What did you pay for your CX-5?

When you list the base/sale price, are you including the destination fee or is it just the price of the car without ANY fees?

hi folks,
Can you let me know on these questions.

1.what does Extended Warranty generally mean ?
is it bumper to bumper or the powertrain warranty.

2. I assume negotiating for around 2K less than MSRP is the way to go ?

3, Is there any reason to only use the dealer where we buy, in case it is ~100 miles away. For regular service / follow up, Can I switch to nearby dearlers.

thanks.

hi folks,
Can you let me know on these questions.

1.what does Extended Warranty generally mean ?
is it bumper to bumper or the powertrain warranty.

2. I assume negotiating for around 2K less than MSRP is the way to go ?

3, Is there any reason to only use the dealer where we buy, in case it is ~100 miles away. For regular service / follow up, Can I switch to nearby dearlers.

thanks.

1) Extended warranty would take effect after Mazda's 3yr/36k expires. It is bumper to bumper. They pitched me a variety of extended warranties, tire warranties, key warranties, scratch warranties, etc, but I declined them all. The dealer I bought from gives a lifetime powertrain warranty though, so I was satisfied with that in addition to Mazda's usual 3-year/36,000-mile bumper to bumper.

2) $2000 off MSRP is a good place to shoot for, although in my research I found many people getting around $1500 off. Also depends on what trimline you are getting. I got $2091 off plus some accessories thrown in on my Touring. I went on Black Friday weekend though, and it was the end of the month...so that was the perfect storm. I beat the lowest price on Truecar too. I suggest you go at the end of the month when they are trying to meet their sales quotas. I also suggest you negotiate via email with the internet sales manager, rather than walking in and talking with a salesman.

3) I say buy at any Mazda dealer within 100 miles, but that's just the distance I was willing to drive in my old car. But do some research, some dealers offer their own powertrain warranties on top of Mazda's. You can get your car serviced at any Mazda dealer, so it really doesn't matter where you buy. Also be wary of when a dealer doesn't have the car you want on their lot and offers to bring one there from another dealer. Often they wont truck it in, they drive it in. I wouldn't want someone else putting all those miles on the car, especially during the break-in period. The car I bought had only 4 miles on, probably straight from Japan to the boat dock. Figure out the trim, color, and options you want and then search the dealer inventory on their websites or cars.com to know where you'll find it. Also look on Amazon or eBay for accessories that you couldn't get thrown in for free. Their prices are cheaper than the dealerships. Good luck!

Last edited:
2016 sonic silver CX-5 FWD Touring with Bose Moonroof
MSRP: $27,225 ($25,215 base + $880 destination fee + $1,130 Bose Moonroof)
Sales Price: $25,134
Loyalty Credit: -$750 (this dealer actually gave $250 in addition to Mazda's $500 loyalty)
Processing Fee: $397 (I tried my best, but they wouldn't wave this even though I paid cash)
Taxes: $1949.12
TN Tags: $106.50
Free Options: Nav SD-card, retractable cargo cover, lifetime powertrain warranty, and also asked for the 2 tie down hooks that are usually missing from the spare tire tray)
Total OTD: $26,836.62 cash

I got a very similar deal to this. I did not get a NAV card or cargo cover thrown in, but I got AWD instead of the bose/moonroof. I paid 26,800 out the door with a solid offer on my trade. This was in Peoria, Illinois. I didn't really haggle much. I bought my last car via the e-mail method and it really does work great. I just decided to go in and haggle on this car and really didn't get to. :( I guess that's good but kind of disappointed at the lack of the hunt.

This thread was super helpful as I was shopping for a CX-5 for my wife over the past couple months, so I want to add my own data point now that we've finally purchased:

2016 CX-5 FWD Touring (Meteor Gray)
MSRP: $25,215 + $880 destination = $26,095

Cash price: $23,150
Document fee: $80
Sales tax (9%) on above: $2090.70
Fees (Electronic registration, License, Title, CA tires, CA smog): $298.75
Auto show rebate: -$250
Total out the door: $25,369.45

The price was negotiated over email, although of course the salesmen had failed to mention that it required Mazda financing, so I assume that there is a financing incentive built into this price. Luckily Mazda was actually able to give us a rate better than the standard rate from my credit union, though not quite as good as the jump-through-hoops rate (i.e., set up direct deposit, put this much on your debit card each month, put this much on your credit card each month...).

Any time you can get OTD including taxes below MSRP in CA seems like a win to me, so I'm pretty happy with the price. And we both love the car so far!

Was that price with any other incentives? If you paid $29141 selling price before your taxes with no incentives, you got a great deal. Even if it includes $500 incentive for financing through Mazda, you still got a good deal...

Sorry for the delay in responding, Yes, that includes 500 incentive. Thank you for assuring me that it was a good deal

Looking to get a 2016 CX-5 GT FWD in Los Angeles, CA.
A dealer said he would honor the pricing of $26,696 + tax/license.
Is that a good deal?

Edmunds has the TMV as $28,124.
Costco program has it $27,946.

Last edited:
No extra options. Just base GT

Also offered an additional $500 cash incentive if I finance with Mazda Capital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I spent some time working with local CT dealers and did not make much progress, so I decided to email out of state dealers on specific cars with what I would pay. It quickly became apparent that most dealers were making offers that were contingent on using Mazda standard financing. Some were hiding that fact and some were open about it. I received one very good offer, but it remained tied to the standard financing. Next step, I started with a new batch of dealerships and sought "aggressive" pricing for buying out of state and stipulated only temporary licensing fees to be added with 0% financing to be used. I did all negotiation via email and the phone occasionally. The deal I accepted only used email. I only had one strong offer and interestingly the strongest offer with standard financing was the weakest offer with 0%.

I pick up a Soul Red all wheel drive, grand touring model with Tech on Tuesday from New York.

M.S.R.P.=$32115
Discount=$2243
Out the Door=$29872
Fees=$110
In CT I will have to pay for registration and sales tax (6.35%)

Last edited:
Dealer in Los Angeles is offering me 2016 GT FWD with Tech:

Sale price: $28,201

OTD: $31,148.04

MSRP: $30,605

Also said I would get $500 rebate if I financed through Mazda.

Good deal?

Last edited:
2016 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD w/ Tech, side rails, all-weather floor / cargo mats & cargo cover:

MSRP - $32,670
Tax, tags, license & doc fee - $1,799
Rebates - $1,500
OTD - $31,449

Sound like a good deal?

Last edited:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT TitFlash w/ Tech Package
MSRP : 31,922
OTD : 30,990
Plus I purchased Mobile Start : 595
Doc Prep : 299
Tax : 1349
Plates : 75
Inspection : 35
Final Price : 33,368

Took a while negotiating but overall I'm happy considering I did not do Mazda Finance and therefor had no incentives I qualified for.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Another thing I wanted to mention is they were really pushing Mazda Finance. You guys are mentioning 500 but they told me they'd take 1250 off if I financed through Mazda. However since I'm in the process of purchasing a house I did not want anymore inquiries. Had all my financing squared before heading there.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Mine is 2016 AWD CX-5 Grand Touring with Tech and iActiveSense. Color: Soul Red. Accessories: rear bumper guard, wheel locks, all weather floor mats, cargo mat. Location: NJ. Price pre-tax, licensing, registration: $31895.00. OTD: $34000. Financed thru Chase Auto Finance @ dealer at 0%, 60 months. $500 down.

Back