What did you pay for your CX-5?

Greater CLE

We rented a Ford Explorer for a trip recently and really liked the tech on it...particularly how the back-up camera curved as it moved (as opposed to straight on like old Mazdas). Do you know if new Mazda back-up camera is improved? Tx

I just brought a Soul Red GT without premium, with wheel locks, cargo mat, bumper guard and roof rails. MSRP of $31,580 paid $27,500 out the door, I feel like I stole it at that price. Before tax, tag, and title it was only $26,400. Was at the dealer for less than an hour. Great experience, they even delivered the car to my house as they traded what I wanted from another dealer. If anyone is in the Raleigh, NC area give Frema Mazda of Goldsboro a chance, tell them Carl Collie referred you. Kayla was awesome to work with.

Fantastic price. Was this a 2017? Also, guessing FWD?

Greater CLE

We rented a Ford Explorer for a trip recently and really liked the tech on it...particularly how the back-up camera curved as it moved (as opposed to straight on like old Mazdas). Do you know if new Mazda back-up camera is improved? Tx
No, it's still straight lines.
Recommend Bass Mazda.

About to head in to negotiate for 2017 GT with or without Premium Package depending on deals offered. I have questions:

a)Current incentives posted on Kelley Blue Book show only .09 percent financing...while one dealer near me advertising zero percent. Is Kelley usually up-to-date or is there a better place to look for incentives/rebates? Also Kelley showing Mazda offering $500 loyalty cash

b)Because it's December and the 2018 CX-5s are about to come out, what sort of leverage can I expect. I know this is Mazda's most popular model, but a search of inventory within 50 miles of me shows more than 100 new 2017 CX-5 GTs in two colors I would consider.

c) I saw the price paid by Colliece in most recent posts and it's a stunner. Is it unreasonable to expect similar in Ohio (another state/region?)

d) Finally, I'd like the Premium Package + remote start + backup alarms. Should I start negotiations with basic CX-5 GT w/AWD....and then after I get price start negotiating others...or should I negotiate the whole thing up front? I could live without these package or options, but if I could get a good value, I'd pay extra.

Thank you in advance for help/guidance.

Clark Howard

“Every year at this time, you usually hear auto-buying experts extolling the virtues of why right now is a great time to buy a last-model-year vehicle or what a deal used cars would be at year-end sales events.

But not this year!

Why you may want to hold off until 2018 to buy a car…”

http://clark.com/cars/buying/thinking-of-buying-a-new-or-used-car-during-year-end-sales-think-again/

Is there any significant difference between a 17 and an 18 GT besides the power seats? If the two are extremely similar I can see dealers offering less discounts vs other years where there are significant upgrades included in the new model.

I mentioned the 18's when I negotiated a respectable price on my 17 Touring w/PEP last week but I don't know that it made a huge difference. The '18 touring will include 19' wheels, lane keep and adaptive cruise so in my case I was forgoing some features in the name of a lower price.

Also, I actually prefer the 17 to the 18 as I think I'd rather have the ride of 17' wheels to 19' but more importantly I'd have reservations about being an early adopter to the cylinder disabling that they've added to their engines this year.

Went to a dealer last night - and saw no December magic in price negotiations, so left with quote to beat on 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD(essentially offered target price according to Kelley for my area + 0 percent financing, but nothing more).

I mentioned the person from NC who posted here w/phenomenal price and had big salesperson push-back (with slight flash of anger, really), who dismissed it as regional anomaly.

Did get decent trade offer our CX-5, which dealer said they intended to sell certified - I'm guessing that's a good thing, but sales didn't explain.

Went to a dealer last night - and saw no December magic in price negotiations, so left with quote to beat on 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD(essentially offered target price according to Kelley for my area + 0 percent financing, but nothing more).

I mentioned the person from NC who posted here w/phenomenal price and had big salesperson push-back (with slight flash of anger, really), who dismissed it as regional anomaly.

Did get decent trade offer our CX-5, which dealer said they intended to sell certified - I'm guessing that's a good thing, but sales didn't explain.

I will be glad to post a copy of my buyers order if anybody would like it to help with your negotiations.

I have been lurking for a bit and got some valuable info on what price range I should be looking for. I wanted to share my price/experience to help anyone else.

White 2017 CX-5 Touring with Preferred Package.

$25,200 before TTL
$27,324 OTD
0% APR financing

I had to use the LA Auto Show rebate and the Mazda loyalty to get to this price. I was originally planning to pull the trigger at the end of the year but this configuration was starting to be hard to find.

I have been lurking for a bit and got some valuable info on what price range I should be looking for. I wanted to share my price/experience to help anyone else.

White 2017 CX-5 Touring with Preferred Package.

$25,200 before TTL
$27,324 OTD
0% APR financing

I had to use the LA Auto Show rebate and the Mazda loyalty to get to this price. I was originally planning to pull the trigger at the end of the year but this configuration was starting to be hard to find.

Damn, your taxes and title where $2,124? Glad I do no live in your state. I paid $27,600 without the Premium Package, I did have to pay extra for Soul Red, and I had no rebates either.

Damn, your taxes and title where $2,124? Glad I do no live in your state. I paid $27,600 without the Premium Package, I did have to pay extra for Soul Red, and I had no rebates either.

Yep... apparently its crazy. I honestly didn't realize this until I started reading this forum where people were posting before tax prices due to the TTL being very different based on the state you are in.

Just bought our new CX-5 during Thanksgiving weekend, posting my selling price in case it helps anyone else. I'm in Nor Cal Bay area and got a lot of quotes from various dealers, and the inventory (with the spec I wanted) sold fast and only a few were left, so pulled the trigger after I felt it was a good price. This has been a very useful and welcoming community throughout my research process, so be happy to return the favor at any time.

2017 CX-5 Touring, machine grey, AWD, Preferred Package + roof rails

$29,635 MSRP

$26,624 dealer selling price (without rebates, used this amount to calculate taxes)
$1,250 cash rebate
$500 auto show rebate

$24,874 before TTL

$27,623 OTD + free all weather mats + free 7,500 mile service

The catch was that I had to finance at "standard rate" (very high considering my good credit at 4.99%), but I paid it off as soon as the loan was posted, so paid ~$50 bucks in interest. All the dealerships were pushing this structure even after I told them I plan to pay cash. Most likely due to commissions from the loan, and they want you to have the loan open for 3+ months, but the contract and California law have no pre-payment penalty.

If anyone local is in the market, I can refer you to my sales guy (who was very down to earth and respectful).

Thoughts on how well I negotiated? Good price?

Last edited:
Just bought our new CX-5 during Thanksgiving weekend, posting my selling price in case it helps anyone else. I'm in Nor Cal Bay area and got a lot of quotes from various dealers, and the inventory (with the spec I wanted) sold fast and only a few were left, so pulled the trigger after I felt it was a good price. This has been a very useful and welcoming community throughout my research process, so be happy to return the favor at any time.

2017 CX-5, machine grey, AWD, Preferred Package + roof rails

$29,635 MSRP

$26,624 dealer selling price (without rebates, used this amount to calculate taxes)
$1,250 cash rebate
$500 auto show rebate

$24,874 before TTL

$27,623 OTD + free all weather mats + free 7,500 mile service

The catch was that I had to finance at "standard rate" (very high considering my good credit at 4.99%), but I paid it off as soon as the loan was posted, so paid ~$50 bucks in interest. All the dealerships were pushing this structure even after I told them I plan to pay cash. Most likely due to commissions from the loan, and they want you to have the loan open for 3+ months, but the contract and California law have no pre-payment penalty.

If anyone local is in the market, I can refer you to my sales guy (who was very down to earth and respectful).

Thoughts on how well I negotiated? Good price?

Thanks so much for posting. I assume this was a 2017 Touring model?

Thanks for sharing all this info. I am close to leasing a CX touring AWD for my daughter with Preferred Equip, All weather mats and rear door sill guard.

I get an MSRP of 29,060 and an invoice of 28,132.75 (this includes destination fee)
In NJ fees (tax, title, reg, bank, doc, tire, first month) come to 2,234 (tbd on paying up front or rolling into lease - no need to discuss pros and cons as I know them)
There are two incentives on table (750+1960)

Basically I am getting car at invoice minus the $2710 in incentives. I feel ridiculous to see if I can go lower as 3 dealers are all around that price...

lease would be $288 per month (then I have to decide about fees)

Advice welcome.

Back