What car did you trade in for your CX-5?

Would you get a GTI again? wife's 07 Rabbit on its way out in 2 years. Looking into GTIs and TDIs

It was a love hate relationship with that car. Great fun car to drive but the maintenance and problems were not fun to deal with. (cam follower issue, injector issues, carbon deposit issues, sunroof opening and closing whenever it felt like it, locks working intermittently, etc) I was able to fix the majority of the problems myself. (the electrical gremlins were not so easy) The car had about 85k miles when we traded it in (due for timing belt and water pump). Honestly probably a better car to lease than to buy. Get out of it before there are any problems not covered under warranty.

But want can I say, I'm a sucker for how the drive, handle, and are put together. Didn't learn my lesson and I am driving an A4 right now. Next fun car I get into would probably be another Subaru WRX or STI again.

2013 BMW 316iA ( 8000 km) to CX5 My 15. I just wanted higher seating position and bigger ground clearance.
Markku

We passed along a 2010 Mazda 3 GT hatchback with 58,000 km on it to our daughter. Great little car, and it has 3 driver's seat memory positions! A lot of fun to drive, sporty, always gave you that Zoom-Zoom feeling. I'm surprised at how much more relaxing it is, though, to drive the CX-5 with its high seating position, increased greenhouse and better overall visibility. I think I drive a little slower, which isn't bad.

2013 Kia Soul!

The car wasn't bad. It was pretty feature packed for the price. Gas mileage kind of sucked, and the handling was iffy. I got rid of it because the entire Hyundai/Kia MPG overstatement in 2012 (I bought the car about 2 weeks before it happened.) Essentially, they advertised 34mpg, but the EPA found it to be 28mpg (apparently, Kia tested the cars wrong.) They reimburse owners for the difference (you have to report your mileage to Kia), but to be honest, I would not have bought the car had I known. Ironically, at that time, I had considered the CX5 as well. lol

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan which had 55k miles at the time. I decided to swap before any of the potential engine issues became my headache since the warranty ends at 60k. Never had a problem with the Tiguan in 3 years, so I would say initial quality was top notch. I just read too much about issues with the 2.0TSI engines to keep it long term.
Decided to go Mazda because VW resale value is horrible right now, plus CX-5 uses regular gas and gets a few better MPG, and I got a comparable model for $4k less (paid $32,500 for VW, $28,500 for Mazda and both were brand new).

I traded in my '04 Subaru Forester with about 110k miles. I had bought that car when we lived in Maine and it never left me stranded. That said, it liked to eat brake pads, gas mileage could have been better and the heads started leaking (common on Subies of that vintage).

Meanwhile, we moved to a more temperate climate, somewhere with less than the 9 months of winter that we had in Maine. After two decades of AWD ownership I decided to switch to FWD, mostly for the mileage benefit. I narrowed my choices down to an Accord and a Mazda 3 hatch. When it came time for the test drives, I realized that the Accord was a real snooze to drive, especially with the 4 cylinder and CVT transmission.

Next stop was the Mazda dealer. Climbing into the 3 in the showroom I found that it just wasn't a good fit for me, mostly because of the high beltline and lack of real usable room. On a whim I checked out the CX-5, test drove it and took it home. Didn't hurt that they were offering 0% financing at the time.

Meanwhile, we moved to a more temperate climate, somewhere with less than the 9 months of winter that we had in Maine.

I live in NE Ohio, where it can get nasty, but, really, like you said, only 3 months, the other 9 months are usually without snow. So, I saved the additional $1,250/additional 156lbs/2mpg penalty for AWD, and went with the FWD. I'd be surprised if the AWD would kick in more than 1% of the time, and I get around just fine with FWD, so far anyways...

I live in NE Ohio, where it can get nasty, but, really, like you said, only 3 months, the other 9 months are usually without snow. So, I saved the additional $1,250/additional 156lbs/2mpg penalty for AWD, and went with the FWD. I'd be surprised if the AWD would kick in more than 1% of the time, and I get around just fine with FWD, so far anyways...

I understand, but sometimes that 1% of the time is necessary. Not arguing your choice, as maybe you don't have obligations that require you to drive through whatever comes your way. I wish I could have gotten by with just RWD (I'll never own another FWD car).

2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL. Will miss it as it was a great car, had no issues!

1999 4Runner SR5 4WD, 133,500 miles. Was in an accident in 2008, and had some dings that we never fixed. It was a great vehicle, but it was time to move on. With all the little things it had, I was happy to get just above KBB price for it on the trade.

I had a 2007 Acura RDX with tech followed by a 2011 RDX with tech. I traded in the latter with 36k. The RDX switched to V6 and out of my price range, plus the Tech had not kept up. Traded in some hp and some comfort in the front cabin but i'm a geek at heart and couldn't believe the electronics in the 16 GT with tech & iactive. Loved the Acura dealership and service department though.

My mom and I both got rid of our Mazda Tributes for our CX-5s. Mine was a blue 2005, about 125k miles, sold to a friend. Hers was a silver 2002, less than 90k miles I believe, sold it to a nice little old lady on Craigslist. Honestly, my mom got jealous when I told her I was buying a CX-5 and she ran and did the same thing.

09 CRV EX 4WD. Logical upgrade given the fact that the CRV was aging, with 155K miles. That was the third CRV I've owned, the previous two (a 98 and an 00) I'd driven both to over 200,000 miles with no issues. Honda kinda lost my interest with the latest models, because I can't stand the look of the back end - so ugly. Plus they ditched manual trans' back in 07. I loved the CX5 when they first came out, and was hoping Mazda would come to its senses and made an AWD 2.5 with a manual. I got sick of waiting, so I settled on an auto. Don't get me wrong, still love it, but I like swapping my own gears.

09 CRV EX 4WD. Logical upgrade given the fact that the CRV was aging, with 155K miles. That was the third CRV I've owned, the previous two (a 98 and an 00) I'd driven both to over 200,000 miles with no issues. Honda kinda lost my interest with the latest models, because I can't stand the look of the back end - so ugly. Plus they ditched manual trans' back in 07. I loved the CX5 when they first came out, and was hoping Mazda would come to its senses and made an AWD 2.5 with a manual. I got sick of waiting, so I settled on an auto. Don't get me wrong, still love it, but I like swapping my own gears.

At least the slushbox in the CX-5 is extremely competent. I honestly don't think I would go manual, now, considering, and I do love rowing my own!

2007 Mazda6, tweaked a bit...

f6a44a46-6fe3-44a3-89f6-ca6e09f560b1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

At least the slushbox in the CX-5 is extremely competent. I honestly don't think I would go manual, now, considering, and I do love rowing my own!

The more I use the 6-speed AT SkyActive transmission, the more I like it. Adding paddle shifters to the 2015 would be overkill for me since I can select a lower gear for more acceleration easily by depressing the accelerator quickly (not flooring it - just adding a little throttle with a quick movement), and then get it to shift back up again by quickly backing off the throttle a little. It's as though you can shift up or down a gear simply by a quick, deft touch to the accelerator, either up or down. This is much different than the 5 speed AT in my 2010 Mazda 3 GT, which was my second biggest gripe with the 3 after its thirsty engine.

At the risk of going off topic, I drove the 3 again yesterday (my daughter has it now) and I was again impressed with how quiet it is compared to the CX-5. It sounds and feels as though it has an extra 150 lb of sound deadening insulation in it. The 2010 3 GT is still a very nice little (too little, though) car.

Didn't really trade, as I still have the old car, it's just dead..

Fully loaded 2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Reasons:
- well the G needs a motor swap now...
- wanted to be higher off the ground
- fuel economy seemed great for a crossover
- I've always loved Japanese cars
- especially Mazda's
- was eyeing the 2014/2015 Mazda 3 hatchbacks for trunk space, but wanted to be higher off the ground
- needed trunk space and folding seats, I'm a mobile pc tech and mobile dj, I carry a lot with me at all times
- got a great deal on price

Back