What do I need to install the MS3 swaybar?

I have these on my 2010 mz5 touring with a 2007 mazdaspeed3 rsb

Moog K750069 Sway Bar Link

Prothane 19-1182 Red 26 mm Universal Greasable Sway Bar Bushing fits B Style Bracket

Ordered from amazon.

Last edited:
Sounds dumb but you can't complete the install otherwise. Don't forget that you also need the larger nut to go on the ms3 links (link x swaybar - the link x control arm can be reused since it is the same size).

Prothane 19-1182 Red 26 mm Universal Greasable Sway Bar Bushing fits B Style Bracket
HIGHLY recommend the Moogs (x2) and Prothane bushing/bracket set. I would also add in a HIGH quality grease (I use SuperLube)

It "seems" Mazda revised their bushing design (I still don't believe their durability) but the setup above does not make any noises for me (for now), and because grease gun + flex hose.

Last edited:
The endlinks that I posted come with the appropriate sized hardware already. Nothing else will be necessary but the grease. Also, you may want to get an extra zerk fitting before they arrive, as some members have complained that moog sends one fitting in one package, but not in the other. Happened with me to, so I'm glad I was prepared.

IMO, the key is that the rear end is as good as the weakest link.
Pics are worth a thousand words.

Bushing & Brackets:
ikqs.jpg

Left most is OE MS3 bracket w/bushing, copper looking one in the middle is the Prothane (notice the bracket is MUCH wider for more grip to keep the bar steady BUT the metal is not as thick (stiff) as the OE brackets, and the bracket on the bar is the Mz5. If you don’t want to deal with maintenance, go with OE or Moog OE (now available!!!) rubber replacements. I don’t trust Mazda suppliers so I’d avoid OE but that’s just IMHO.

End Links:
phl9.jpg

See the center shaft diameter difference between the Moog vs OEM? I never had the OE MS3 links but from MS3 forum pics they look identical to the Mz5, with the exception that the end link-to-bar mount has a larger diameter stud. Not even a debate, get the Moogs (or something better)! As hibern8r mentioned, each package came with 1 zerk but that’s ok with me since it “seems” the bottom half endures the rotational forces. I don’t recall if there’s an opening for a 2nd zerk and where that would be. Can someone post a pic of this?? Also, since the zerks are left open without a cap, I use one of those white rubber maid metal closet shelf system caps to cover it up.

More here.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...Mazda5-today&p=6184670&viewfull=1#post6184670

Last edited:
Awesome guys, thanks for the info. I just need to order the moog links and I'm all set. Cant wait for this one, I'm hoping it helps keep the inside front from spinning on acceleration when turning at intersections.

Silent, the upper zerk location is visible on the right side of the link in your picture. Its just a small circle thats easy to miss since its half covered by the dust boot and filled almost flush with grease out of the box. FWIW I got mine in 2 days(!) and it came with 2 fittings each.

So I put the bar in, the info about the frame brackets being the same for the 5 vs the MS3 is not correct, they are different part numbers. I would say the difference between the brackets is about 1/4" depth to account for the thicker bar. In hindsight, it wouldn't make sense the bracket is the same considering a minimum thickness needed for the bushing. I put some washers under the bracket temporarily until I get a chance to fix it properly with either MS3 brackets or a whole new setup, whichever is cheaper. The difference in feel and handling is pretty nice, it doesn't seem to toss as much over rough pavement.

My mistake! I swear they “look” identical when I compared them. I guess I didn’t look thoroughly enough (my eye test failed me) or remembered incorrectly, granted I never actually try to use the MS3 brackets and went straight to Prothane. Will need to have a thorough look see. I still recommend the Prothane more but as consolidation I can send you a pair of MS3 brackets –just pay for shipping or pick'er up.

Will edit posts above to prevent confusion.

Silent, the upper zerk location is visible on the right side of the link in your picture. Its just a small circle thats easy to miss since its half covered by the dust boot and filled almost flush with grease out of the box. FWIW I got mine in 2 days(!) and it came with 2 fittings each.
That's not cool. I feel like I got gypped – twice :(

Last edited:
Eh its OK. I should get the prothane ones Wednesday. I appreciate the offer but for $17 shipped it's not worth using the old ones. It should be very fast to swap them out so I'm good for my trip. They do look very similar but unless you get them side by side you really wouldn't know for sure.

I have these on my 2010 mz5 touring with a 2007 mazdaspeed3 rsb
Ordered from amazon.

currently JC Whitney has 'em for:
Subtotal$35.24
Discount-$7.05
Shipping FREE
-6% cashback from fatwallet which puts 'em at about $26.5/ea, cheaper than amazon's $30.32

i already regret this mod because the endlinks are so stupidly expensive (and my car is brand spanking new w/ no squeaks). at $75 for used endlinks + rear sway + bracket this would've been alight, but at $110, not worth my effort, IMO.

$35 would have made a difference to you on this? I spent $180.67, 106.50 for the bar, $57.18 for the endlinks and $16.99 for the bushings and I felt it was totally worth it. I was hoping to have the hardware included but only got the rubbers from the bushings and half of one torched off endlink. I justify the new links and bushings as preemptive work on the parts that will fail anyway.

$35 would have made a difference to you on this?
totally. considering the bar was only $50, and new endlinks is running $60. that's 120% diff, percentage wise, on a microvan that just can't move very fast, especially when the middle row car seats are loaded... not everyone is autocrossing these things.

in hindsight, i should've better spent this money on gas (which is now $4.20/gal where i'm at)

Does anyone have a MS3 bar they'd like to sell? I think it's time for this upgrade on my 2010.

here's one for $80 shipped:
http://www. mazda 3 forums . com/showthread.php?t=615665 (remove spaces since url to 'em are banned?)

here's one fro $60 + shipping:
http://www. mazda 3 forums . com/showthread.php?t=603785

IMO, due to weight, much better to buy local.

120% price difference on a used bar vs new endlinks? wha....? Thats some crazy math if you ask me. The proverbial comparing apples to oranges if you will.

I wish I hadn't looked but a new bar is only $175 fwiw. Being one of the wackos that has autocrossed mine, maybe the only one that has done it with the middle row occupied, I feel the upgrade was worth the effort. Sure the 5 is slow but it does handle well and this makes that even better. Just curious, why would you have done this upgrade if you didn't care about the handling? I'm just very confused about the very modest price and effort of the upgrade and how little you feel its worth in the end.

totally. considering the bar was only $50, and new endlinks is running $60. that's 120% diff, percentage wise, on a microvan that just can't move very fast, especially when the middle row car seats are loaded... not everyone is autocrossing these things.

in hindsight, i should've better spent this money on gas (which is now $4.20/gal where i'm at)

it's not so much about used bar vs new endlinks. it's just comparing the total cost of the upgrade. sorry I wasn't being clear. if i had spent $60 total, i wouldn't kvetch. it ended up being $120, so i'm bitching.

had already put in the $ thinking it'd be great to have the van handle better. but during the shipping, and finding time to install, i looked over to a guy in a topdown boxster s one wknd and realized: this is stupid, i'm in a van. micro van, but still a van, loaded with babies (and strollers, and really expensive organic, locally-grown fruits from the farmers market).

lolz at middle row being occupied during a run; but that's also an apple/oranges comparison since scca doesn't allow anyone < 16 in a vehicle. at least my local chapter didn't?

120% price difference on a used bar vs new endlinks? wha....? Thats some crazy math if you ask me. The proverbial comparing apples to oranges if you will.

I wish I hadn't looked but a new bar is only $175 fwiw. Being one of the wackos that has autocrossed mine, maybe the only one that has done it with the middle row occupied, I feel the upgrade was worth the effort. Sure the 5 is slow but it does handle well and this makes that even better. Just curious, why would you have done this upgrade if you didn't care about the handling? I'm just very confused about the very modest price and effort of the upgrade and how little you feel its worth in the end.

Back