What Clutch

Packerfan

:
2003 MSP Spicey Orange
Motor and tuning finally done Unichip's New Q version first one on Mazdaspeed
Protege. Built motor with CP 8:5.1 pistons, Oliver Rods forged, Thunder Header, GT28RS Turbo, Ion intercooler, Vibrant exhaust, 550cc inj. no VICS or VTCS no EGR final run at 10 psi 245hp 263 torque 15 psi 266hp 278 torque. Smooth no FUEL CUT thank god even at 15 degree weather problem is 1st, second and third gear useless just spins tires and 4th gear clutch won't hold. Turbo spools up to max at about 3300-3400RPM. What would be the best clutch to put considering this type of power and car is on the track as much as on the road. Thanks Guys Robert

Don't go with anything satge 1, your probably making more power now than what they'll be able to hold over the long run.

i'm making similar power and my exedy stage 1 is starting to go so i wouldn't recommend that. they make a stage 2 but it might be a little much for dd. i'm considering that myself.

where in pa are you located in packerfan? our mods are damn near identicle.

Last edited:
You get used to it, I'd rather have a stiff clutch than one that will need to be replaced again.

OK, I'm bumping this up. I just added some power and I'm probly at 200whp and I think I'm only going to get the unichip tuned and that's it. I've had the car for 5 years now and am happy with that amount of power...with the tune, I'll be looking at 220whp ish...so

what clutch? I'm at 103,000 on the stocker and it runs great STILL, but I can't imagine it will last much longer. My wife and I both drive the car EVERY SINGLE DAY, winter/summer...so do I get another stock clutch, stage 1 (what brand), or do I go for a stage 2(what brand)? What do you guys have?: hp?/clutch/good - bad?/daily driver - race queen?/suggestions...thanks all.

Help Bump

Exedy stg.2 should do the trick, unless you going to boost more. And a question why if you are built, you only making 266 untead of 400 or something. Please explain this to me b/c i see alot of MSP buit and making less than 300. Whats stops you guys from boosting more? is it the tranny which we all know fails or is the motor that won't make more unless you add more to it.

I got the spec stage 2+ good for like 365 and kooldino at speedcircuit says spec is the way to go with higher horsepower protege and do a flywheel also sound like the same thing i have on my car as in mods

keep them coming...I have heard nothing but good things with spec clutches...maybe stage 2 is overkill though?

LASERBLUE135 - since your not looking over 250whp then EXEDY stage 1 would be perfect for you.

I have that brand new/never used and since i'm shooting for more WHP I'm second thinking of getting something that will hold over 300whp.

If your interested pm me

end of thread jack

As far as the thread is concern , I'd say SPEC stg 2+ or SPEC stg3+ if you looking at over 320whp .

The thing is the stated HP for corresponding stages of either brand aren't sure if they are talking about whp or flywheel HP ??

I'm sure I will be buying a clutch on forums...there always seems to be one for sale at a bargin. I'll keep you in mind. Thanks for your input, keep the stories coming!!!

OK, I'm bumping this up. I just added some power and I'm probly at 200whp and I think I'm only going to get the unichip tuned and that's it. I've had the car for 5 years now and am happy with that amount of power...with the tune, I'll be looking at 220whp ish...so

what clutch? I'm at 103,000 on the stocker and it runs great STILL, but I can't imagine it will last much longer. My wife and I both drive the car EVERY SINGLE DAY, winter/summer...so do I get another stock clutch, stage 1 (what brand), or do I go for a stage 2(what brand)? What do you guys have?: hp?/clutch/good - bad?/daily driver - race queen?/suggestions...thanks all.

Did you amass 103K mostly with highway driving? That's still a lot of miles to get out of a stock clutch either way.

Did you amass 103K mostly with highway driving? That's still a lot of miles to get out of a stock clutch either way.

There was highway driving involved...yes, also some pizza delivery and dyno milage, but mostly just city driving in Minneapolis. This is my only car (my wife and I and we both drive it). My wife drives it fairly well, and her younger sister attempted to drive it, but ultimately couldn't handle the rock hard clutch pedal that Mazda blessed me with (it's unbelievably firm, anyone who drives my car asks if it's stock). The rear brake pads are also still original! (the fronts gave up in 33,000 miles but the new axis metal masters have 70,000 on them now and have tons of life left).

I don't think I'll be doing the spec 3+...but maybe...

For your power goals and driving style based on current mileage on stock clutch, you won't need a stage 2 or 3. That's odd about your pedal firmness, especially with all those miles.

Back