What have you done to your MSP today?

They are a little bigger inside, and the hatch is nice to have. I know lots of people with MS3s, first and second gen and I prefer the MSP. They do have a lot of potential though and can make a lot more power on the stock motor. That's not to say plenty of them haven't gone zoom zoom boom though

Swapped black housing P5 headlights onto 1574 today with some HID low beam bulbs. Decided to get a helicoil kit to repair the exhaust mani threads instead of replacing the head completely, once that is done hopefully I can fix the EGR code and get the registration updated so I can sell it.

How is it bigger then your speed though

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Because it is. ???
It's slightly larger.
Did I make this move for more room? No, not really. I wanted something to replace the RX8 and, unfortunately, I sacrificed the MSP to do so. What I wanted was something quick, fun, dependable and to have creature comforts. This car won't get treated like the MSP as a toy. At least not anytime soon. Will it get modified? Absolutely, but nothing crazy. I love hatchbacks also. Got a good deal on this car. It came down to:

2007 CX7 Sport AWD
2009 Mazda 6s Touring
2007 Mazdaspeed 3

I don't know if you've ever been in a CX7, but they're not big. Its only slightly larger than a 3 inside. I wanted a CX7 which was really what the plan was when I sold the MSP, but these other two popped up nearby. The CX7 was really a sacrifice. I was buying one of those three this week, just lucky the MS3 played out the way it did and I drove it home yesterday. This has been one of the toughest car buying experiences ever, but after seeing the car and driving it last week, I knew I had to get it. There's so much bulls*** related to this that I've dealt with the last two weeks. I did everything I could to get this car before I went with a CX7 or the 6s. This was only being sold because the owner wanted a low-mileage E46 M car he'd found and needed the money so he could get it, but it sold mid negotiations between he and I and he decided not to sell. That was the biggest hurdle.

I needed something a little newer, nicer, safer and "sporty". Basically less 25-year-old Chris, more 32-year-old Chris with two small children and $6,000 to spend to own outright. Plus throw in the requirement that it be a Mazda. That's what you're left with. I personally think I made the best choice to fit me and my situation. I'm glad I got the 3.

It makes fun, reliable power in a nice package for a cheap price.

Ultimately it comes down to priorities changing, but still holding on to that "fun" side of the car.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Because it is. ???
It's slightly larger.
Did I make this move for more room? No, not really. I wanted something to replace the RX8 and, unfortunately, I sacrificed the MSP to do so. What I wanted was something quick, fun, dependable and to have creature comforts. This car won't get treated like the MSP as a toy. At least not anytime soon. Will it get modified? Absolutely, but nothing crazy. I love hatchbacks also. Got a good deal on this car. It came down to:

2007 CX7 Sport AWD
2009 Mazda 6s Touring
2007 Mazdaspeed 3

I don't know if you've ever been in a CX7, but they're not big. Its only slightly larger than a 3 inside. I wanted a CX7 which was really what the plan was when I sold the MSP, but these other two popped up nearby. The CX7 was really a sacrifice. I was buying one of those three this week, just lucky the MS3 played out the way it did and I drove it home yesterday. This has been one of the toughest car buying experiences ever, but after seeing the car and driving it last week, I knew I had to get it. There's so much bulls*** related to this that I've dealt with the last two weeks. I did everything I could to get this car before I went with a CX7 or the 6s. This was only being sold because the owner wanted a low-mileage E46 M car he'd found and needed the money so he could get it, but it sold mid negotiations between he and I and he decided not to sell. That was the biggest hurdle.

I needed something a little newer, nicer, safer and "sporty". Basically less 25-year-old Chris, more 32-year-old Chris with two small children and $6,000 to spend to own outright. Plus throw in the requirement that it be a Mazda. That's what you're left with. I personally think I made the best choice to fit me and my situation. I'm glad I got the 3.

It makes fun, reliable power in a nice package for a cheap price.

Ultimately it comes down to priorities changing, but still holding on to that "fun" side of the car.

Oh it's a speed 3 sweet

You're the third person who hasn't realized it's a 'Speed!?

What!?!?! Blasphemy!!!!
Only the second gen has the scoop.
Bumper cover, hood, wheels, etc are different than a regular 3

I drove a bone-stock '08 with right about 100K on it. The only mod was motor mounts. A couple things caught my attention: The 3 isnt much bigger, if any, than an MSP on the inside. I'm pretty tall and it was much tighter than I thought it would be. Also, the 'speed3 didn't feel much quicker than my never-modded MSP. Maybe it's because the Protege is lighter weight.

One thing I definitely learned. If I do buy an MS3 one day I WON'T put urethane MMs in. It'll ruin it. Why trade in the zoom zoom for bzzzzz bzzzz? I think the guy even had the softer 70s but it was still WAY too noticeable. I'd rather swap em out every 5 years or so then drive around vibrating like a human dildo.

WARNING: RANT COMING UP(cheers)

Been lurking around here on and off figured id post some stuff up . Glad to see there is till some activity in here. Anyways
Not that anyone really cares but my old MSP continues to follow me around lol.
People who buy/bought it, always seem to find me and have some sort of question about it. Well anyways from what i know the car is now done. The guy i sold it to, sold it off to another guy. He ended up rear ending someone and sold it off to another guy. That guy hit me up saying he totaled it

first crash (2nd owner after me)

https://flic.kr/p/LQVdEU by korbancorbett, on Flickr

then the next guy "totaled it" (only pic i was able to get of it)

https://flic.kr/p/MevUr3 by korbancorbett, on Flickr

sad to see it never made it into the hands of an enthusiast. Anyways here are a few pics of it in its prime

booty by korbancorbett, on Flickr
anaheim street crop by korbancorbett, on Flickr

I drove a bone-stock '08 with right about 100K on it. The only mod was motor mounts. A couple things caught my attention: The 3 isnt much bigger, if any, than an MSP on the inside. I'm pretty tall and it was much tighter than I thought it would be. Also, the 'speed3 didn't feel much quicker than my never-modded MSP. Maybe it's because the Protege is lighter weight.

One thing I definitely learned. If I do buy an MS3 one day I WON'T put urethane MMs in. It'll ruin it. Why trade in the zoom zoom for bzzzzz bzzzz? I think the guy even had the softer 70s but it was still WAY too noticeable. I'd rather swap em out every 5 years or so then drive around vibrating like a human dildo.
never drove in a 1st gen MS3 but the 2nd gens are fast. but i agree on the mounts. those things are a killer for any daily driver

Because it is. ???
It's slightly larger.

I relate on so many levels. Only, my purchase of the MSP was an attempt to stop daily driving the RX8 as opposed to selling it, and I still have to be able to haul 2 kids and not hate life driving an appliance. I think you made a great choice.

I've been busy this week. 1552 got a new oil pan, had an exhaust leak at the downpipe sorted, and got new tires. Today, I took some time and buffed out the paint on the roof and trunk. I also took it and got the transfer finalized and the plates in route. Started to get something personalized, but decided against it. Local Mazda group has a lake cruise in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping to make it out. Still need to lift the car (previous owner has it pretty slammed on the YellowSpeed coilovers and it rides for poop.) and replace the busted swaybar endlinks. Anyone have any suggestions on good endlinks? I can go OEM, but I'm not opposed to something aftermarket if it will hold up better.

For the front endlinks you can get Moog endlinks for a Ford escape 2wd. They are the front for the escape and fit on the front of the MSP, larger in diameter, greaseable bushings and are a direct bolt on. Oh and they are cheaper

Never did learn much about them. They are still expensive

There are several on craigslist for ~$7k, that's close to what I paid for my MSP back in 2010. Considering they cost more than the Protege, are much more refined and make more power (not to mention inflation, etc) that's not necessarily 'expensive'

I paid more for my MSP in 2011 than I did this car.
And the MS3 is a lot more car.

I bet your MSP on 20psi is a lot faster, but the speed3s are definitely more modern and advanced. Many more were made and parts are cheaper and much easier to find. They are heavier but safer, and the front brakes on them are huge (came from a volvo C30 I believe). Main things I don't like are the cable shifter and the drive by wire gas pedal. They certainly aren't as organic and connected feeling as the MSP but for a daily they are a better choice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back