What have you done to your Miata today?

Autocrossed her today. Have a lot of things to post, and some videos once I remember my YouTube login (shocking I know) and I recover from being in the sun all day. It was a blast, here are a couple of pictures to tide folks over.

44143186011_dd406be9e9_b.jpg

42334551060_b360d3d135_b.jpg

Cool! Where did you race?

Cool! Where did you race?

Place called Trader's World in Lebanon OH about 20 miles north of Cincinnati.

Woke up this morning feeling like someone beat me with a baseball bat. Not going to get into everything just yet, I did manage to get onto my YouTube channel so here are the promised videos:

https://youtu.be/OL8SVuWYTAw

https://youtu.be/_ioiwwsSbf0

Course was bumpier than I expected. There were a lot of minimal height changes which weren't bad, but they were exacerbated by pavement cracks so you might be set for a corner and then get bumped by one of those. First run was a 56.925. The next two saw me improve about 0.4 seconds over the previous time. Run 4 saw me improve by 1.2 seconds over the previous, and run 5 saw me improve 1.6 seconds over the previous (final run was a 53.397). Most of my time was made up in the slalom on the back side of the course where I kept my foot in it longer.

Haven't done too much since Sunday. I did reconnect the rear sway, while there I noticed the muffler has been moving around enough to contact the diffuser so I'll have to clearance it a bit more. I have also been having issues with the left front wheel contacting the fender liner under short/sharp deflections. A quick finger comparison with the right side shows I have less clearance there so when I put her in the air to swap the front sways I'll get that fixed. I have also swapped the driver's seats around so I'm back to the NB2 stocker.

Thoughts on the autocross. The bumpiness I mentioned made it difficult for me to get up to speed initially. My two years' layoff showed in my first run where I was off-line in a few places and got caught out. They had two traps set up so the course was divided and you can see where you were making/losing time. My first section times were pretty consistent and looking back I don't see where I could have made up any time there. Second section is where I made up the time, mostly in the slalom section where I kept my foot in it longer. Don't know if I could have really done a lot better than my final run without other changes to the car.

Brown Santa made me a happy man today. Managed to score a rare part, purely by chance when I was doing a search and came across someone on this very forum who had spoken about having one and wanting to sell it. I got in touch, he still had it and the deal was done. Now I just have to get the screws needed to install it and then test it out.

30356666718_a7841d46b7_h.jpg

Last edited:
Place called Trader's World in Lebanon OH about 20 miles north of Cincinnati.

Woke up this morning feeling like someone beat me with a baseball bat. Not going to get into everything just yet, I did manage to get onto my YouTube channel so here are the promised videos:

https://youtu.be/OL8SVuWYTAw

https://youtu.be/_ioiwwsSbf0

Course was bumpier than I expected. There were a lot of minimal height changes which weren't bad, but they were exacerbated by pavement cracks so you might be set for a corner and then get bumped by one of those. First run was a 56.925. The next two saw me improve about 0.4 seconds over the previous time. Run 4 saw me improve by 1.2 seconds over the previous, and run 5 saw me improve 1.6 seconds over the previous (final run was a 53.397). Most of my time was made up in the slalom on the back side of the course where I kept my foot in it longer.

Nice chief! Sure was bumpy!

Very cool Chief, glad to see it out stretching its legs finally. I love that supercharger whine! :D

it was rhetorical, lol.......came across this pic in truck forum where people were asking what they'd be driving if it wasn't a Tacoma. Couldn't resist posting here............that'd be me hoarding out on the trap timer ..........got a flying Miata voltage clamp, Innovate afr gauge and wb02 laying around NIB too that aren't going to make it into the P5 either.

Buffed the wax off this morning. Still have some more to do today but nearly ready for MATG.

43044345994_789e73cea4_b.jpg

43044344304_90f76087a6_b.jpg
This is thing of beauty... love the body style, stance, color combo, all of it. Couldn't be happier if this is trap timer's new home...............

Nice chief! Sure was bumpy!

Thanks. It sure was!

Very cool Chief, glad to see it out stretching its legs finally. I love that supercharger whine! :D

Thanks. Yeah, I'm glad I finally got her back on a course. That whine is addicting, I just have to put my foot in it any time I drive her.

This is thing of beauty... love the body style, stance, color combo, all of it. Couldn't be happier if this is trap timer's new home...............

Thanks. Yes it is, see below.

Had some free time to myself this afternoon so jumped into things. I opened the sealed bag my trap timer was in and found that someone had it out in the open previously. This was a good thing though as the mounting bracket had been modified so it would fit a Momo wheel:

43528600664_a5609f2442_b.jpg

I ran to Ace to get some appropriate fasteners then proceeded to get it installed. First, the mount:

42438462030_336db74d17_b.jpg

You put four screws in to hold the wheel first, then the last two (seen) are what hold the mount in place. After that the trap timer goes on bottom first on that lip you can see sticking out. There is a small Allen screw that goes into the hole at the top, and that is all there is to it.

42438460940_40bfe217db_b.jpg

I need to break out my teeny-tiny jeweler's screwdrivers in order to install the battery, and then I can try to figure out how to operate it. One thing to note, with the timer in place the horn button is very recessed so it can't be operated as you normally would.

Once that was done I pulled the front undertray and swapped back to my MSM front sway. The big JR sway I used for autocross showed signs of side-to-side movement with one of the bushings getting split. I won't be putting that back in. I took measurements of both front shocks, both the overall length and the preload on the springs. Both measurements were the same, so something else is going on there. I will get some good measurements with her on the ground and then adjust the length of the driver's side to match the passenger side.

Finally although I didn't address it today, here is the rubbing the exhaust is doing on the rear diffuser:

43528598134_1a9e4225af_b.jpg

Not horrible, but I will clearance it some more.

Thanks. It sure was!

Thanks. Yeah, I'm glad I finally got her back on a course. That whine is addicting, I just have to put my foot in it any time I drive her.

Thanks. Yes it is, see below.

Had some free time to myself this afternoon so jumped into things. I opened the sealed bag my trap timer was in and found that someone had it out in the open previously. This was a good thing though as the mounting bracket had been modified so it would fit a Momo wheel:

43528600664_a5609f2442_b.jpg

I ran to Ace to get some appropriate fasteners then proceeded to get it installed. First, the mount:

42438462030_336db74d17_b.jpg

You put four screws in to hold the wheel first, then the last two (seen) are what hold the mount in place. After that the trap timer goes on bottom first on that lip you can see sticking out. There is a small Allen screw that goes into the hole at the top, and that is all there is to it.

42438460940_40bfe217db_b.jpg

I need to break out my teeny-tiny jeweler's screwdrivers in order to install the battery, and then I can try to figure out how to operate it. One thing to note, with the timer in place the horn button is very recessed so it can't be operated as you normally would.
That's very cool. I never had it out of the bag so I'm wondering if there is some tie to those stickers inside the package. Just glad it was modded to match what you have. With the stickers and paper in the pack I never have seen the mount.

That's very cool. I never had it out of the bag so I'm wondering if there is some tie to those stickers inside the package. Just glad it was modded to match what you have. With the stickers and paper in the pack I never have seen the mount.

I suspect I know who the previous owner may have been (based on the stickers). The mounting bracket was attached to the back of the timer which is why you didn't see it.

This morning I installed the battery in the timer. Remember I said there were teeny-tiny screws? See at the right side of the rectangular cover for those.

30397526388_39e4837025_h.jpg

Turns out it uses two LR44 batteries, the other one was already in place. Popped the second one in and she booted up to this screen:

30397527698_1359339f2f_h.jpg

Those with keen eyesight will notice it is set for January 01, 1996. I left it like that while I ran some errands. This afternoon I sat down to see if I could figure out how to get it set. As it turned out, it wasn't that difficult. First of all, there are four modes: Stopwatch, Alarm, Time and Countdown. The "Mode" button scrolls between those screens. I put it in Time mode and then pushed buttons to see what happened. Once in the Mode desired, pushing the Recall button starts numbers flashing. In this case the seconds were flashing first. If you push Reset the seconds go to zero. Pushing Lap changes to the next value for setting, in this case minutes. Using Reset will change that number. Continuing in this manner for the hour, date, month, year and day everything was changed to reflect current time. Honestly the only thing that was different from what I expected was the reversing of the Reset and Lap buttons to make changes (from what I normally see with other electronics). Now I have the date and time right in front of me. The stopwatch and countdown timer works as you would expect them to. Start the counting by pushing Lap. Pushing Lap again will give you a stop reading while the main timer keeps counting. Pushing Reset once will stop the timer, pushing it again resets the numbers. Not too sure about the need for an alarm though as I am not planning on sleeping in her any time soon.

This morning I installed the battery in the timer. Remember I said there were teeny-tiny screws? See at the right side of the rectangular cover for those.

30397526388_39e4837025_h.jpg

Turns out it uses two LR44 batteries, the other one was already in place. Popped the second one in and she booted up to this screen:

30397527698_1359339f2f_h.jpg

Those with keen eyesight will notice it is set for January 01, 1996. I left it like that while I ran some errands. This afternoon I sat down to see if I could figure out how to get it set. As it turned out, it wasn't that difficult. First of all, there are four modes: Stopwatch, Alarm, Time and Countdown. The "Mode" button scrolls between those screens. I put it in Time mode and then pushed buttons to see what happened. Once in the Mode desired, pushing the Recall button starts numbers flashing. In this case the seconds were flashing first. If you push Reset the seconds go to zero. Pushing Lap changes to the next value for setting, in this case minutes. Using Reset will change that number. Continuing in this manner for the hour, date, month, year and day everything was changed to reflect current time. Honestly the only thing that was different from what I expected was the reversing of the Reset and Lap buttons to make changes (from what I normally see with other electronics). Now I have the date and time right in front of me. The stopwatch and countdown timer works as you would expect them to. Start the counting by pushing Lap. Pushing Lap again will give you a stop reading while the main timer keeps counting. Pushing Reset once will stop the timer, pushing it again resets the numbers. Not too sure about the need for an alarm though as I am not planning on sleeping in her any time soon.

Too cool!

I'd say that right there qualifies you for Father of the Year. How excited were they?

They've known it's been coming for a few months now (the build started right in karting's busy season, so it took time), but they didn't know it was going to be here when they got home that day.

They were VERY excited :D

They've known it's been coming for a few months now (the build started right in karting's busy season, so it took time), but they didn't know it was going to be here when they got home that day.

They were VERY excited :D

Sooooo cool!

The KMiata swap uses an NB pattern steering-rack mount, so I picked up an NB rack and started the depowering process. And since I'm depowering it, I might as well do what I did with the NA rack and make a couple of steering rack stops to keep the 15x10s & tires off of the swaybar in paddock / big spins. After having them in for most of a year, I've not missed the extra travel at all, and more than once have been very, very happy to have them to prevent damage.

I pulled apart an NB rack to get some measurements:

And turned up a bunch of 3/8" delrin spacers. 1 for each side of the rack:

While I was there playing with the lathe, I went ahead and made a go / no-go gauge out of an extra chunk of Delrin I had kicking around.

Latest posts

Back