What have you done to your MS3 today?

Blame the Mazda fairies and move on :) These are the same fairies that throw rods through your block.

Today I ordered a battery relocation kit from Summit. I just don't like the fit of the TIP with the 2817 and mani. Everything sits lower and to the right, so the intake is mashed against the ecu/battery box. I will fab up a new bracket for the ecu. Not sure on placement yet.

... Why is there a big hole in the plastic splash guard right next to the oil filter? It almost looks like it is supposed to give access to the oil filter, but it is about 5 inches off from being lined up for that. Not sure what the purpose is. Just curious. Obviously I took the whole guard off to do the oil change. Not a big deal.
There has been a lot of questions and speculations about that hole.
The simple truth is that its there from the factory as a final inspection point.
As for your oil change: Why not consider converting to the 2.0 spin-on filter? It requires about $40 worth of parts, takes ten, maybe fifteen minutes to install (3 bolts and a gasket, plus splash pan removal) and no more cartridge filter to deal with.

Be careful. There are reports of people cracking the plastic housing by over tightening it. It is highly recommended to buy the proper tool when you have a chance so you are not stressing the plastic removing the filter housing.

I believe the hole is in the correct position for the regular Mazda3 however, I may be wrong.
No, I had to make another hole right next to it to access the filter.
But smoke_31 is correct about the plastic housing. I've known a few people to have issues with it cracking. Mine got tighter and harder to take off/put on after a few changes, so I finally converted to the spin-on.

...Why not consider converting to the 2.0 spin-on filter? It requires about $40 worth of parts, takes ten, maybe fifteen minutes to install (3 bolts and a gasket, plus splash pan removal) and no more cartridge filter to deal with....

I was going to do this, but my engine blew up before I got around to it. I asked Mazda if they would have warrantied my engine had I had the spin on conversion installed and they said no.

I asked them to email their engineering group to ask why they went with the element filter over the spin on filter but I never received a response....

Today I ordered a battery relocation kit from Summit. I just don't like the fit of the TIP with the 2817 and mani. Everything sits lower and to the right, so the intake is mashed against the ecu/battery box. I will fab up a new bracket for the ecu. Not sure on placement yet.

where will the new battery location be?

The V12's do have sidewall flex but they don't give up. I take curves very hard and have yet to break them loose. The soft sides make for a more comfy ride too. I'm going to EECMM next week and will see how they do on The Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway, can't wait.

I run 38 psi all around.

I noticed they don't give up. I'm able to go around some of my favorite on and off ramps at a greater speed. The sidewall is definitely more forgiving on the road, especially on uneven pavement on some of the streets in DC that would make my stockers slip like crazy if I was accelerating at all.

Do let us know how they perform on those roads!

Got pulled over in the speed about 10 mins ago on my way home from work. Going around 85 on the tollway. Constable was cool and let me off with a warning......:)

There has been a lot of questions and speculations about that hole.
The simple truth is that its there from the factory as a final inspection point.
As for your oil change: Why not consider converting to the 2.0 spin-on filter? It requires about $40 worth of parts, takes ten, maybe fifteen minutes to install (3 bolts and a gasket, plus splash pan removal) and no more cartridge filter to deal with.

I may do that eventually. Although, I don't really mind this set up too much. I just need to get a proper size wrench for the filter cover, and things should go pretty smooth. Not all that much more difficult than a regular filter. I like that it is so easily accessed. I'm used to vehicles where you have to reach way the heck up into the engine to get the filter off, it's sideways, and then the oil drips all over everything. Right at the bottom and pointing straight down is actually pretty nice.

changed the oil, took 6 qts of Rotella T 5w-40. oil blacker than midnight in a coal mine after only 3200 miles. found a kink in the oil catch can hose, ordered thicker, oil-resistant hydraulic hose.

finally got to the mechanic. he ordered from auto zone, 1/2 inch reinforced hydraulic hose, apparently they sell it by the foot, easy to get. the previous hose was not the clear, thin soft plastic one that came w/ the oil catch can. the mechanic originally used some pretty hefty hose he had laying around, but it kinked up and blocked the can.

supposedly [or it may just be where it's installed, on the R side of the bay, all the way down next to the spalsh shield] a kink will develop unless you use some really thick hydraulic hose. best way to check is drain the can. if nothing comes out, there's a blockage somewhere.

found, of all things, 2 baby footprints on the outside of my rear window. literally, a couple of human baby footprints on the outer points where the wipers can't reach

i don't know if this is a new way to get the "wagon mafia" sticker or what but, seriously, why for ****'s sake would anyone lift their baby and put their prints on the back window of my, or anyone else's, car?

i guess this may not be as funny without pics but i'll try to get some if i get any requests

found, of all things, 2 baby footprints on the outside of my rear window. literally, a couple of human baby footprints on the outer points where the wipers can't reach

i don't know if this is a new way to get the "wagon mafia" sticker or what but, seriously, why for ****'s sake would anyone lift their baby and put their prints on the back window of my, or anyone else's, car?

i guess this may not be as funny without pics but i'll try to get some if i get any requests

i know i dont like people touching my things either.....crazy

One time I was sitting on a bench in front of the local ice cream joint and watched a curious toddler approaching my motorcycle. Seeing that he was about to touch a hot exhaust pipe, I yelled at the kid to stop and said don't touch.
Next thing you know the kid's dad gets in my face for yelling at his kid. "He's just curious and likes your bike. He wasn't going to hurt anything, asshole."
Guess I should have been an asshole and let the kid burn himself. (2thumbs)

One time I was sitting on a bench in front of the local ice cream joint and watched a curious toddler approaching my motorcycle. Seeing that he was about to touch a hot exhaust pipe, I yelled at the kid to stop and said don't touch.
Next thing you know the kid's dad gets in my face for yelling at his kid. "He's just curious and likes your bike. He wasn't going to hurt anything, asshole."
Guess I should have been an asshole and let the kid burn himself. (2thumbs)

Meh, I would have told him exactly why I yelled at the kid. Father would (should?) have felt like an ass.

Meh, I would have told him exactly why I yelled at the kid. Father would (should?) have felt like an ass.
Nah, he was in "I'm a proud, protective father, a responsible adult who has proven that his penis works, and you're just an irresponsible kid on a crotch rocket" mode and wasn't going to hear anything I had to say.

Back