What did you pay for your CX-5?

I guess you missed my original reply back to you several pages back. Don*t use the sites like Costco, Edmunds, and TrueCar. They*re paid services (they make like $300 for the referral), and you can kill their prices by shopping around and haggling a little. Granted, haggling or spending a little time isn*t for everyone, and that*s okay if that*s your thing I guess, but it*s not that hard to get them to drop the price some, most it*s as simple as just asking and stating you*re not paying that. It*s like the employee E and S-Plan prices, sure it*s better than the gullible that pay MSRP and above (ouch), but there literally are dealers that advertise prices lower than those deals from the start. Good luck and I hope everyone solidifies the deal and gains the new auto they*re looking for one way or the other...

Actually, I did catch your advice, and I took it...in a way.

I found out that AAA uses True Car, and recalling your advice, I created a different profile, and grabbed an address far enough away so that it would pick up dealers in a different market (other than the one I am working with) so as not to screw the pooch.

I wanted to have something to compare my deal to. So far, the AAA experience is horrible. They have 2 bundles of options to choose from on their website, their stated MSRPs for the option packages are off by $250-$650, and I got an automated email from a dealer that's over 125 miles away from the address I used. I'm going to call the other dealer that's 60 miles away from me just to see what they can do.

I decided to check out Costco pricing for a CX-5. The closest dealership that participates is a couple hours away. The Costco price for a Touring with Preferred Equipment package was $28,700 before taxes/fees. There is one on a lot close to me that is identical for $28,300 before negotiating/taxes/fees. Obviously that is not very impressive from Costco... It makes me wonder if i actually got the Costco price or if they are just trying to take a couple hundred off of list price seem as a great deal. I was under the impression that Costco pricing was usually a bit above the dealer inflated invoice. Anyway, heads up.

I too was very disappointed by Costco pricing after reading about other people's experiences. For a white touring, AWD, PEP with MSRP of $29,910, I was quoted $650 under invoice, which was $28,315 before TTL. I was able to get it for $25,5xx before TTL from another dealer, without using Costco. No comparison in my experience.

what is your strategy to get dealers bidding against each other? Do you explicitly say "I have a similar/better offer, do you want to beat that" os something like that?

I initially emailed any dealer in about a 50 mike radius which was quite a few for me. I just told them I had already test drove, preferred certain colors and the model I wanted. Told them Id like to wrap something up by the end of the month. Straight up said that I was checking different dealerships, and whoever offers me the best price is where Im going. Some will give quotes, some dont. I just ask nicely to give me a quote, or Im going to the next dealer. I went back and forth with 1 dealership for a while until I was getting down to the pricing I wanted, but that was about a week of emails. Then, I had dealers closer and just told them, I have this offer OTD, Id prefer to do business with you since youre closer, can you beat or match this price or throw in accessories. I just played the game, made sure I had numbers in writing, then called them to verify and went down in person. They knew I did my research and I wasnt going to budge on anything but the OTD I was quoted.

I initially emailed any dealer in about a 50 mike radius which was quite a few for me. I just told them I had already test drove, preferred certain colors and the model I wanted. Told them I*d like to wrap something up by the end of the month. Straight up said that I was checking different dealerships, and whoever offers me the best price is where I*m going. Some will give quotes, some don*t. I just ask nicely to give me a quote, or I*m going to the next dealer. I went back and forth with 1 dealership for a while until I was getting down to the pricing I wanted, but that was about a week of emails. Then, I had dealers closer and just told them, I have this offer OTD, I*d prefer to do business with you since you*re closer, can you beat or match this price or throw in accessories. I just played the game, made sure I had numbers in writing, then called them to verify and went down in person. They knew I did my research and I wasn*t going to budge on anything but the OTD I was quoted.

Yep. Stick to your guns. Be patient. Don*t go to the dealer until you have your price in hand. Pretty simple to me. Great job....

Hi everyone!

I've spent the last week going through about 50 pages of this thread, super excited to be hopefully picking up a 2019 CX-5 in the next few months.

In the past I've owned a 2007 3 Sedan, 2013 3 Hatch and now a 2016 3 Hatch. Looking forward to my 4th Mazda!

I'm planning on doing this one all over email because I am bad at haggling and tend to make impulsive decisions.

Does anyone have any templates or actual emails they can share? Also, thanks Capthat for the great advice!

I initially emailed any dealer in about a 50 mike radius which was quite a few for me. I just told them I had already test drove, preferred certain colors and the model I wanted. Told them Id like to wrap something up by the end of the month. Straight up said that I was checking different dealerships, and whoever offers me the best price is where Im going. Some will give quotes, some dont. I just ask nicely to give me a quote, or Im going to the next dealer. I went back and forth with 1 dealership for a while until I was getting down to the pricing I wanted, but that was about a week of emails. Then, I had dealers closer and just told them, I have this offer OTD, Id prefer to do business with you since youre closer, can you beat or match this price or throw in accessories. I just played the game, made sure I had numbers in writing, then called them to verify and went down in person. They knew I did my research and I wasnt going to budge on anything but the OTD I was quoted.

Great! Thanks very much for the detailed info. I'm doing it right now. Just A quick question. Is it fine if I send one dealer's quote to another to beat it?

Great! Thanks very much for the detailed info. I'm doing it right now. Just A quick question. Is it fine if I send one dealer's quote to another to beat it?

I started doing that once I got one of the dealers prices down to a number that I was willing to pay. Then I let them bid. I was patient though and not in a hurry so I was able to wait until I saw a price I liked. I ended up buying the 2nd to last day of the month. Im sure it does depend on sales numbers and inventory of the dealers, because like I said, the one dealer repeatedly told me there was no way he could match the price and didnt even believe it was that low. It was funny, because after I told them I wasnt going to go with them unless they could match, every now and then Id get phone calls from their managers so Id throw some numbers at them but they still wouldnt budge. I ended up going to a dealer 30mi away, but got a good price so worth it.

Hi everyone!

I've spent the last week going through about 50 pages of this thread, super excited to be hopefully picking up a 2019 CX-5 in the next few months.

In the past I've owned a 2007 3 Sedan, 2013 3 Hatch and now a 2016 3 Hatch. Looking forward to my 4th Mazda!

I'm planning on doing this one all over email because I am bad at haggling and tend to make impulsive decisions.

Does anyone have any templates or actual emails they can share? Also, thanks Capthat for the great advice!

No prob. I was originally going to wait for 2019, and then go impatient, but happy with the 2018 haha.

My emails basically just said that I had already test drove the car (which I did). So go in and actually test it out, but just be upfront and say I'm not buying at all, and I'm in no rush. They didn't pressure me at all and it was good.

Then I said that I wanted certain exterior/interior color, and whatever model trim and that I was shopping around different dealerships in the area. Mazda is weird in that they charge different prices for paint, but in the email I said something along the lines of "I'm assuming regardless of color, the price you quote me will be good for any color in this trim"

Most important thing in the email is I asked them to include the MSRP, Invoice, any dealer incentives, customer cash, discounts, etc. whether or not there are any dealer add-ons, and what the total Out the Door pricing is.

I would end it with something along the lines of, "I'd like to complete this purchase by ________ date, and whoever can offer me the best pricing and customer service is who I will end up buying from"

Since you're looking at a 2019 I'm not sure how much they will budge. However, many of them won't want to send a price. They'll tell you to come down. I then reply and ask them nicely to answer the questions I had in my email. If they did, then I'd write their price down, and work on the next one. Some of them will ask you what price you are willing to pay. Since I was shopping 2018, I took 20% off factory MSRP and calculated a rough number of OTD price that I knew I probably couldn't get. It was a starting point, and sometimes they would start to negotiate. The dealer I went with I straight up said I want $26,000 OTD because I used some of the prices on here to figure out what a good price would be. We went back and forth for a while, involved some other dealers, and when it was all said and done got it for 26,190, but it was a grind for a few weeks. Stick to your guns and be ready to move on if you don't feel good about the price.

Just about every car company has a couple paint colors that are extra $$$. Mazda didn't start that.

Just got a quote from one dealer for a 2018 CX-5 Touring with PP black

MSRP: $28,410
Sales price: $24,850

Originally, was trying to go for Touring without PP but this seems good...right? Not sure how much their doc fee is cause it differs around here but this dealership def has the largest inventory of 2018s.

Edit:
Of course too good to be true. I specifically asked for $26,500 OTD WITH 0% financing and he came back with the $24,850 which I assumed would be the sales price for the 0% financing since that is what I asked for which would put me over to $27.3 OTD...which isn't terrible but I'd prefer to be $27k otd or nothing...smh.

Last edited:
No prob. I was originally going to wait for 2019, and then go impatient, but happy with the 2018 haha.

My emails basically just said that I had already test drove the car (which I did). So go in and actually test it out, but just be upfront and say I'm not buying at all, and I'm in no rush. They didn't pressure me at all and it was good.

Then I said that I wanted certain exterior/interior color, and whatever model trim and that I was shopping around different dealerships in the area. Mazda is weird in that they charge different prices for paint, but in the email I said something along the lines of "I'm assuming regardless of color, the price you quote me will be good for any color in this trim"

Most important thing in the email is I asked them to include the MSRP, Invoice, any dealer incentives, customer cash, discounts, etc. whether or not there are any dealer add-ons, and what the total Out the Door pricing is.

I would end it with something along the lines of, "I'd like to complete this purchase by ________ date, and whoever can offer me the best pricing and customer service is who I will end up buying from"

Since you're looking at a 2019 I'm not sure how much they will budge. However, many of them won't want to send a price. They'll tell you to come down. I then reply and ask them nicely to answer the questions I had in my email. If they did, then I'd write their price down, and work on the next one. Some of them will ask you what price you are willing to pay. Since I was shopping 2018, I took 20% off factory MSRP and calculated a rough number of OTD price that I knew I probably couldn't get. It was a starting point, and sometimes they would start to negotiate. The dealer I went with I straight up said I want $26,000 OTD because I used some of the prices on here to figure out what a good price would be. We went back and forth for a while, involved some other dealers, and when it was all said and done got it for 26,190, but it was a grind for a few weeks. Stick to your guns and be ready to move on if you don't feel good about the price.

Thank you so much for your reply, Capthat! Writing all of this down. Excited to get started in a month or two!

I agree that I'm not sure how much they'll budge on a 2019 so early. But I really want CarPlay & ventilated seats as I'm in Orlando. :)

They dont make you. I actually called Costco to ask this and they have no policy regarding emailing instead. A few of the dealerships I contacted are 4+ hours away. I explained when I contacted them that I live a long distance but if they offer me a good number via email I'll make the drive. I have seen others have a good experience with it. I think in my situation the first dealership to respond is jerking me around and not being serious... so typical dealership. I'll update this thread with the other numbers I get back.

So i got another quote back. A Touring with the Preferred Package for a little over 30k out the door. Kind of ridiculous considering the new models will be hitting lots very soon. Ive got Hyundai dealerships giving me insanely low prices for Tuscons they wanna move out before the refresh (like 10k less than this). So far no Mazda dealer ive worked with has wanted to budge at all. Its an interesting decision to make.

So another dealer i'm talking with said $26.5k OTD is doable for a Touring with no upgrades or PP at 0% financing. So MSRP is $27,665 and sales prices would be around $24,200...Now it all depends on trade in of my VW Golf and if that preferred package is worth it or not...

I started doing that once I got one of the dealers prices down to a number that I was willing to pay. Then I let them bid. I was patient though and not in a hurry so I was able to wait until I saw a price I liked. I ended up buying the 2nd to last day of the month. Im sure it does depend on sales numbers and inventory of the dealers, because like I said, the one dealer repeatedly told me there was no way he could match the price and didnt even believe it was that low. It was funny, because after I told them I wasnt going to go with them unless they could match, every now and then Id get phone calls from their managers so Id throw some numbers at them but they still wouldnt budge. I ended up going to a dealer 30mi away, but got a good price so worth it.

Thanks very much. Your OTD was $26,190 for a Touring with Preferred Package?

So another dealer i'm talking with said $26.5k OTD is doable for a Touring with no upgrades or PP at 0% financing. So MSRP is $27,665 and sales prices would be around $24,200...Now it all depends on trade in of my VW Golf and if that preferred package is worth it or not...
Sounds like a good price. Best I have right now is 26,069 OTD but without 0%.

Thanks very much. Your OTD was $26,190 for a Touring with Preferred Package?

No, I didn't get preferred package. Tax in AZ is kind of high, 8.1% which sucks when buying something like a car. I did pay $80 for an SD card to get the navigation though. I'll probably buy some new front speakers though, because the 6 speaker setup is lacking in the Touring. I'm ok without the moonroof and automatic liftgate.

Thank you so much for your reply, Capthat! Writing all of this down. Excited to get started in a month or two!

I agree that I'm not sure how much they'll budge on a 2019 so early. But I really want CarPlay & ventilated seats as I'm in Orlando. :)

Yeah I really want CarPlay as well, especially since many other automakers have it standard now. Hoping I can get it installed for cheap later on. Ventilated seats would be nice in Phoenix as well, but overall I'm pleased with the 2018.

Back