What have you done to your MSP today?

Either you guys don't know how to calculate mpgs or you drive like grannys/drafting behind a semi. No way you are getting over 30mpg on it.

Ive said that same thing before. When i got my "record" 30mpg, i was doing 55mph in 5th gear for 300 miles in a bone stock car and no exhaust.

I have the moyor all ready to be taken out of MSP#2 and I f'ing break the breaker bar. Seriously! Guess I'll have to wait until next weekend.

Either you guys don't know how to calculate mpgs or you drive like grannys/drafting behind a semi. No way you are getting over 30mpg on it.

ive gotten 400+ to a full tank multiple times, actually about 420-430 or so. That was 90% freeway driving tho and cruising. I think if i tried hard enough 30+ is possible but not fun lol

Alright I got a problem, not on my msp but on my other protg. I took out the IM to replace the torn rear engine mount and put everything back.. only thing I replaced on the manifold is the gaskets, everything was working fine before and I cant see any issues with vacuum lines or anything not plugged in. I also don't have any CEL but whenever I start it theres a loud screeching sound coming from the manifold area.

video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b928MPOJpnc

Im quite baffled by this. Anyone have any idea before I take it out again?

definitely a gasket leak, this is why I don't recommend pulling the IM to do the rear motor mount. Those gaskets are such a PITA

Yeah it was the TB gasket. Brand new gasket was leaking.. I put some rtv on there and it stopped right away. I had no intention to remove the IM but it was such a pita to get the rear mount it still end up being way easier. I took protg manifolds off so often it really doesn't take long.

Fixed my idle issue by cleaning the EGR, but now I have a misfire at high rpm (above 4k). Could this be a bad coil or wire? I put new NGK plugs in gapped at .28 which didn't seem to help.

Mods are CustomMSP SMIC, Corksport Intercooler Hoses, Forge BOV and WGA, SRI, 2.5" J-Pipe/Mid-Pipe, and Flashed ECU.

Pulled the engine and disassembled in about 3 hours... had everything here, but there are heat marks on #4 rod, too, so Im ordering another K1... always something...
CAM00151_zps20732cd0.jpg

3 hrs? That's not bad at all! I'll, unfortunately, have to be in the same boat soon. How did the crankshaft fair?

3 hrs? That's not bad at all! I'll, unfortunately, have to be in the same boat soon. How did the crankshaft fair?
You've got to realize that I've pulled an FS out of the BJ platform about 15 times between two of my cars and a friends car, plus I have a shop to use 24/7 with all the required equipment and tools. Plus a friend was helping. At this point I don't even have to look at what I'm doing... I just grab all the tools I need and go at it. And the crankshaft is scarred. Going to put another one in instead of machining.

You've got to realize that I've pulled an FS out of the BJ platform about 15 times between two of my cars and a friends car, plus I have a shop to use 24/7 with all the required equipment and tools. Plus a friend was helping. At this point I don't even have to look at what I'm doing... I just grab all the tools I need and go at it. And the crankshaft is scarred. Going to put another one in instead of machining.

This is why I don't understand why you keep blowing them up :(

This is why I don't understand why you keep blowing them up :(

I'm hard on cars. And ,unfortunately, the FS isn't that great of an engine to take the Preferio abuse. I would be okay if oil starvation wasn't an issue. I'd say after putting it back together this time it'll be gone in the spring either as it sits or with a stock bottom end.

Last edited:
I'm hard on cars. And ,unfortunately, the FS isn't that great of an engine to take the Preferio abuse. I would be okay if oil starvation wasn't an issue. I'd say after putting it back together this time it'll be gone in the spring either as it sits or with a stock bottom end.

put a KL in it and turbo. then be hard on it. Challenge set :)

All of your motors had the stock oil pump/pickup setup? No doc B?

You certainly defy logic, my friend.

All of your motors had the stock oil pump/pickup setup? No doc B?

You certainly defy logic, my friend.

Yep, stock oiling system. Only difference now is an AWR. I know that will not solve the issue, but I do believe itll help. Ive spent close to $3k in the past 5 to 6 weeks and after seeing the heat marks on the other rod, Im finally at the "**** this car" stage. A little more than half of that was on the RX8, but Im just.kind of.over it. Need a new platform I suppose. Ive been driving and modifying the BJ platform for 6 years. I love the car, I do, but just browsing for parts thst are becoming even more expensive and seeing the same part for another car for 1/2 the price and twice the gains is getting to me. Ive considered selling the MSP and 8 and getting an MS3 or MS6. The MS6 is attractive due to its AWD, but more drivetrain parts to fail. Mayne jsut keep the 8 as.my daily and get an NB or NA to boost and have fun in. RWD is definitely more fun. Im not sure. At this point I have no clue what I might do.

Back