What did you pay for your CX-5?

I picked up my 2016 Mazda CX-5 (AWD Grand Touring, Titanium Flash Mica/Parchment Leather) with Tech Package, iActivesense and Roof Rails about a week ago. The final bid I went with was $1332 below invoice before incentives. Invoice was $32405 on the vehicle, and MSRP was $33630.

When negotiating financing, there was another $500 incentive for financing through Mazda, so my actual vehicle sale price was $30573 at 2.1% over 60 months.

I did get a lower bid from a different dealership for a vehicle that didn't come in my preferred color combination, and without roof rails - that offer was $1580 under invoice before incentives.

I also negotiated $0 doc fees as part of the process, so I only paid Tax (9.9% in Seattle) and Licensing for a total OTD price of $33812.
Dealer's Location: Seattle, WA
Purchase Date: 10/31/2015
Other Bids: 1332 under, 1580 under (different configuration than requested), 1000 under, 500 under, 200 under, at invoice.

Last edited:
We started shopping for a new car for my Fiancee. We decided to go with the 2016 CX5 GT with Tech and IActive. The MSRP on the car is $33,555. The best deal we got so far was $32,000 or $300 below invoice ($1500 below MSRP). Seems like people are getting better deals on here. Would I be able to get a better deal going through the Costco program since we are members ?

More data points....

I sold my truck and drove over to Portland to deliver it to its new owner as he was flying in. So, I was in a bind to buy a new car this weekend to drive home. I could have flown home or driven back without purchasing with my wife but the deals in PDX are better than the 1 dealer options here in my town.

When I laid down the situation I was offered $24,345 + DMV (about $370 in Oregon) for a Touring with no options. MSRP was $27,345. The deal only had a $500 Loyalty and what I imagine was only $2500 dealer discount. So it still looks like $3K off MSRP is possible at least in the Pacific Northwest Region if you have loyalty. I brought my own preapproved financing. Perhaps there's another $500+ in there if you take the standard financing and then pay it off in 3 months. A bit of legwork but I don't think I could have done much better than that on a CX-5 Touring.

We ended up buying a closeout 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. It just fit our needs better and I found the drive to be significantly quieter with more positive feeling braking. Didn't hurt that we were able to get almost $8K off MSRP on that vehicle either!

Good luck to all.

We started shopping for a new car for my Fiancee. We decided to go with the 2016 CX5 GT with Tech and IActive. The MSRP on the car is $33,555. The best deal we got so far was $32,000 or $300 below invoice ($1500 below MSRP). Seems like people are getting better deals on here. Would I be able to get a better deal going through the Costco program since we are members ?

I used the approach outlined by Fighting Chance to get my deal. For $45, it's a pretty sound investment. Keep in mind, this approach requires some work from you - it's not a fire-and-forget sort of thing. If you do it right, it takes several hours over the course of about 3 weekdays, but considering that I could have saved more than $1200 off of your best bid if I was flexible about color (and keep in mind, I didn't qualify for Mazda Loyalty), I'd consider the ~4 hours I spent well worth my time.

If you want something more hands-off, or you have absolutely no time to do negotiation on your own, you could also try Car Bargains - they charge $250 and will collect bids for you.

I am in Southern California. I have an offer of $34300 OTD for 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech Package, ActiveSense Package, Roof rails, trailer hitch. The MSRP is $33,655.
Need advice on is this good enough to pull the plug or I should wait for Thanksgiving weekend.

I am in Southern California. I have an offer of $34300 OTD for 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech Package, ActiveSense Package, Roof rails, trailer hitch. The MSRP is $33,655.
Need advice on is this good enough to pull the plug or I should wait for Thanksgiving weekend.

The invoice price on that setup (assuming that it isn't one of the premium colors) would be $32745. Depending on the sales tax and licensing cost in your area/at the particular dealership, that could be a solid deal. My back of the napkin math says that even if you're buying in Ventura County (7.5% sales tax), and without knowing the licensing cost, you could be near $900 below invoice, which is nothing to sneeze at - and if you're in Los Angeles County, it might be more like $1700. That said, it's really hard to know what your best possible price would be - how many dealerships have you contacted?

You really should ask what the vehicle sales price is, given the $34300 OTD. That makes it easier to compare. It's also hard to say how great a deal it is without understanding what incentives are included in your OTD price. If you're getting $2000 in incentives, then you might actually be buying the car at close to invoice, and the incentives are driving the OTD down a ton.

I think I may have made a deal. Closest dealer is an hour away. Emailed all three with what I wanted. A 2016 Touring model with no moonroof. One came back at $25.1. The other at $28k with a $3k protection package that "they install on all the cars they sell." Window tint all around, wheel locks, paint protection, and nitrogen filled tired. Emailed $28k back and told him he was nuts and gave the price the other gave. They were my preferred dealer and hoped he would come back to reality. Came back and said they would earn the business. After numerous email settled at $25k OTD on a red one with a cargo cover. I don't qualify for any incentive but am financing with Mazda. Told him add the $200 cargo cover and we had a deal. Good deal?

The invoice price on that setup (assuming that it isn't one of the premium colors) would be $32745. Depending on the sales tax and licensing cost in your area/at the particular dealership, that could be a solid deal. My back of the napkin math says that even if you're buying in Ventura County (7.5% sales tax), and without knowing the licensing cost, you could be near $900 below invoice, which is nothing to sneeze at - and if you're in Los Angeles County, it might be more like $1700. That said, it's really hard to know what your best possible price would be - how many dealerships have you contacted?

You really should ask what the vehicle sales price is, given the $34300 OTD. That makes it easier to compare. It's also hard to say how great a deal it is without understanding what incentives are included in your OTD price. If you're getting $2000 in incentives, then you might actually be buying the car at close to invoice, and the incentives are driving the OTD down a ton.

The price does include $300 premium paint charge. vehicle sale price is 31,445.00. This includes incentive for financing with Mazda (not sure how much).

We bought a '16 Touring in Soul Red yesterday, as a graduation present (college, graduating after 7 semesters) for our daughter.

No trade in.

Dealer added some nicely done window tint.

With taxes, fees, window tint,... TOTAL cost was just under 26k, which is a few hundred under the total MSRP. (Houston, TX area)

Last edited:
So, if the MSRP is $31,855, then what is a good selling price? Never mind subtracting the incentives and adding tax and fees, just the selling price alone...

So, if the MSRP is $31,855, then what is a good selling price? Never mind subtracting the incentives and adding tax and fees, just the selling price alone...

I guess this MSRP is for the 2016 GT with tech pack.

So here is the deal we are getting with the Costco Auto Program:
MSRP: $33,555
Invoice: $32,363
Costco Member Discount: -$800
Chase Auto Finance Rebate: -$500
Chase Auto Finance College Grad: -$250
Total: $30,813

The price does include $300 premium paint charge. vehicle sale price is 31,445.00. This includes incentive for financing with Mazda (not sure how much).

The financing incentive is $500 - or at least, it was at the end of last month. That puts your non-adjusted vehicle sale price at $31955, and means you're about $1057 below invoice. That's certainly a solid price, and in my (admittedly non-expert) opinion, about as good as I'd expect without doing more substantial work to drive the price down. If you've got a couple of really motivated dealerships that are willing to go into a bidding war, you might be able to get a lower price - but there are no guarantees there.

I'm thinking about getting a new 2016 CX-5 FWD Automatic Sport in Meteor Gray Mica with backup camera. I've been offered a $22,900 OTD price (fees + tax) including a $1,500 trade allowance on my 2004 Mazda3, USAA discount, and $500 Mazda loyalty discount. This looks like a great deal to me, but as a first-time car buyer, it's a bit difficult to pull the trigger.

I'm also considering a used 2016 CX-5 FWD Touring in Meteor Gray Mica. I haven't discussed a deal with the dealership yet, but it's currently listed at $22,500. It has 15,000 miles on it.

As CX-5 owners, would you lean towards the new Sport or the used Touring?

Last edited:
I'm thinking about getting a new 2016 CX-5 FWD Automatic Sport in Meteor Gray Mica with backup camera. I've been offered a $22,900 OTD price (fees + tax) including a $1,500 trade allowance on my 2004 Mazda3, USAA discount, and $500 Mazda loyalty discount. This looks like a great deal to me, but as a first-time car buyer, it's a bit difficult to pull the trigger.

I'm also considering a used 2016 CX-5 FWD Touring in Meteor Gray Mica. I haven't discussed a deal with the dealership yet, but it's currently listed at $22,500. It has 15,000 miles on it.

As CX-5 owners, would you lean towards the new Sport or the used Touring?

I would get the used Touring. Better equipment but most importantly the better motor. The 2.0 is plain anemic. Get the Touring with the 2.5. I'm paying $25k OTD for a new Touring later today. Wait until the end of the month when they are trying to meet quota and you may be able to get an even better deal on a new one.

I would get the used Touring. Better equipment but most importantly the better motor. The 2.0 is plain anemic. Get the Touring with the 2.5. I'm paying $25k OTD for a new Touring later today. Wait until the end of the month when they are trying to meet quota and you may be able to get an even better deal on a new one.

I can get the used Touring with 15,000 miles on it for $23.1K out the door vs. a new Sport for $22.9K. I'm going to try to make a decision over the weekend.

I'd really appreciate any input from CX-5 owners! I'm 50/50 on the used Touring and new Sport right now.

Last edited:
I think I may have made a deal. Closest dealer is an hour away. Emailed all three with what I wanted. A 2016 Touring model with no moonroof. One came back at $25.1. The other at $28k with a $3k protection package that "they install on all the cars they sell." Window tint all around, wheel locks, paint protection, and nitrogen filled tired. Emailed $28k back and told him he was nuts and gave the price the other gave. They were my preferred dealer and hoped he would come back to reality. Came back and said they would earn the business. After numerous email settled at $25k OTD on a red one with a cargo cover. I don't qualify for any incentive but am financing with Mazda. Told him add the $200 cargo cover and we had a deal. Good deal?

Is that AWD? If so, that's insane. If FWD, that's still a pretty good deal.

I can get the used Touring with 15,000 miles on it for $23.1K out the door vs. a new Sport for $22.9K. I'm going to try to make a decision over the weekend.

I'd really appreciate any input from CX-5 owners! I'm 50/50 on the used Touring and new Sport right now.
For 2015-2016 models, If the SPORT is an AUTOMATIC, then it will have the larger 2.5L motor. Only the Manual trans is 2.0L.

Last edited:
Is that AWD? If so, that's insane. If FWD, that's still a pretty good deal.

It was FWD and I bought it yesterday. Deal went as expected with no games. $25k OTD. Windows were tinted and cargo cover installed. (cargo cover is really nice, much better than anything I have had before. Stays down and lifts with the gate so you don't have to manually roll and unroll it to load cargo, pretty slick.) Opted for gap insurance but other than that no extra fees or games.

Back