What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Finally got my H&R sport springs installed today. I also moved the corksport mazda3 rear sway to the stiffer option. The combination of the two made a huge difference. Totally fun to drive now.

20140119_095433_zpsv7yoxn6q.jpg

Last edited:
Finally took care of my defective heat shielding in the exhaust tunnel. Pics nearly say it all. I still wonder how many Mazda5s have caught fire due to this hazard

From this:
48Morql.jpg

P2fyQQN.jpg

To this:
J8qVbZ4.jpg

vBN1QOy.jpg

And this:
H5GvC6T.jpg

NZaW9kr.jpg

I've got a 2008 Mazda5 for which this heat shield replacement would be a great idea as the OEM foil piece is not looking so good. What product did you use to wrap your exhaust and where did you get it? Thanks.

Looks like header/exhaust wrap. I see a DEi package in the second to the last picture. Should be available at most auto parts stores. Dave J

I've never used exhaust wrap (very tempted) but my friends have use it to wrap headers. For folks who endure winters, it collects salt deposits and accelerates wear/tear. Not a prob if you live in AZ.

Bathed my car in salt today, and the day before and the day before that etc. it exfoliates the paint and gives the metal a nice orange hue. That's what we do here in upstate NY.

BTW, the exhaust wrap stinks a bit right now. Only put perhaps 10 mi total on the wrapped exhaust so far. I did some reading up on wrapping and concluded I would avoid wrapping what looks like a 2nd cat due to potential overheating of the catalyst chemicals. I SHOULD have started downstream, by the resonator, and worked my way upstream, skipping the flexpipe as well, but wrapping all around the lower O2 sensor, ending below the 1st cat. I will also be reporting how the wrap handles our summer monsoons, since we are 2 houses in from a dipped roadway that turns into a small river after big rainstorms and when the flow is low, is fordable. I expect more stink, but also expect that the heat should dry it out pretty quickly. We'll see. I REALLY don't want to install a DIY heatshield, since it will most likely involve dropping the exhaust.

Tues Jan 14: What happened to your Mazda5 today?
Answer: Got backed into by some dumb@ss at the gas station. Low speed, and looks like he only got the door skin fortunately. Want to know the really good part of the story, though? The reason I was at the gas station in the first place was to inspect my wife's 4runner after dumb@ss #2 rear ended her at a red light. Both cars hit in under 30 minutes.

im-not-even-ktbbwx.jpg

What did I do to my Mazda5 recently?

Installed 12v power outlets for rear seats and Sirius unit

Ordered ECU tune. Hope to do some baseline testing in the next couple days (before flashing the tune), then install tune and do more testing to see if difference can be captured in data, not just butt dyno.

What did the tune set you back? If it's not ridiculous, I'm really considering.

Edit - I found your other post. Never mind. :)

Last edited:
What did the tune set you back? If it's not ridiculous, I'm really considering.

Edit - I found your other post. Never mind. :)

Well I'll reply anyway; a link for the lazy.

$450, plus I bought the cable to keep (you can rent it for cheap to flash the tune, and then return it if you prefer). Since I intend to do a good amount of monitoring, data logging, and possibly even some tweaking on the ECU using the laptop, it made sense to just buy the cable.

I was considering buying MazdaEdit software for $250 to accomplish all of that, but I then learned that Joe uses a version of mazdaEdit and buying a tune basically gets you a license too. Since I was going to get the tune anyway for the FI thing, it was kind of like "why not" to just get it now.

I'm going to be doing some testing before and after, hopefully I can give some objective feedback on gains (if any) that I see from it.

How has the fuel mileage been with that? I just got my worst tank ever using remote start and short trips, 12.75 mpg!! I'm convinced that my environment is just not conducive to good mileage in this car. Its too underpowered to respond well to stop and go driving.

Shaved 1/32nd off the front tires today. Super cold weather + boost = fun. F$!k yeah!!!!

How has the fuel mileage been with that?

My Fuelly record since I installed the kit.

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/cahiatt/5?fu=5825569

My worst was about 14-15 during tuning and was running filthy rich. I think my mileage has actually gotten better than stock. The van doesn't downshift as much during cruising or driving up hills which keeps the revs down (and mileage up). I've started to see 30's and better on interstate road trips.

Damn, thats really good. I wish I knew if the turbo would hurt me more or improve things. If it stays roughly the same then its well worth it for the extra power. Now that I have my 400 whp Mitsu back on the road, Im hating how slow this thing is :(

My worst was about 14-15 during tuning and was running filthy rich. I think my mileage has actually gotten better than stock. The van doesn't downshift as much during cruising or driving up hills which keeps the revs down (and mileage up). I've started to see 30's and better on interstate road trips.
do you expect the mileage to go up even more after Dynotronics tune is finally done?

Within the past week I removed all seats and seat fabric, then installed leather over the factory foam along with heat pads (5 temp settings) for the 1st and 2nd row, still need to finish up the wiring for it.

Installed new radiator

Today started install of PKE alarm with push button start, almost done just need to tie in the door trigger and stick on the RFID antennas. (Thanks to Vasy's Mazda remote start manual) already tested the push button start and she works like its factory made.

Back