What did you pay for your CX-5?

Driving as hard a bargain as you can is not going to put your dealer out of business and, generally speaking, will have no effect on your after sales service. These are big boys; they can take care of themselves. Besides, there are all manner of monetary incentives they are privy to which the consumer can only quess at.

Yes agreed^, plenty of profit in invoice price alone, using that as a common benchmark for desirable vehicles such as the CX-5. No need to throw them $75 bones because that's not going to take a viable dealership over/under the profitability edge.

Last edited:
There aren't any 2014's within 200 miles of me that match what I am likely going to get. I want AWD, GT w/Tech -- Edmunds puts "True Market Value" at $30,727. Invoice is $30,280 and MSRP is $31,290.

Best price I have found on the 2013 AWD GT w/Tech (listed price, no haggling) is $30,515. There are only 2 within 200 miles of me according to a cars.com search that have the color I want (Stormy Blue). My concern is that when I am ready to buy, if the exact vehicle I want isn't common the dealers are going to be harder to budge.

sxa: There's more than a hint of desperation in your post. Don't panic; be patient. Market conditions can change overnight (with the next boatload of Mazdas docking in Galveston!). When I was searching for just the right model/color in October and finding virtually nothing in Calif., Texas dealerships were crawling with CX-5s. A month later, the same was true in Calif.

My concern is that when I am ready to buy, if the exact vehicle I want isn't common the dealers are going to be harder to budge.

Don't worry, be happy...

Dealers have to move cars. The myth is that you get your best deal on a vehicle that's on a dealers lot. It's only the best deal for a dealer since he is motivated to move those cars because it costs them every month that they sit. You can still get a good deal on an ordered vehicle because that costs the dealer nothing. You just have to be firm and tell the dealer what you want and not let him sell you what he has.

Certainly didn't mean to sound desperate, it will be awhile before I buy. I just have never bought a brand new vehicle before, so I don't have much experience with working to get the best price and I suppose I have fallen for the myth that an ordered vehicle would be harder to get a good deal on. I will keep my eye on this thread though to see what people are getting / what people are seeing and at last get somewhat of an idea.

I just have never bought a brand new vehicle before, so I don't have much experience with working to get the best price

At least you're trying to do the right thing and are seeking advice from the forum!

So I am getting a 2013 AWD black GT cx5 with Bose and tech tomorrow. Msrp is 30710. I got them down to 28888 which equates to ~31220 out the door. I talked with the dealer on the phone today and said I won't pay above 31000 out the door and offered 30650. They said that could be done. So I'm going in tomorrow at 1000 to get this done!! I feel like I am getting a great deal! Thoughts?

SXA, most dealers will dealer trade for a vehicle. The dealership that I am working with got a shipment in yesterday but not the colors I want so they said if I want to make a deal they will get exactly what I want at the price they quoted originally.

So I am getting a 2013 AWD black GT cx5 with Bose and tech tomorrow. Msrp is 30710. I got them down to 28888 which equates to ~31220 out the door. I talked with the dealer on the phone today and said I won't pay above 31000 out the door and offered 30650. They said that could be done. So I'm going in tomorrow at 1000 to get this done!! I feel like I am getting a great deal! Thoughts?

For the same exact options and basically same CX-5 I paid $32,758 OTD so based on that heck yeah it's a good deal! take it! but when I got mine there was a "shortage" on GT's :D all the way back in June 2012.

So I made the purchase today, I got them to go 28688 sales price, plus 7% sales tax, 337 doc fee and ~50 dollars for tag, title, and license. It ended up being 31200ish. Sorry, I don't have the exact number on me. He would not budge to get below 31000, and my fiance was getting restless and really liked this car, so ended up going a little over 31000. At least I got 1200 below invoice.

Last edited:
That is a good deal but it is more like $400 below invoice considering the doc fee unless my math is off.

I initially said this was a great deal thinking it was a 2014. I have since deleted my posts, now that I realized it is a 2013. Still it is certainly a better price than those who purchased 6 months ago. Edmunds has a invoice price of 29,454. for a 2013 GT-AWD w/tech. The Bose you mentioned should be included with the GT trim level. So as jtl mentioned above this is around 400. below invoice if you take the doc fee into consideration. However, the doc fee is usually not used in this calculation unless they are trying to charge you something outrageous to bump up the price. $337. sounds normal. So it's about $700 below invoice. A fair deal for a 2013 considering the 2014s are out.
Something to consider when purchasing an outgoing year: Someday when you sell or trade it's going to fetch very roughly about $1000. less than a 2014 sold on the same day. Unless you keep it a long, long time.

Last edited:
I initially said this was a great deal thinking it was a 2014. I have since deleted my posts, now that I realized it is a 2013. Still it is certainly a better price than those who purchased 6 months ago. Edmunds has a invoice price of 29,454. for a 2013 GT-AWD w/tech. The Bose you mentioned should be included with the GT trim level. So as jtl mentioned above this is around 400. below invoice if you take the doc fee into consideration. However, the doc fee is usually not used in this calculation unless they are trying to charge you something outrageous to bump up the price. $337. sounds normal. So it's about $700 below invoice. A fair deal for a 2013 considering the 2014s are out.
Something to consider when purchasing an outgoing year: Someday when you sell or trade it's going to fetch very roughly about $1000. less than a 2014 sold on the same day. Unless you keep it a long, long time.
Maybe $337 doc fee is normal in your neck of the woods. In Calif. $75-$80 is the norm.

Maybe $337 doc fee is normal in your neck of the woods. In Calif. $75-$80 is the norm.

Not a really big difference when we are using ball park numbers. If we use your $80., and assume the remaining 257. just padded the price, his cost was about $450 under invoice instead of $700. My last Subaru purchase this past summer in NJ charged $250 doc fee which is higher than I would like but still not outrageous.
If you go back through the posts in this thread you will see some outrageous doc fees like the post below:
Yeah...unfortunately, dealer fees (aka 'document fees") in GA are not regulated/capped the way they are in many other states. I got quotes for the CX-5 from 6 different dealers (all via email) and the standard dealer fee is $600 in the Atlanta area. One dealer dropped the dealer fee to $400, but had a much higher sale price for the vehicle.

Last edited:

You need to consider the doc fee to calculate the invoice +/- price because it is nothing more than dealer profit since he already had a fee for title transfer and sales tax. If I have it correct the invoice is $29454 and the purchase price was $28688 plus the doc fee of $337 for a total of $29025. That is $429 under invoice. Anytime a dealer charges anything for a doc fee in addition to charging for actual out of pocket costs like taxes and transfer it becomes profit. The amount may vary from state to state or dealer to dealer but it is still profit. My purchase had a $599 dealer services fee plus a title transfer fee of $150 and that was in addition to the actual registration fee/tag transfer and sales taxes, so $749 of profit items. I didn't care how the wrote the deal, I just backed it out and looked at invoice vs what I paid before taxes and actual transfer fees to the state. I cannot comment on whether or not it is a good deal because that is in the eyes of the buyer but it is better than my $100+ under invoice for my 2014 but I did get a couple of oil changes included which probably worth another $100. I was ok with anything around actual invoice for a 2014.

Last edited:
The 2014 for $100 below invoice is a steal compared to $429 below invoice for a 2013. Much more than $329. will be coming back to you whenever you retire the car based on the model year price difference at that time.

Back