What have you done to your MSP today?

I did too, I have never done autocross. I don't see how you know where the 'track' is, the cones get very confusing.

I did too, I have never done autocross. I don't see how you know where the 'track' is, the cones get very confusing.

Best thing you can do is to sign up as a novice and show up. The SCCA events are REALLY good about teaching novices what they need to know for their first time. They explain what the cones mean, how to "read" the track, and then take you on a walk around the course to understand what you should be thinking about at each position. While it looks intimidating at first, it starts to make sense when it's explained to you.

It's different when you walk the course. I thought the same thing before I tried it for the first time.

Cut out the front glass and made a polycarb window to shed weight. Took a lot of time and patience.

IMAG1118_zps987125a4.jpg

Also, removed the side glass and made polycarb replacements

IMAG1109_zpsb6609154.jpg

(ughdance)

Under WOT at 16psi, spiking to 19psi, the car will cut out for a split second (WOT---------3.2k./../.....././././.4.2k.........6.5k) The slashes indicate the occurrence if that makes sense. The higher RPM I am the more it does it, closer together, but after boost settles to 16psi, it subsides. If I ease into it, it's not as severe. Watching my wideband, the car goes lean, not rich, while it does this from 11s to 12s. It occurs mid-rpm range only, from 3,300 to 4,200. I suspect my 186k mile OE fuel pump is the culprit and isn't able to keep up with the F/I of the car. Anyone running higher boost with stock fuel pump, or have experienced similar and had to upgrade?

Last edited:
Under WOT at 16psi, spiking to 19psi, the car will cut out for a split second (WOT---------3.2k./../.....././././.4.2k.........6.5k) The slashes indicate the occurrence if that makes sense. The higher RPM I am the more it does it, closer together, but after boost settles to 16psi, it subsides. If I ease into it, it's not as severe. Watching my wideband, the car goes lean, not rich, while it does this from 11s to 12s. It occurs mid-rpm range only, from 3,300 to 4,200. I suspect my 186k mile OE fuel pump is the culprit and isn't able to keep up with the F/I of the car. Anyone running higher boost with stock fuel pump, or have experienced similar and had to upgrade?

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege #1660:
Wiseco 9:1 pistons, K1 rods, ARP head studs, AWR race pan, 10an oil return, AWR 88 duro Front/Rear mounts, Eibach pro springs/Tokico Illuminas, CXRacing FMIC w/ 2.5" hard pipes, Relocated MAF, Auto Meter Sport-Comp Wideband, Intellitronix Digital Boost/Vacuum Gauge, Intellitronix Digital Oil Pressure Gauge, single DIN triple gauge panel, 03.5 MSP Spoiler, Exedy Stage 1 Clutch, SSAFC V2 w/ Custom Tune, 440cc injectors, Mishimoto aluminum radiator, Dual 10" slim fans, NXS manual boost controller (15psi), 2" manifold studs, Pope 3" downpipe, Thunder V2 eBay knock-off manifold, 3" catless, single-resonated exhaust, Fog lights on w/ running light mod, 6000K HIDs, Mazdaspeed Miata Nardi steering wheel.

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege #1660:
Wiseco 9:1 pistons, K1 rods, ARP head studs, AWR race pan, 10an oil return, AWR 88 duro Front/Rear mounts, Eibach pro springs/Tokico Illuminas, CXRacing FMIC w/ 2.5" hard pipes, Relocated MAF, Auto Meter Sport-Comp Wideband, Intellitronix Digital Boost/Vacuum Gauge, Intellitronix Digital Oil Pressure Gauge, single DIN triple gauge panel, 03.5 MSP Spoiler, Exedy Stage 1 Clutch, SSAFC V2 w/ Custom Tune, 440cc injectors, Mishimoto aluminum radiator, Dual 10" slim fans, NXS manual boost controller (15psi), 2" manifold studs, Pope 3" downpipe, Thunder V2 eBay knock-off manifold, 3" catless, single-resonated exhaust, Fog lights on w/ running light mod, 6000K HIDs, Mazdaspeed Miata Nardi steering wheel.

Considering this started long after this tune was made, I doubt that is the issue.

This might sound like a stupid question but I have valid reasons to ask.... will your car cutout if the fuel tank is full or it only does this when your low on fuel? My type s would do the same when I turbo charged it and it only did it when the tank was low in fuel (1/4 tank or less) turns out the g forces from accelerating would push the fuel away from the pickup on the fuel pump creating the hessitation. Is there anyway for you to verify your duty cycle? If you are at more than 90% duty I suggest going with bigger injectors or better yet a higher flow fuel pump.

This might sound like a stupid question but I have valid reasons to ask.... will your car cutout if the fuel tank is full or it only does this when your low on fuel? My type s would do the same when I turbo charged it and it only did it when the tank was low in fuel (1/4 tank or less) turns out the g forces from accelerating would push the fuel away from the pickup on the fuel pump creating the hessitation. Is there anyway for you to verify your duty cycle? If you are at more than 90% duty I suggest going with bigger injectors or better yet a higher flow fuel pump.
No, that's not a stupid question and have considered it myself. I don't drive the car often, but don't usually keep more than a half a tank of fuel in it most times. I just can't remember if it's occurred more with lower fuel levels or not. Because there is an inconsistency to it to an extent. I should pay more attention to other factors like that as well as relative humidity and ambient temperatures. Sometimes it's not AS bad, while others it will do it violently, misfiring 8-10 time throughout that RPM range, whereas others it may do it 2 or 3 times. I have 440cc WRX injectors, but I do suspect the fuel pump to be the problem.

I always thought that if youre running more than 15psi, injectors and fuel pump are akways rec to be upgraded?
That's exactly why I'm suspecting the fuel pump. I've got the injectors covered, because the OEs definitely couldn't keep up.

Okay, well, I literally JUST ordered a Walbro GSS342. I know I need it either way, so we'll see if this helps correct my issue.

I have the same issue but I have an upgraded fuel pump.....my car is down right now( blew the gear box) so I have not solved it yet

Have you tried resetting the msp ecu? disconnecting the battery. I thought even with the ssafc it had the potential to learn around it over a period time.

Back