What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Did they do this for free?...
I'm out of warranty as well. The Mazda dealership was going to charge me (don't recall how much). So, I bought the mount from Mazda and had it installed for free by a family mechanic.

Maybe it is covered by the power-train warranty? Don't know but it sucks that I didn't think to look into this prior to.

...Is your Canadian 5 rated for towing?
Guess it's officially not, according to this post.

Last edited:
Fun! Putting snow tires on in the snow!

I drove the 5 to work yesterday and today in the hurricane. The P5 has a cold air intake, and I didn't want to risk hydro-locking it if there was standing water somewhere. The 5 is our newest, biggest and tallest (ground clearance, especially) vehicle, so it seemed like the safest thing to drive on a day that the government said "don't drive."

So, last week, someone (not me) backed into a family members car that was in the driveway. Only a small dent, just under the tail light, but it broke the paint, so i got that fixed along with the rear bumper that had been all scratched up for a couple years now. Came back all nice (pics will come later).

However, yesterday my wife was notified by a nice citizen that her tail light was out. ??? I checked and it was just the led lights that werent working on the passenger side, the same side as the damage. The turn signals still worked. So, i figured they removed the light while fixing things and left something loose or unclipped. Checked out how to remove the tail light and it is easy. Didnt see anything wrong, but wiggled and pushed in all the connections. Turned on the lights and like magic it was working again.

Yay! I love when there is a simple fix.

Updated the FAQ and the tail light removal thread.

Followed a matching 5 most of the way to work today. Eventually passed her and realized that she was in a Grand Touring, due to the side skirts and leather interior. I'd still rather have the 5-speed! :)

took the 5 in for PA inspection, 3 years old and 45K miles. needs rear shocks. too cold to do it myself, so I'm having them put KYB's on, $250 total.
I kind of expected the rear shocks to blow out based on posts here, just waiting for it. the knocking has been getting worse when it's loaded down (which is most of the time).

Added a sticker. +5 HP! ;)

<- my current profile pic is the sticker. Only the sticker is Blue!

Replacing the whole front suspension, shaking a lot when doing 75+ on hgwy, and when hit the brakes even worst. dealer said is 1680$ for the whole job, find my parts at onlimazdaparts.com for 630$, and my mechanic says 250$ for the whole thing.

Are you sure it's the suspension and not just warped brake rotors?

...and my sticker is on the back glass.

Are you sure it's the suspension and not just warped brake rotors?

...and my sticker is on the back glass.
so-called 'warped' rotors would not cause vibration at 75; rotors are usually blamed for the shuddering while braking, or pulsating brake pedal.

btw, 'warped' rotors are in reality wafers with a build up of brake pad deposits, from hot stops, allowing pad material to melt onto the rotor surface.

Drove it....

Oh yeah. Forgot to add that I put a Tri-Point turbo kit on it last week. Fastest minivan in the kids carpool lane.

Attachments

• P1010240.jpg
    P1010240.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 820
  • P1010241.jpg
    P1010241.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 804
  • P1010244.jpg
    P1010244.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 793
Replacing the whole front suspension, shaking a lot when doing 75+ on hgwy, and when hit the brakes even worst. dealer said is 1680$ for the whole job, find my parts at onlimazdaparts.com for 630$, and my mechanic says 250$ for the whole thing.

How many times have you had real tire guys look at the wheels and tires? Shimmy that occurs only at high speed can indicate a bent wheel, out-of-balance or out-of-round tires (lock up the brakes anytime recently?) or a separated tire that is just beginning, and will get worse at increasingly slower speeds. Have someone drive another car w/you and visually inspect all 4 wheels while at speed, looking for a "bouncy" wheel. If you find one AND its not any of the above, it could be a failed shock/strut.

Kinda starting to think that. I had a satisfying feeling being able to outdrag a Honda Civic up an interstate entrance ramp to beat the merge.

None yet. Not sure if I'll ever get one. Standard Tri-Point kit so should be in the 240whp to 260whp range.

Nope. Was completely sober when I decided to do it. (just kidding)

Stock clutch?
w00t

More like stock torque converter. This van is an auto. The 08 I had was a stick. In retrospect I probably should have kept that one. The torque management actually works pretty good with it. It drops the throttle enough between gear changes that you actually hear the bypass valve release. It almost feels and sounds like a manual trans car when it shifts under boost. I'm at the PRI show this week in Orlando and spoke with the Mazdaspeed guys today. One of their vehicle engineers is going to be here Friday. Am going to see if I can get a few minutes with him to see what improvements can be done to the FNR5 automatic. They are also going to be converting a stock Mazda2 to a B-spec car at the show. Will have to check that out.

Back