What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Installed New Rear End Links

On Sunday, I installed a pair of Moog end links (part# K80867) for my JBL rear sway bar. I first installed the sway bar back in June with stock end links and by the fall I was hearing some clunking from the rear and the ride was suffering. These new, greaseable end links have cured all those issues. The added performance from the sway bar has been restored as well. I bought these off amazon for $28 each.

120113-End Links 01.jpg
120113-End Links 02.jpg

Got my front Stoptech slotted rotors, Hawk HPS, guide pins & guide pin boots installed today! I also order a Mazda OEM roof rack, same deal as geyev.

2hpi2bk.jpg

I know dirty wheel, but it's going to rain tomorrow, so waiting till next week for her wash.

Finished driving through the ice storm that is blasting the Midwest. Drove 800 miles through the entire thing, from freezing rain to sleet to heavy snow. Saw lots of cars off the road, a few rolled over, and had to do 35 mph for a couple hours straight on the interstate, but made it safely. New all-seasons were a good investment, but I'll say that the 5 is not a machine for icy or snowy conditions. I miss my AWD.

What tires do you have on there? I have Blizzaks and stock Toyo rubber but I'm looking to possibly switch to one set of good all seasons as both sets are nearing EOL.
Finished driving through the ice storm that is blasting the Midwest. Drove 800 miles through the entire thing, from freezing rain to sleet to heavy snow. Saw lots of cars off the road, a few rolled over, and had to do 35 mph for a couple hours straight on the interstate, but made it safely. New all-seasons were a good investment, but I'll say that the 5 is not a machine for icy or snowy conditions. I miss my AWD.

What tires do you have on there? I have Blizzaks and stock Toyo rubber but I'm looking to possibly switch to one set of good all seasons as both sets are nearing EOL.

Cooper Zeon RS3-As, which are a recommended tire from ConsumerReports. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS is also recommended, and is the top-rated all-season tire in winter on TireRack, but actually is ranked Poor on winter grip by ConsumerReports. I have a set of snows in the basement, which I'm trying to sell because I don't use them. If I didn't have to drive down to the South in the midst of winter, I'd probably use them, but for my driving now all-seasons are where it's at. I wouldn't say I have great confidence driving in the snow and ice on these Zeons, but they're magnitudes better than my stock tires.

Got driver's control of 3 windows and the door locks back. Easiest repair on the car so far except for the sun visor clip replacement.

uFmAD0C.jpg

Fed Ex delivered the rear shocks and UPS brought the trailer hitch, so I had a busy afternoon in the shop installing them. Easiest hitch install ever! Shocks are also among the easiest I have ever done. I also finally did the rear sway bar bushing lube. I checked the oil while I had it inside and found no oil consumption at all. This after two trips to northern Iowa in the last two weeks, a total of 2500 miles since the oil change. Dave

Any update? I'm about to do the same.

Sorry for the late respone, I just noticed you had asked this.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but it seems to have worked. It's been really cold hear lately (teens - 20's for highs) and I haven't noticed any clunking at all coming from the front, and this is after being parked outside all day at work. Last year on the old busings it would clunk hitting the smallest bumps. It was a real PITA to change the fronts, but it was worth it for the much quieter ride.

Broke the driver's side sliding door handle clean off on Sunday... I guess it turned brittle enough in the cold that it cracked and broke off. Pics later when I install a new one. :(

Funny, both of my sliders were frozen shut today. I had the kids load through the hatch which they LOVED until I could figure out what to do about it. I rolled down the windows and pulled from the door frame, popped right open!

Broke the driver's side sliding door handle clean off on Sunday... I guess it turned brittle enough in the cold that it cracked and broke off. Pics later when I install a new one. :(

Yep, did that two years ago, too when the door was frozen shut and it was pulled too hard.

AST suspension scheduled to arrive today.

Wheels and tires scheduled to arrive Dec 24.

Kosei K4R 17x8 (14.8lbs (headbang))with Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45

Last edited:
AST suspension scheduled to arrive today.

Wheels and tires scheduled to arrive Dec 24.

Kosei Fujin 17x8 (14.8lbs (headbang))with Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45

Nice, and jealous! Post pics when you get them on! I'd like to see fender clearance details too if you're able to shoot those. :)

^^^ You sure you don't mean Kosei K4R? Cause Fujin is Enkei.

Doh! (smash)

Lol, I was deciding between the Kosei K4R 17x8 w/ MSS 225/45 or Enkei Fujin 17x7.5 w/ Conti DW 205/50. Apparently I combined the two and made a new wheel that TireRack will be shipping to me next week.

I used DDM conversion kit, I believe I bought it from here a long time ago. I don't have any pictures yet, been sick all weekend long. I hope tomorrow I'll be able to adjust the headlights and I'll take the pics then.

Back