What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Installed the 'Speed3 seat on the driver's side:

i-526ZCw6-X2.jpg
Was it a direct bolt on?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Very nice! Did you end up using the stock rails from your 5 or did the Speed3 rails bolt right up?

Was it a direct bolt on?

Well, I read that loosenut used the 5 base/sliders/rails and metal seat pan with the Speed3 bottom cushion, back frame, and upholstery to make it work in his 5. He speculated that he'd need to use the 5 base because it was taller and the 5 has a higher dash, hood, etc. and because it has a heat duct under the seats. He didn't actually try to fit the 3 base in the 5, but I did. It turns out that the 3 base wouldn't work in the 5 anyway, because the 5 base has 4 bolts that go down into the floor but the 3 has 3 that go down into the floor and one that goes horizontally into the transmission tunnel. It's a bit of a weird hybridization, but it works out quite well. You also have to swap the metal seat pans because the holes where they bolt to the frames don't line up the same. However, the 3 seat backs do bolt up to the 5 bases and the 3 seat fabric works with the 5 seat pan just fine.

First oil change since purchase a few months ago. (2thumbs)

Out: supposedly 0w-20 oil and Carquest red filter
In: Mobil1 Extended Performance full synthetic 0w-20 and Wix filter

Put in those terro liquid ant traps. Huge infestation of GA ants. How we missed them in the pre purchase inspection is beyond me...

I picked up my "Legacy" plates from AAA this Saturday and installed them. I love these plates, I'm so glad that DMV made them available for a limited time.

W0KhejT.jpg

Finally watched a YouTube video on replacing the cabin air filter and decided to actually do the job instead of thinking about it. LOL If I disassemble the thing and DO NOT find a filter in place can I simply slide the correct filters in there? I guess, my question is, did the 06 even have a cabin filter?

Finally watched a YouTube video on replacing the cabin air filter and decided to actually do the job instead of thinking about it. LOL If I disassemble the thing and DO NOT find a filter in place can I simply slide the correct filters in there? I guess, my question is, did the 06 even have a cabin filter?

All Mazda5s have a cabin filter including 2006 MY. I replaced them a couple times on my old 2006.

Ya, just fill in the spot.

Cool, i figured as much. I can't believe what a last minute hack job they did engineering the damned filters.
The filter change on my wifes CRV is a 5 minute no tool job!

Cool, i figured as much. I can't believe what a last minute hack job they did engineering the damned filters.
The filter change on my wifes CRV is a 5 minute no tool job!

Child's play compared to an E36 BMW, have to dissemble half the dash to get to the filter. First time I did it took almost 4 hours! How's that for German engineering?

How about 2st gen Honda Odyssey?
You need to hack saw a piece of dashboard support off before getting to one :)

Received my leather steering wheel today. A sweet upgrade to the sport trim mazda 5. Just something about a leather wheel makes it feel a lot better driving, but, my wife thinks I am nuts for thinking that way. Annoying taking the wheel apart to get the pieces on the new wheel. Took a while, but, did not break anything, so successful.

Did you get the Speed3 wheel or Mz5 GT wheel? Courious about the "pieces" that you swapped. BTW, what are you doing with the old wheel? A nice wheel, knob, pedals, and seat are important for a MT driver - maybe that's just me.

I recall watching one of those nightly news segments where "studies" show the steering wheel is one of the dirtest places. Lots of dirty hands touch it but how many people bother to even wipe it. Made me go huh... germs are a good thing! :p

I got the stock wheel in leather from mazda, $240 shipped. I have the old one, I was just going to toss it in the trash? There was a plastic piece on both the front and back, and both sides had button assemblies, all carefully removed, some screws holding some pieces, others snapped in place or a combination of the two. Just was not used to that level of part swapping on a wheel. (german is different)

Did you get the Speed3 wheel or Mz5 GT wheel? Courious about the "pieces" that you swapped. BTW, what are you doing with the old wheel? A nice wheel, knob, pedals, and seat are important for a MT driver - maybe that's just me.

I recall watching one of those nightly news segments where "studies" show the steering wheel is one of the dirtest places. Lots of dirty hands touch it but how many people bother to even wipe it. Made me go huh... germs are a good thing! :p

I got the stock wheel in leather from mazda, $240 shipped. I have the old one, I was just going to toss it in the trash? There was a plastic piece on both the front and back, and both sides had button assemblies, all carefully removed, some screws holding some pieces, others snapped in place or a combination of the two. Just was not used to that level of part swapping on a wheel. (german is different)
Was it a Speed3 or Mz5GT wheel? Sounds like it was just the skeleton? I would have gone with a used Speed3 wheel for the additonal buttons and red stitching. Mazda wheels buttons are resistance based so if you use an aftermarket HU with learn capable functins, you *should be able to make use of the additional buttons. I bet the clock spring and ECU/BCM/Can bus are the same.

Don't toss the old wheel. I would gladly take it off you hands. Sent you PM.

Back