What battery should I buy for Mazda6 2.2L Skyactiv with i-stop?

Hi there,

I have a Mazda 6 2.2 sky activ with a stop/start system. The battery is dying and I need a new one.

I've seen a variety of prices out there and I'm not sure what I need. I can fit it myself.

Can anyone offer advice on what battery I should be buying?

thanks all

£150 : Exide EFB 027 EFB Car Battery - 3 year Guarantee | Euro Car Parts
£190 : Varta EFB 335 Car Battery - 3 Year Guarantee | Euro Car Parts
£290! : https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...sN4qW0_pvUKvfIYaAtlmEALw_wcB&isVrnSearch=true

Just go to Walmart and get their Everstart Maxx battery. It's about the most affordable one out there, and they work just fine.

There are only a small handful of battery makers in America, JCI, Exide, and East Penn. And JCI controls about 80% of the market all by themselves. So no matter what the sticker says on the label, it was almost definitely made by one of those three, and that's why it doesn't matter.

Buy on price.

Thanks blooms, I understand what you're saying.

I'm in the UK. I wonder what the equivalent advice would be over here?
Oh shoot, sorry I missed that part. Dummy me!

Battery technology is pretty much the same thing globally. I'd probably still buy on price, so long as the warranty is good. Here in America, 3 year no questions asked free replacement is pretty much the norm.

And for what it's worth, our Walmart group size 35's are $140 USD, I think that's about 110 GBP. So if you get close to that, you're doing fine.

Hi there,

I have a Mazda 6 2.2 sky activ with a stop/start system. The battery is dying and I need a new one.

I've seen a variety of prices out there and I'm not sure what I need. I can fit it myself.

Can anyone offer advice on what battery I should be buying?

thanks all

£150 : Exide EFB 027 EFB Car Battery - 3 year Guarantee | Euro Car Parts
£190 : Varta EFB 335 Car Battery - 3 Year Guarantee | Euro Car Parts
£290! : https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...sN4qW0_pvUKvfIYaAtlmEALw_wcB&isVrnSearch=true

I found this thread on another forum where the OP replaced their battery with an Exide EL954 for ~140 in 2023. No issues with i-Eloop.

More battery install/removal info:

Have not had good luck getting Everstart batteries to last more than a couple of years. I'd go AC Delco.

I stretched it to 3, however, it started going downhill after 2. I had to keep the charger handy until I finally gave in and replaced it. This was on a Mercedes last year; not that it matters. It would drop to 11.5v within a few days if it wasn't driven. Anyway, could have been a dud, who knows.

So? Who cares? It's free.

I hear you, but sometimes people just want their batteries to last longer. Or they don't want the hassle of going to the store, doing the core exchange, and replacing it more often.

Back