What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Got the Koni's and H&R springs installed. Adjustable rear camber arms and two new front strut bearings. Received the tires but the wheels are still somewhere else in the country. Need to go get an alignment tomorrow.

20130803_172743.jpg

Today I put on 2012+ rear springs and Koni yellows. It felt great on the test drive, the rear end is much more controlled but not at all harsh.

Next weekend is an alignment and 215/50 Continental PureContact tires. 700 tread wear and 4.5/5 stars on TireRack, yes please.

Curse you all and your lowering springs and your lightweight wheels! I swore when i bought this car that I would not be modifying the suspension or buying wheels for it. There goes that vow out the window :p I installed my Pioneer 3200DVD today, it went well and I'm looking forward to enjoying my commutes more with better tunes.

Back end got smashed up on Sunday, dropped it off to get fixed this morning. And of course I don't get a rental with my insurance...

Bummer; hope it wasn't too bad! I got smacked by a GMC Continental Shelf a few months back, but we were going slow enough only the bumper cover was damaged. Managing for a while with one car too few is a slight pain in the neck, though.

Thanks from me! I can't remember who's the silver one is but when I saw his is when I fell in love with them. Amazing how light they are compared to stockers. I may be crazy but I really can tell a difference...ooh now if I could just get the wife to let me get some H&R's.

Oh yeah- like 6 pounds lighter! My tires are a bit heavier, but overall I saved 4 pounds per corner and got more than an inch of extra tread on the ground at each contact patch too.

Curse you all and your lowering springs and your lightweight wheels! I swore when i bought this car that I would not be modifying the suspension or buying wheels for it. There goes that vow out the window :p I installed my Pioneer 3200DVD today, it went well and I'm looking forward to enjoying my commutes more with better tunes.

Took me 5 years it's never too late, just do it. The Pioneer's a nice mod though!

Oh yeah- like 6 pounds lighter! My tires are a bit heavier, but overall I saved 4 pounds per corner and got more than an inch of extra tread on the ground at each contact patch too.

I was going to guess about 5 lbs. each. I know the MX5 only weigh 17 lbs. I couldn't believe it loading them up after purchase, then really couldn't believe it throwing the stockers around once I got home from having the new ones installed. So heavy, I think 22-23 lbs. is what I read somewhere.

I was going to guess about 5 lbs. each. I know the MX5 only weigh 17 lbs. I couldn't believe it loading them up after purchase, then really couldn't believe it throwing the stockers around once I got home from having the new ones installed. So heavy, I think 22-23 lbs. is what I read somewhere.

I weighed them both- need to upload the pictures. I'm pretty sure my stockers were 23.2 pounds and the MX-5 were 17.2.

Good to know, I didn't have a scale available or else would have done the same thing. Thanks.

Got the Rota's in this morning and mounted them up. Hyper-black Rota Torque, 17x7.5 with 45mm offset. Mounted new 225-45R17 Sumitomo HTR-Z III on them. I had 18" MS3 wheels with 225-45R18 Conti DSW tires before. Weighed them both to compare.

18 inch MS3 wheels with Conti DWS tires in 225-45R18 were 46lbs. Conti shows these tires are 22lbs each.
17 inch Rota wheels with Sumitomo tires in 225-45R17 are 41.5lbs each. Almost 4.5lbs lighter per corner.

Can really tell the difference. The Conti is a great tire but more of an all weather compromise. I've had the Sumitomo before and liked them. Between the tire and the lighter weight on the corners this thing feels a lot livelier. Tracks perfect, instant response, smoother over rough surfaces. Very pleased with the combo.

20130810_134154.jpg

Yesterday I got an alignment and the 215/50/17 Continental Pure Contact tires put on. You guys are right, this is the size the van should've come with. I was a little worried they would look too big, but they don't at all. Except for upgrading the audio, someday, the van mods are complete.

Can really tell the difference. The Conti is a great tire but more of an all weather compromise. I've had the Sumitomo before and liked them. Between the tire and the lighter weight on the corners this thing feels a lot livelier. Tracks perfect, instant response, smoother over rough surfaces. Very pleased with the combo.

Do the HTRZ3 get noisy as they wear? Any chance to test them out on ice/snow on a bad day? I know they're summer tires, but sometimes you don't have a choice. :)

Yesterday I got an alignment and the 215/50/17 Continental Pure Contact tires put on. You guys are right, this is the size the van should've come with. I was a little worried they would look too big, but they don't at all. Except for upgrading the audio, someday, the van mods are complete.

No springs? :D

You guys are right, this is the size the van should've come with.

Since my wife and I feel it's way too sporty and we're way too cool ;) to own a van we call it our 'Can'. Just a little mix between a car and a van. Plus if it didn't have the sliding doors and normal swing out doors no one would be calling it a van. It's our own little 'Can' revolution!!

Nice 5 btw.

Back