What have you done to your Miata today?

how does the heat "burn" off the polish? You're essential sanding down to a smooth finish then applying a compound to bring out the lustre. I've seen people p/c it with success, also.

Nutari,

The "frame rails" you pictured aren't actually frame rails. They basically a sheet metal floor pan support that typically get bent/crushed with a floor jack by someone who doesn't know any better. They have nothing really to do with the structural integrity of the overall chassis.

I've seen some that have been completely flattened. Both of my Miata's have rails that have seen some sort of compression.

Nutari,

The "frame rails" you pictured aren't actually frame rails. They basically a sheet metal floor pan support that typically get bent/crushed with a floor jack by someone who doesn't know any better. They have nothing really to do with the structural integrity of the overall chassis.

I've seen some that have been completely flattened. Both of my Miata's have rails that have seen some sort of compression.

So what is the point of the FM Frame rails?
get on aim. :)

I have read many accounts that the FM rails and butterfly brace do make the car feel much better. But yeah those rails dont look as bad as you made them sound.

Aricjm15; said:
I have read many accounts that the FM rails and butterfly brace do make the car feel much better. But yeah those rails dont look as bad as you made them sound.

I have a butterfly brace "based" off of the FM-style brace...I def feel a difference.

The pictures dont make them look as bad as they really are. :( It was nighttime and I couldnt get a good angle. I'll try again right now.

1st real autox of the season today. In the dry. Highs in the high 70s. And son of a b**** do we have the miata is hooked up! Video will come at some point... it was a blast

mazdaspeed comp LSD went into the specmiata today (got it for a great deal from another local SM racer who was upgrading to a 1.8L torsen unit)

also found a pinhole leak in one of the connectors for the small coolant lines attached to the thermostat housing... hopefully will be able to fix it with a little soldering this week so we can shakedown the car w/the new LSD at this coming weekend's autocross before next months track event at SMMR

watched "Watchmen" and came back to a pool of water in my driver side foot well. so much for fixing the leaks.

I went out this morning and did a little flying. Brushed up on landings.

This afternoon, I washed the RX-8 and Roush. I didn't want a nice day to go to waste.

I tried to take better pictures of the smushed rails.

DSC03713.jpg

DSC03715.jpg

DSC03714.jpg

I know that rust looks bad; but, about any car that age is going to have a little rust, here and there. The key is to stop it in its tracks. Thankfully, the fella who did the engine swap on my car also did just that. He cleaned things up and painted the underside of the car.

As for the rails, I've seen pros and cons on their impact to the car's stability in this site's discussions. I would have to think that anything like this has to be a plus toward the body's integrity. There isn't a whole lot else that gives support against its bowing in the middle. Fixing the rails with something more stiff, like some angle stock welded in place, or the FM rails, etc may be a good idea, once the car is cleaned and painted. Obviously, the engineers at Mazda saw the need for them.

There's almost no rust on that car...just a bit on the rear carrier. The obvious brown material is merely dirt stuck to the undercoating.

Nutari, again, the "frame rails" are merely floor pan supports. They are not the frame and not as structural as you might think. I've seen Miatas with those supports nearly crushed flat. They're not strong enough to be used as a jack point.

All in all, everything is fine looking at the bottom.

Last edited:
My buddy Barry (Jackelope on the forum) is whipping up 1 of these for under my hood (rlaugh)

explode2.jpg

Back