  • 20130420_172747.jpg
    20130420_172747.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,200
  • 20130420_172759.jpg
    20130420_172759.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 524
  • 20130420_184338.jpg
    20130420_184338.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
KMR ladder bar was installed:

as was the rear KMR Rear strut bar

I need a solid mount now or urethane hangers as the exhaust hits the ladder bar and makes alot of noise. But i can definately feel a difference in the cars attitude now.

KMR ladder bar was installed:

I need a solid mount now or urethane hangers as the exhaust hits the ladder bar and makes alot of noise. But i can definately feel a difference in the cars attitude now.

how did you mount that rear bar? interested in seeing since it was designed for a sedan.

Back