What did you pay for your CX-5?

That bxpretzel guy seems to say it if he thinks you got ripped off. I should never come to the forums, because no matter how much research I did, no matter how many dealers I beat up for price, no matter how great a deal I got, someone, in fact several people, ALWAYS, do better by thousands of dollars. It's so infuriating, I want more than anything to have the absolute BEST price. Then i come here to find out I was a total victim.

The only thing I can think is most people just traded in their car, and that seems to be rarely mentioned. The dealer will always rape you on the trade-in, if you're willing to do a little extra work you can sell it yourself, even if it's just to a salvage yard.

I do think the poster I was responding to got ripped off, in interest. That is a crazy high interest rate for a new vehicle, IMHO/IME.

I do think the poster I was responding to got ripped off, in interest. That is a crazy high interest rate for a new vehicle, IMHO/IME.

Yeah, and you thought I got ripped off paying cash for my 2014 Touring/Tech/FWD back in October. I should just avoid the forums altogether. Everyone's getting 36 mpg city, paying $20,000 for brand new loaded GT AWD Tech CX-5s, and has the dealer sending them fresh-brewed Starbucks for a month. Plus maybe they got $8000 in trade for their 200K mile 2001 Protege. It's like this magical fairy land of incredible deals and moonbeams and stardust that I've somehow missed out on.

Yeah, and you thought I got ripped off paying cash for my 2014 Touring/Tech/FWD back in October. I should just avoid the forums altogether. Everyone's getting 36 mpg city, paying $20,000 for brand new loaded GT AWD Tech CX-5s, and has the dealer sending them fresh-brewed Starbucks for a month. Plus maybe they got $8000 in trade for their 200K mile 2001 Protege. It's like this magical fairy land of incredible deals and moonbeams and stardust that I've somehow missed out on.

Well, I don't know why anyone would pay cash for something when they can get 0% interest. Better to invest that cash and get a return on it.

Also, trading in is always a ripoff. I sold my car privately for $3,250 more than Carmax or the dealer would have given me.

I assure you I'm not in fairy land.

Did you mean a 2015? Are the 2016's already out?(confused)(confused)
By the way the old "admits a mistake" line from the sales manager smells like a bait n' switch to me.

No it is definitely a 2016 and yes they are at the dealerships but sitting on the back lots for now. And yes it definitely smells fishy. What did I do to deserve getting this car severely discounted other than receive a false quote online? We will find out this afternoon.

Well, I don't know why anyone would pay cash for something when they can get 0% interest. Better to invest that cash and get a return on it.

Also, trading in is always a ripoff. I sold my car privately for $3,250 more than Carmax or the dealer would have given me.

I assure you I'm not in fairy land.
Because no one ever actually does invest the cash they would have (should have) just paid for the car outright. Everyone thinks they will, but then comes up with other excuses why they can't put $20,000 away for retirement. Mostly, they never had the $20,000 to begin with, which means they had no business taking out a $20,000 (or more) loan, even at 0% interest. There is no such thing as free money. The dealer always finds a way to take it out of your hide.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/0-car-loans.aspx
http://www.autotrader.com/research/...-car-whats-the-catch-with-0-percent-loans.jsp

Because no one ever actually does invest the cash they would have (should have) just paid for the car outright. Everyone thinks they will, but then comes up with other excuses why they can't put $20,000 away for retirement. Mostly, they never had the $20,000 to begin with, which means they had no business taking out a $20,000 (or more) loan, even at 0% interest. There is no such thing as free money. The dealer always finds a way to take it out of your hide.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/0-car-loans.aspx
http://www.autotrader.com/research/...-car-whats-the-catch-with-0-percent-loans.jsp

Well, though I would have had to finance a new car regardless, I jumped at the opportunity when I saw Mazda was offering 0% financing. If they hadn't have offered that, I would be in a slightly used car (possibly a CX-5, but who knows?) instead at probably 3-4% interest.

Because of the interest I am saving, I invest an extra $100/month into my brokerage account. So I guess I'm an outlier. No, I don't have an extra $20k to invest, but I'm only 23 and I don't think that's a bad thing.

I even calculated what the interest would be over the life of the loan to compare it to the $500 incentive that Mazda would have given me on the purchase to take a normal interest (~3%) loan. It was more than $500, so I'm saving there too.

I negotiated before even talking about financing or payment. After we agreed on a final price, they presented me with numbers for the 0% and for the normal interest loan. It's not like I paid more for the car because of the 0% loan. I mean, I could have put the entire car on one of my credit cards if I needed to, so they didn't need to know how I was paying until after we agreed on a price.

I don't want to brag or anything, but in addition to getting a good price on my CX-5, I got $6900 from the other drivers insurance for my 160k mile protege 5 :)

A lot of the amazing deals you see on here are from other parts of the country. If you go on true car and look up the price offered in CA vs, say Dallas Texas you'll see that the same car goes for 1000 less in Texas than in CA.
On top of that, comparing out the door pricing from other states/counties is completely useless because of different tax rates.

I don't want to brag or anything, but in addition to getting a good price on my CX-5, I got $6900 from the other drivers insurance for my 160k mile protege 5 :)

A lot of the amazing deals you see on here are from other parts of the country. If you go on true car and look up the price offered in CA vs, say Dallas Texas you'll see that the same car goes for 1000 less in Texas than in CA.
On top of that, comparing out the door pricing from other states/counties is completely useless because of different tax rates.
I always exclude the sales tax when I'm calculating price. Just feel like the more I read here, the more I know I got ripped off. Badly. :(

I will say this: If you are going to post your price, you should include the following info:

Year
If Used, how many miles
CPO or not
Trim Level (Sport/Touring/GT)
Major option packages (Bose/Moonroof & Tech)
AWD or FWD
Trade-in Y/N if Y how much did they give you
Finance, Lease, or Cash

The other minor options should be included too, like wheel locks, cargo net etc.

TIA.

Hello everybody, and thank you all for creating this great forum. I was thinking of making this a new topic, but let it be here for now.

I've been in the market for a CX-5 Touring since about three weeks, but while considering different options (lease, buy, pre-owned) and after a couple of visits to different dealerships... along comes the 2016 CX-5. Last week we saw one still wrapped in plastic at the dealership, and today the dealer told me they've got a few more.
So I am thinking now, should I go 2016 CX-5 Sport vs 2015 Touring?

Based on the communication with the rep and on the specs and pricing just announced, current prices come higher for the '16 Sport. Here's the skinny:

2015 Touring AWD AT
$24,500 (that's the price the rep came to, after some negotiation and some rebates, he said. Grey model. They had one red in the lot too which we liked better, but that would be over $25k)

vs

2016 Sport AWD
$24,445 (MSRP)
$820 destination fee
$400 rear camera package w/ Mazda Connect (the new infotainment system)
-----
$25,665

No rebates/incentives here (yet)

With the same engine and camera added to the '16 Sport, there is no much difference left in terms of capability and performance between the two models Sport '16 and Touring '15 (fog lights - $350 don't seem relevant to me, so I chose not to include).

Considerations:
1)Resale value: I drive approx $15,000 miles per year and plan to replace the car in 1-2 year (trade-in).
2)Improvements and form factor: how much better the "updated" AWD and interior are in the '16 models compared to the '15?
3)Infotainment system: how much better and useful the 7" Mazda Connect is compared to the 5.8" screen from Touring '15? Here, as a particular note, the '16 appears still doesn't have Apple Carplay?
4)Financing: at least half of my cost would be financed, either through Mazda or through my bank, I don't see any big difference here.

I appreciate any advice and opinion.

Last edited:

I kind of get the same vibe from some on here. I shopped around at both dealers and brokers, and negotiated for hours to get what seemed like the best possible deal I could get. I ended up with a purchase price of $29,000 and lease price of $329/month for a 2015 Grand Touring w/Tech Package. Even though some seem to have gotten theirs for thousands less, this was the absolute best deal I could get in Denver. In other parts of the country, people may be able to get a better deal, but I'm pretty content with the deal I got.

At this point, just enjoy your awesome vehicle and be comfortable that you got the best deal you were able to get at the time. If some people pay less, more power to them. If some people think you should have financed instead of paying cash, that's their deal. Paying cash worked best for you in your situation. That's all that matters.

These are the prices I paid for a new '2015 CX-5 Touring AWD', purchased on Feb 2.:

MSRP: $26,215

Chrystal White Pearl Paint Charge: $200
Delivery Processing and Handling Fee: $880

Total MSRP: $27,295

Doc. Fee: $450
Vehicle Theft Registration: $189
Sales Tax: $2,158
Misc. Fees: $28
Manufacturer's Rebate: <$1,750> credit

Total Cost of Vehicle: $28,370

So essentially, the dealer added on about $1,750 in typical dealer type add-ons, and then subtracted them out via a $1,750 rebate. So I basically got the car for the base MSRP ($26,215) plus the sales tax ($2,158). Overall, I'm OK with the deal.

Last edited:
I kind of get the same vibe from some on here. I shopped around at both dealers and brokers, and negotiated for hours to get what seemed like the best possible deal I could get. I ended up with a purchase price of $29,000 and lease price of $329/month for a 2015 Grand Touring w/Tech Package. Even though some seem to have gotten theirs for thousands less, this was the absolute best deal I could get in Denver. In other parts of the country, people may be able to get a better deal, but I'm pretty content with the deal I got.

At this point, just enjoy your awesome vehicle and be comfortable that you got the best deal you were able to get at the time. If some people pay less, more power to them. If some people think you should have financed instead of paying cash, that's their deal. Paying cash worked best for you in your situation. That's all that matters.

I can't enjoy it knowing someone out there got a better deal than me. I have a lot of pride wrapped up in my knowledge and ability to beat the stealership like a rented mule in order to pay less than anyone else. I research my stuff more than anyone I know, don't make any of the obvious stupid blunders that most people do when they buy a new car, and yet I check the forums and basically everyone else tells me I got ripped off and brags how they easily got some incredible deal, that if I had tried to take that to my dealer, he would have (and did) laugh me out of the showroom.

Oddly, these amazing deals only seem to happen in here in forum land... so I try to make myself feel better by accusing them of lying, but it's like "Nope, I'm just a master negotiator! Lol!"

I can't enjoy it knowing someone out there got a better deal than me. I have a lot of pride wrapped up in my knowledge and ability to beat the stealership like a rented mule in order to pay less than anyone else. I research my stuff more than anyone I know, don't make any of the obvious stupid blunders that most people do when they buy a new car, and yet I check the forums and basically everyone else tells me I got ripped off and brags how they easily got some incredible deal, that if I had tried to take that to my dealer, he would have (and did) laugh me out of the showroom.

Oddly, these amazing deals only seem to happen in here in forum land... so I try to make myself feel better by accusing them of lying, but it's like "Nope, I'm just a master negotiator! Lol!"

I really don't put faith into many posted purchase prices as I never seem to get them either. I usually use sources like KBB or Edmunds for their fair market value. If I get within that, I'm ok with it.

There will always be someone who paid more then you and someone who paid less.

Hello everybody, and thank you all for creating this great forum. I was thinking of making this a new topic, but let it be here for now.

I've been in the market for a CX-5 Touring since about three weeks, but while considering different options (lease, buy, pre-owned) and after a couple of visits to different dealerships... along comes the 2016 CX-5. Last week we saw one still wrapped in plastic at the dealership, and today the dealer told me they've got a few more.
So I am thinking now, should I go 2016 CX-5 Sport vs 2015 Touring?

Based on the communication with the rep and on the specs and pricing just announced, current prices come higher for the '16 Sport. Here's the skinny:

2015 Touring AWD AT
$24,500 (that's the price the rep came to, after some negotiation and some rebates, he said. Grey model. They had one red in the lot too which we liked better, but that would be over $25k)

vs

2016 Sport AWD
$24,445 (MSRP)
$820 destination fee
$400 rear camera package w/ Mazda Connect (the new infotainment system)
-----
$25,665

No rebates/incentives here (yet)

With the same engine and camera added to the '16 Sport, there is no much difference left in terms of capability and performance between the two models Sport '16 and Touring '15 (fog lights - $350 don't seem relevant to me, so I chose not to include).

Considerations:
1)Resale value: I drive approx $15,000 miles per year and plan to replace the car in 1-2 year (trade-in).
2)Improvements and form factor: how much better the "updated" AWD and interior are in the '16 models compared to the '15?
3)Infotainment system: how much better and useful the 7" Mazda Connect is compared to the 5.8" screen from Touring '15? Here, as a particular note, the '16 appears still doesn't have Apple Carplay?
4)Financing: at least half of my cost would be financed, either through Mazda or through my bank, I don't see any big difference here.

I appreciate any advice and opinion.

I would also be interested in any input on the above question--'16 Sport vs '15 Touring, although I'm interested in FWD. Seems like you can get the '16 sport and add the rearview cam, which, along with the 2.5L engine, was the main reason I wanted a Touring. I did want a moonroof, though, and that would only come as a package on the Touring. Oh well, I don't need that.

I would also be interested in any input on the above question--'16 Sport vs '15 Touring, although I'm interested in FWD. Seems like you can get the '16 sport and add the rearview cam, which, along with the 2.5L engine, was the main reason I wanted a Touring. I did want a moonroof, though, and that would only come as a package on the Touring. Oh well, I don't need that.
From my research so far:
1)The Rear Camera Package package does not come with first production '16 Sport models. None of the dealers that have received the new car yet (as of Feb 15) had the Sport with camera. And who would not want it for an additional $400? Seems like a misperception by the Japanese manufacturer. They'll probably figure that out and start shipping the Sport with the camera, but nobody knows when.
2)The '16 Sport does not have the middle backseat (foldable separately from the left and right), and more important no privacy glass - that's a big factor for me. Plus other small things, which in my opinion make the '15 Touring still a better option.

2015 GT with Tech Package Meteor Gray

Anyone recently purchase in the Northeast? Most of the comments I see are people in the South or West and prices may vary there... I am in NJ and just bought:

2015 CX5 AWD GT with Tech Package, (plus Rear Parking Sensors, retractable cargo cover, and door sill plates).

$29,800 financed at 0% FOR 36 months (plus tax and title)

Back