What did you pay for your CX-5?

2016 CX-5 GT, White, FWD w/ Technology Pack and Wheel Locks
$30,860 MSRP
$27,844 before TTL
Any additional info on this one? Dealer location? That sounds like an awesome price. I don't think there's been reports of GT FWD w/ Tech for under 28k!

2016 cx5 GT in black with tech and i-activsense plus roof rails. (Socal)
30643 + ttl
Msrp was 32320

Edit: FWD

Last edited:
Just picked up a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD meteor Grey with tech on I-activsense. MSRP sticker price was $33,355 which includes destination, but the paperwork states MSRP as $35,350, I don't know why the difference. Anyhow, we qualified for S-plan pricing, which is invoice, because of my wife's job. Invoice (S-plan) was $32,205. Mazda allows any discounts and rebates in conjunction with S-plan. The dealer was advertising discounts of $2000 but their website didn't say what the discounts were. Come to find out $1500 of it was, $1000 for a Kia Trade in, which we didn't have, and $500 military appreciation. The other $500 was for mazda loyalty, I did drive a 2003 Protege5. They only wanted to give $1500 on my protege5 for trade in and I told them no deal. They basically said they would give us discounts if we, essentially, gave them the Protege5, which was ludicrous. I told them that I was willing to wait until there were deals and discounts that I was eligible for and got up to walk out. At the front door the Manager stop us and asked what it would take to get us to drive away in a car that day and I told him the additional $1500 in discounts that we didn't qualify for. I said I could wait a month and see what deals Mazda offered around Memorial Day. He said he was more concerned with moving units then the final price and agreed to give us the additional $1500 in discounts.

So all told with out TTL we paid $2000 below invoice or $30,205! It was a battle to say the least and the whole process had us at the dealership nearly 6.5 hours! The sales guy keep saying how tough I was and that we really beat them up on the price. The finance guy wasn't much better, took for ever to finally sit down with him and then he handed us a page and said sign on the bottom without even discussing the terms. Turns out he was starting with 5% for 72months. We got it down to 2.29% for 60 months.

All in all we are happy with the car and think we got a good deal.

Wife and I have ordered our 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech and iActivesense in Crystal White Pearl w/ Black Interior. MSRP is $33,355. Got the price down to $31,138. Total of $2,217 off of MSRP. I think it's at least a $1,000 under Invoice too. Not too shabby, I think, especially since they don't even have the car on their lot.

The trick here is to get quotes from a ton of dealerships online and basically pit them all against each other to earn your business. We were able to get this deal before we even set foot on a dealership lot. Plus we negotiated our trade-in to get an extra $500 over KBB value too.

It's still gonna be about a month until we get our CX-5, but we are excited.

Just picked up a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD meteor Grey with tech on I-activsense. MSRP sticker price was $33,355 which includes destination, but the paperwork states MSRP as $35,350, I don't know why the difference.
$33,355 is Mazda official MSRP listed on window sticker. $35,350 has to be the dealer price with dealer add-ons. Do you have any dealer installed options?

So all told with out TTL we paid $2000 below invoice or $30,205!
That's $3150 below MSRP and it's the best price I've ever seen not considering the trade-in and dealer installed options! Congratulations! 6.5 hours of negotiation? Worth it! (drinks)

Wife and I have ordered our 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech and iActivesense in Crystal White Pearl w/ Black Interior. MSRP is $33,355. Got the price down to $31,138. Total of $2,217 off of MSRP. I think it's at least a $1,000 under Invoice too. Not too shabby, I think, especially since they don't even have the car on their lot.

The trick here is to get quotes from a ton of dealerships online and basically pit them all against each other to earn your business. We were able to get this deal before we even set foot on a dealership lot. Plus we negotiated our trade-in to get an extra $500 over KBB value too.

It's still gonna be about a month until we get our CX-5, but we are excited.
Yeah we did the same thing ordered a CX-5 we wanted back in February. Although the car was already on the water on the way to LA, hence we could get VIN for Presidents Day incentive, it still took about three weeks to get to the dealership. Actually if we order a car instead of getting one from the dealer's lot, we'll get less discount. Some dealers even hesitated to do it.

BTW, you actually got $2,417 off from MSRP which supposed to be $33,555 as your Crystal White Pearl paint costs $200 extra! Although previous Ride92 had even better deal at $3,150 below MSRP, but he got his from dealer's lot and didn't trade his P5 in as the trade-in value was too low. You got excellent trade-in value and your deal is much better than mine! Congrats!

Purchased a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with tech, side rails, and bumper guard a couple days ago in the Tacoma area. MSRP was $32,230 (not including a $2k markup). Ended up having local dealer match lowest offer from a dealer in OR for $30,230 ($29,730 + ttl with loyalty rebate). It was a very smooth purchase and I am extremely happy with my new whip.

Yeah we did the same thing ordered a CX-5 we wanted back in February. Although the car was already on the water on the way to LA, hence we could get VIN for Presidents Day incentive, it still took about three weeks to get to the dealership. Actually if we order a car instead of getting one from the dealer's lot, we'll get less discount. Some dealers even hesitated to do it.

BTW, you actually got $2,417 off from MSRP which supposed to be $33,555 as your Crystal White Pearl paint costs $200 extra! Although previous Ride92 had even better deal at $3,150 below MSRP, but he got his from dealer's lot and didn't trade his P5 in as the trade-in value was too low. You got excellent trade-in value and your deal is much better than mine! Congrats!

Thanks. Yeah, we got a great deal on the trade-in considering it was in 2 previous accidents and still had a few scrapes on the car that had never been fixed. I'm happy with my deal since we got at least $500 more for our car than what it was truly worth and I spent less than 10 minutes in the dealership working my deal. That's worth my time to not spend 6.5 hours there like Ride92 did.

2016 CX-5 GT, White, FWD w/ Technology Pack and Wheel Locks
$30,860 MSRP
$27,844 before TTL
Any additional info on this one? Dealer location? That sounds like an awesome price. I don't think there's been reports of GT FWD w/ Tech for under 28k!
I reported in April that a friend of mine paid $27,500 before TTL for a GT FWD with Tech Package including $500 Dallas Auto Show Bonus and $500 Royalty Cash.

Just purchased 2016 CX-5 Touring AWD w/Tech package and wheel locks -Blue Reflex. MSRP 30155. Dealer discounted 1445. I used 500 loyalty for total discount of 1945. Doc fees were $489. Got several dealers to quote similar car. Got MSRP quote and some quotes discounting 400-800 (without my loyalty). Doc fees were all over the place. Low was $199. High was $799! Don't forget to consider doc fees in your negotiations.

If you want to pay full MSRP yourself, go ahead. Make the dealers boat payment for him. The typcial dealership does just fine selling for a few bucks over invoice. There are a number of holdbacks and volume incentives that make up the difference so they stay profitable.

Any brand new model is going to be in demand and some dealers will stick with MSRP or even add a premium if they can get away with it. I stay away from those dealers. Wait a few months for the "gotta have right now" crowd to get theirs and you'll be able to land exactly the CX5 of your dreams for a lot less than MSRP. Patience.

+1

Very soon I will, for the first time, experience price negotiations over the Internet. I plan to email several different dealerships to try and get the best OTD price, and make my purchase during the Memorial Day Weekend. I have a timing question: How long do Internet negotiations typically take? If I want to buy on a Saturday, do I begin negotiations on the Monday or Tuesday before? I am a mere "babe in the woods" on this so any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Very soon I will, for the first time, experience price negotiations over the Internet. I plan to email several different dealerships to try and get the best OTD price, and make my purchase during the Memorial Day Weekend. I have a timing question: How long do Internet negotiations typically take? If I want to buy on a Saturday, do I begin negotiations on the Monday or Tuesday before? I am a mere "babe in the woods" on this so any advice is much appreciated.

Starting a week in advance is a good idea. Dealers will take around 24 hours to get back to you at the most. I'm basically doing this right now. I emailed 13 dealers and only 8 replied. Of those one wanted me to come in and I replied and ask for a bid, crickets. Another just sent an email saying it was XXX per month, out (don't ever buy on price per month).

Once you have the lowest price in hand, email it to all the dealer that initially offered you a bid and ask them to beat your lowest quoted price. Take the lowest bid from the second round and go to your dealer of choice and ask them to beat it for a quick sale.

Starting a week in advance is a good idea. Dealers will take around 24 hours to get back to you at the most. I'm basically doing this right now. I emailed 13 dealers and only 8 replied. Of those one wanted me to come in and I replied and ask for a bid, crickets. Another just sent an email saying it was XXX per month, out (don't ever buy on price per month).

Once you have the lowest price in hand, email it to all the dealer that initially offered you a bid and ask them to beat your lowest quoted price. Take the lowest bid from the second round and go to your dealer of choice and ask them to beat it for a quick sale.

Thank you for this advice. I am surprised that several dealerships wouldn't respond to you at all. But at least I know now that some dealers won't negotiate online. Thanks again inlinev.

Thank you for this advice. I am surprised that several dealerships wouldn't respond to you at all. But at least I know now that some dealers won't negotiate online. Thanks again inlinev.

It's amazed me over the years, some dealers just don't seem to want to deal with you. If you don't pay their price, they won't haggle it down any. The only one I know that got away with that is Saturn's no haggle sales practice.

I think to get a good price you need time and the willingness to walk away.

Use something like truecar.com to figure out the most you should pay, and KBB.com to determine the least you should get for your trade. If the dealer's numbers don't meet those numbers, then walk.

Montrose Mazda even pulled the old trick of keeping my trade-in car keys, so I couldn't leave. But, I guess the up side to that is, you know as long as they haven't given me my keys back, the I still have them on the hook also. If the dealer freely gives you back your keys, they're basically saying, go ahead and leave, you aren't worth our trouble.

Last edited:
Use something like truecar.com to figure out the most you should pay, and KBB.com to determine the least you should get for your trade. If the dealer's numbers don't meet those numbers, then walk.

Be wary of truecar. According to truecar the fair selling price of a 2016 CX-5 GT FWD w/tech in white is 30500. I ended up getting this for 28900.

Last edited:
Be wary of truecar. According to truecar the fair selling price of a 2016 CX-5 GT FWD w/tech in white is 30500. I ended up getting this for 28900.

Yep, I agree. If TrueCar is telling me what others have paid for the particular model I'm after, then I want to pay LESS than that. That become my high ball. Why would I pay more than others have paid?!?!?!

Back