What does your cargo area look like?

I use a large laundry basket to keep smaller items confined - groceries, tools, even 5 gallon propane bottles. Held in place by bungees it can be removed in seconds to accommodate large items. The rubber mat has been used in the last three vehicles I’ve owned. It was originally intended for my 2012 Durango.

[I normally use a black basket, but that doesn’t photograph well against the black interior.]

IMG_3818.jpeg

Curious what setup people have with cargo carpets / mats, storage bins, emergency supplies etc.

2016 CX-5, with the factory cargo mat. Purchased a "modular tool crate" (ie, Ridgid, Milwaukee, DeWalt) to carry the various fluids, tools, shop towels, as well as a 12V inflater/charger. Anchored with paracord to the tie-down loops, everything is stable. Modular crates of this sort are also available with latching lids.

Mine looks like this.

Attachments

• PXL_20230806_105438896.jpg
    PXL_20230806_105438896.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 86
My cargo area starts below the floor.

I have added a fire extinguisher, a can of fix-a-flat, a basic tool kit with VOM, spare blade fuses, spare cartridge fuses, spare relays, 3 LED flares, disposable coveralls, reflective vest, a heavy duty space blanket, work gloves, and a lithium jump-start battery.

IMG_2389.JPG

I put a piece of foam sleeping pad on top to keep the fire extinguisher from bouncing around.

IMG_2390.JPG

On top of the floor I installed a protective cargo tray.

IMG_2392.JPG

In the right wheel cubby, I used velcro to attach a basic first-aid kit.

IMG_2391.JPG

I also appreciate the 4 cargo anchors in the back.

Not at all fun, but a very practical kit.

My cargo area starts below the floor.

I have added a fire extinguisher, a can of fix-a-flat, a basic tool kit with VOM, spare blade fuses, spare cartridge fuses, spare relays, 3 LED flares, disposable coveralls, reflective vest, a heavy duty space blanket, work gloves, and a lithium jump-start battery.

View attachment 321287

I put a piece of foam sleeping pad on top to keep the fire extinguisher from bouncing around.

View attachment 321288

On top of the floor I installed a protective cargo tray.

View attachment 321289

In the right wheel cubby, I used velcro to attach a basic first-aid kit.

View attachment 321291

I also appreciate the 4 cargo anchors in the back.

Not at all fun, but a very practical kit.
That looks like a great use of the space! Curious if you have water as well given the other emergency prep gear

MW,

Of course I do ;), 16 bottles of drinking water.
IMG_2393.JPG

I am a little disappointed there is no storage under the passenger seat. I also like to store a bit of non-perishable food in my cars, and under the rear seat has been my go-to spot.

In addition to the basic first-aid kit, I also have a larger "Trauma" kit in a red soft side cooler. It has tournaquets, Israeli bandages, airway, chest seals, and other supplies for serious injuries. It gets put in the car for road trips, especially to locations that are not close to emergency services.

My Jeep kit is truly epic!

TR

Last edited:
MW,

Of course I do ;), 16 bottles of drinking water.
View attachment 321297

I am a little disappointed there is no storage under the passenger seat. I also like to store a bit of non-perishable food in my cars, and under the rear seat has been my go-to spot.

In addition to the basic first-aid kit, I also have a larger "Trauma" kit in a red soft side cooler. It has tournaquets, Israeli bandages, airway, chest seals, and other supplies for serious injuries. It gets put in the car for road trips, especially to locations that are not close to emergency services.

My Jeep kit is truly epic!

TR

Looks like you're prepared for the worst!

If I were you, I wouldn't store any food, of any kind, in my car. Animals can smell it, no matter how well packed, and they'll try to get it if possible and that's not a good thing for your car.

I'm sure that you've seen the vids with bears trashing someone's car. No bears in your area? There are mice no matter where you live, and they can mess up a car fairly quickly.

That's one thing I miss that my last 3 VW's had. Slide out under seat storage drawers under the front seats.

I'm with ya there, Meow! Our Jetta Sportwagon TDI had a bunch of storage areas. We sold it back to VW because of DieselGate after driving it for nearly 5 years, got almost what we paid for it back too.

We sold it back to VW because of DieselGate after driving it for nearly 5 years, got almost what we paid for it back too.
Ditto on the DieselGate. I had mine for 6 years. I really loved my TDI but I couldn't not sell it back for what I got. :)

Our Mazda5 has storage under the center seats.

As far as "dieselgate", that's the biggest BS I ever heard of. If you ask me, VW did nothing wrong. VW was given a very specific set of conditions with which they had to meet emissions. They read the rule book, and did precisely what was asked of them.

What VW did is no different that what the famous race car builder Smokey Yunick did: they studied the rulebook and played by the exact letter of the rules. My favorite Smokey story was, when entering car into a race with an automatic transmission, the rules said the OEM torque converter had to remain in the car. So he threw it in the trunk! That's not cheating, that's genius!

As far as "dieselgate", that's the biggest BS I ever heard of. If you ask me, VW did nothing wrong. VW was given a very specific set of conditions with which they had to meet emissions. They read the rule book, and did precisely what was asked of them.
That's not quite right. They developed an algorithm to detect the conditions matching that the test was being run, which then CHANGED the engine operating parameters to pass the emissions test only under those circumstances. But those operating parameters were not used in normal driving, even under the same/similar conditions. So, they cheated by not meeting the emissions requirements when the car was being driven on the road.

They developed an algorithm to detect the conditions matching that the test was being run, which then CHANGED the engine operating parameters to pass the emissions test only under those circumstances.

Correct and I said as much. There was absolutely nothing published in the rules that said that wasn't allowed, which means that it is allowed. Hence, they absolutely did not cheat, they followed the rulebook precisely as written.

The rules were dumb and the VW engineers were smart.

Correct and I said as much. There was absolutely nothing published in the rules that said that wasn't allowed, which means that it is allowed. Hence, they absolutely did not cheat, they followed the rulebook precisely as written.

The rules were dumb and the VW engineers were smart.

There was nothing in the rules that said that the rules couldn't be broken? Yeah, that makes sense.

There was nothing in the rules that said that the rules couldn't be broken? Yeah, that makes sense.
But that's just it, the rules weren't broken at all. Just like Smokey didn't break the rules when he put the factory torque converter in the trunk.

Back