What ATF?

kevinmcc

:
2003 Mazda Protege
Since I am replacing all the fluids in my 2003 auto protege sedan. I was wondering the proper oil and way to change it.

Is it just drain the fluid and replace it through the dip stick?

The car has 34k miles on it.

Yes, drain the tranny fluid just as you would the oil, except I recommend that you buy a graduated translucent bottle to measure the amount of fluid you drain. Drain it into an oil pan and then pour that into the graduated container. If you don't have a graduated container, you will have to fill until the dipstick reads full. There will be a different Hot and Cold level line on the dipstick. ATF fluid type is ATF type M-V or equivalent (e.g. DexronIII) in my 2002.
I change my fluid every 2 years to be on the safe side.

Yes, drain the tranny fluid just as you would the oil, except I recommend that you buy a graduated translucent bottle to measure the amount of fluid you drain. Drain it into an oil pan and then pour that into the graduated container. If you don't have a graduated container, you will have to fill until the dipstick reads full. There will be a different Hot and Cold level line on the dipstick. ATF fluid type is ATF type M-V or equivalent (e.g. DexronIII) in my 2002.

Awesome, do you think I should go to the dealer for OEM fluid? And is their a filter?

No, you can buy Dextron III or newer at any auto parts store. They can also look up the correct fluid, specifically for your car.

Yes, it is fully compatible with petroleum-based fluids.

I just drained out the old fluid and put in new redline! That old stuff was so black!

I will drain and refill after my next oil change (4000 miles)

Pic is the old fluid!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 126
Feels good to have it changed out, even though the car doesnt act or shift any different it makes me feel good thta it is fresh!

So I got new coolant, oil, an atf... anything else I should change?

Yes, the power steering fluid can be changed with a turkey baster bulb or a large syringe. My MX-5's reservoir is so deep that I had to buy a fluid pump at Harbor Freight, but a reservoir that deep is uncommon. Yours is much shallower. Also, the next time you change brake pads, flush or have flushed the brake fluid.

Yea I might just use my Redline D4 ATF fluid I have left over from the transmission change.

Someone told me it will mix and is compatiable with the OEM fluid. Might as well!

ATF M-V is not the same as Dextron III, though it is in the ballpark. M-V is closer in type to Mercon V but is tweaked for Mazda transmissions.

I've used Amsoil ATF in my Mazda6 which requires MV and it was great. Amsoil touts better cold-weather shifting and that first shift from 1-2 really was a lot smoother when it got below freezing. They also have a cheaper option the OE Synthetic so if you want to do it on a schedule vs fluid analysis to monitor life it's less money to throw away but should provide the same performance made for shorter drain intervals.

ATF M-V is not the same as Dextron III, though it is in the ballpark. M-V is closer in type to Mercon V but is tweaked for Mazda transmissions.

I've used Amsoil ATF in my Mazda6 which requires MV and it was great. Amsoil touts better cold-weather shifting and that first shift from 1-2 really was a lot smoother when it got below freezing. They also have a cheaper option the OE Synthetic so if you want to do it on a schedule vs fluid analysis to monitor life it's less money to throw away but should provide the same performance made for shorter drain intervals.

I ended choosng Redline D4.

You'll like it, especially compared to the OE stuff.

And just to put this out there, if anyone goes the fluid exchange method from old fluid: Disconnect the battery to let the trans re-learn from scratch as such a drastic change can sometimes cause weird behavior for a while that you can avoid or have the trans "pay more attention" during a quick-learn phase.

Back