What did you pay for your CX-5?

My wife just got hers for $25k+TTL for a 2015 Grand Touring with Tech Package and tint. We also got the zero deductible 7yr 100k miles most coverage extended warranty for $1450. Did we do pretty good? Also just picked up used all weather mats, trunk liner and cargo cover for $250. Not to mention a used RacingBeat exhaust for $200.

Window sticker should read something like:

MSRP $27000
Destination and Handling $800 **
Total Vehicle Price $27800

Not sure where they hid **, without seeing details, maybe actual pricing was close to invoice.

Not sure why it's hard to say No to extra extended warranties and extra protection. It's the same as saying No to that crap when buying appliances and electronics. They carry obscene profit margins and dealership is banking on the fact that nearly all people duped into buying them will never cancel them.

That's where the meat is, they really don't make much on the actual vehicle transaction. I think for new cars the industry average is around 2%, right down there with massive volume businesses like supermarkets. Used or "Certified" cars, they do much better on, and I bought Certified. If the Blue book values are anything to go by, they still made a fat profit off me and I beat them like rented mule just to get the price I did.

New to the forum. Just bought a CX-5 GT AWD in the Deep Crystal Blue Mica in late October (wife's car). I avoided the tech package, as I didn't see the need for NAV (iPhone works fine), Smart City Brake (only works [maybe] at slow speed and seems to contribute to possible windshield issues), Xenon (headlights already included), AFS (cool feature but couldn't justify the extra spend to get this), and Auto Dimming Mirror w/ Homelink (added this accessory in the deal). So again, 2015 CX-5 GT AWD with Auto Dimming Mirror/Homelink, All Weather Floor Mats, Retractable Cargo Cover, Roof Rack and Wheel Locks.

MSRP including accessories and $830 destination is $30,975
Selling Price After $1,000 Financing Incentive and Accessories:$28,000
Doc Fee: $499.90 aka dealer profit, I miss states that have a reasonable set fee like $80 or so, but I live in AZ so they can charge what they want up to $500 (I believe), they just have to charge every customer the same fee every time.
State & Local Taxes: $2,268.00
License and Fees: $530.70
Total Out The Door: $31,298.60

I plan to pay off the car after a few months, dealer just needs you to pay for 3 or 4 months so they don't get hit with a chargeback. Minimum finance was $15k for the incentive, but interest wasn't too bad and should only cost a hundred or so for the few months, worth it to save another 8 or $900 in the deal.

If you didn't get the Tech package, I don't think you got the Xenon headlights, adaptive or otherwise. That doc fee is irritating isn't it? That's about what we had to pay. They don't "have" to charge us that much, I just kept beating them down on price until I felt I felt I wasn't being totally ripped off.

My wife just got hers for $25k+TTL for a 2015 Grand Touring with Tech Package and tint. We also got the zero deductible 7yr 100k miles most coverage extended warranty for $1450. Did we do pretty good? Also just picked up used all weather mats, trunk liner and cargo cover for $250. Not to mention a used RacingBeat exhaust for $200.
Uh, that's like $5,000 under factory invoice. That's the most expensive CX-5 you can get, pretty much. Mind sharing your dealer negotiation tactics? Did you hold his family hostage or something? The best TrueCar estimate I can get is $28,508
https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/...914&incentiveIds=&trimId=265779&zipcode=30308

Uh, that's like $5,000 under factory invoice. That's the most expensive CX-5 you can get, pretty much. Mind sharing your dealer negotiation tactics? Did you hold his family hostage or something? The best TrueCar estimate I can get is $28,508
https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/...914&incentiveIds=&trimId=265779&zipcode=30308

I was checking edmunds.com for incentives and they a button for "Price Promise" which gives you a special price from local dealers. The discount was $3k off. I went only for a test drive when the manage says they are slow and said if he gave me a "buy it today" price would I buy it. I said depends on the price and he said said $27800. I said I could buy it from another dealer for $25800 so he went down to $25k not knowing the car was Soul Red +$300 and tech package +$1425. Also it had been tinted so he said he wasn't going to charge for that. I said sold! Got the 7yr 100k miles extended warranty down to $1450 cause they wanted $1500 for a 6yr 75k miles since there was all that tech on there. So my wife is happy and now I can boost my Protege5!

I was checking edmunds.com for incentives and they a button for "Price Promise" which gives you a special price from local dealers. The discount was $3k off. I went only for a test drive when the manage says they are slow and said if he gave me a "buy it today" price would I buy it. I said depends on the price and he said said $27800. I said I could buy it from another dealer for $25800 so he went down to $25k not knowing the car was Soul Red +$300 and tech package +$1425. Also it had been tinted so he said he wasn't going to charge for that. I said sold! Got the 7yr 100k miles extended warranty down to $1450 cause they wanted $1500 for a 6yr 75k miles since there was all that tech on there. So my wife is happy and now I can boost my Protege5!

So was the extended warranty another $1450 on top of the $25,000?

What did they "tint"? (the GT comes from factory with rear privacy glass at about 25% darkness)

Did you sell them a trade-in? Even with the extended warranty this deal just seems almost unbelievably good. I'm kind of jealous.

Did you sell them a trade-in? Even with the extended warranty this deal just seems almost unbelievably good. I'm kind of jealous.

Sorry. I did fight to get $850 for my 95 Dodge Ram 1500 with 200k miles but that was after the negotiation for the $25k price.

Sorry. I did fight to get $850 for my 95 Dodge Ram 1500 with 200k miles but that was after the negotiation for the $25k price.

ah, that's where they made their gravy. They'll sell that thing at auction for like $3000 prolly. And some buy here / pay here scam lot will put it on the front row for $5000. Dealers make more on your trade than any other part of the transaction, I can't believe how much those guys can wring out of a seemingly worthless used car.

Bake-in the trade-in**, 3rd party high-profit extended warranties, the supposed tint, now it's all coming together as nice profit margin in total.

** Watch Craigslist in next few weeks, might find it for sale at $5K, no kidding.

New member here and thanks for such a wealth of knowledge...just about to purchase an awd gt without tech because I dont like the city brake assist. Anyway I think we have settled on 3k off msrp with $500 off for mazda financing and $500 off for enlisted active service appreciation...so essentially 4k off msrp. Seems like a great deal? Any thoughts? Thanks

ah, that's where they made their gravy. They'll sell that thing at auction for like $3000 prolly. And some buy here / pay here scam lot will put it on the front row for $5000. Dealers make more on your trade than any other part of the transaction, I can't believe how much those guys can wring out of a seemingly worthless used car.

Howdy CX5Alive,

Those kind of markups might be better in other parts of the Country but
here in Texas, that Truck in Excellent Condition with 200K miles
is only about 1500 according to Kelly Blue Book for sale to and individual,
and about 875 or so for a trade in to a Dealer.

Take Care,

CK

Howdy CX5Alive,

Take Care,

CK

The dealer will mark it up much much higher than any KBB numbers. They bank on most people not doing any research, and just making an impulse purchase on a 'good cheap truck'. In the end, someone has to overpay by thousands for the whole stealership scheme to stay afloat.

The dealer will mark it up much much higher than any KBB numbers. They bank on most people not doing any research, and just making an impulse purchase on a 'good cheap truck'. In the end, someone has to overpay by thousands for the whole stealership scheme to stay afloat.

Morning,

While I'm sure they do mark things up more than
the price from an Individual, I don't think they're going to make
that much on a 20yr old truck with 200K miles, they'll probably
sell it to a wholesaler as fast as they can.

Take Care,

CK

Howdy CX5Alive,

Take Care,

CK

fyi - In US, Auto Trader shows over a dozen of these 95 Ram 1500s offered for sale with mileage ranging from 203K-362K and being offered for sale for $1K to $6K. Wholesaled first most likely, more profit to be exploited at retail level later for these durable trucks. Cheapest one is riddled with cancer/rust everywhere that is visible from every angle. Used car business is multistate today.

Last edited:
I have a question about truecar pricing. I just started shopping for a CX-5. I'm looking for AWD Touring with tech package. So I know there are 2 options for financing, the 0-0.9% or take more cash back but use standard Mazda pricing. If I were to use the truecar price as a base for my negotiations, is the truecar price relative to the low apr or standard apr price?

For example:
Truecar price: $27,537

Dealer quoted me 2 options:
0.9%: $28,696
Standard rate: $27,196

As you can see, one is above and one is below the true car price. How should I negotiate?

Thank you for your help.

Back