What am I hearing?

wicked

:
2003.5msp
I just can't figure it out.when I accel or decell in any gear(with the windows up only)I hear a noise that sounds like if you had a steel rod and a steel ring and you were rattling it around.It sounds like its from the tranny but I know trannys pretty well and it wouldn't do it in an gear if that were the case. there are no metal shavings in my tranny fluid,engine oil,or engine filter.

there isn't anything loose that I can find,and I have been allover and under and though that damn engine bay.
my compressor shaft has a little play in it but not significant.the wheel has not ever hit the compressor housing.

This noise is driving me ******* nuts!!!(bang)

uhh, turbo bearings?

well, maybe not, i would think it would be constant sound if that was the case..

take it to your friendly neighborhood mazda dealership and tell them to fix it or DIE. (doughpoke

If the sound you are describing sounds kind of like: ririririr then I have the same thing and it drives me crazy. It almost sounds like there is too much clearance on the differentials ring and pinion gears. Do FWD's even have ring and pinions? You have to excuse my ignorance here as I am new to FWD's.

it is the motor mounts that t have loosened up.... i had the same problem , i took it in and they had me running noise free an hour later... thats all it is...

arlsmazdaspeed said:
it is the motor mounts that t have loosened up.... i had the same problem , i took it in and they had me running noise free an hour later... thats all it is...
I suspected the motor mounts a few weeks ago.wrong,removed,inspected, replaced,all four engine and tranny mounts.

H-Town Speed said:
If the sound you are describing sounds kind of like: ririririr then I have the same thing and it drives me crazy. It almost sounds like there is too much clearance on the differentials ring and pinion gears. Do FWD's even have ring and pinions? You have to excuse my ignorance here as I am new to FWD's.
-

yeah they got a ring and pinion,but the pinion isn't in the same sense as RWD.it atteches side to side with the ring gear on the diff,but still with helical gears.
so there is no crush sleeve,and no preload.
the tolerneces for clearence aren't adjustable.

I get this noise too but only in first gear and it has only been here since the new AWR Front Motor Mount install... It sounds really bad like... after I roll out of a start sometimes (once a week/2weeks) it just sounds like my car is falling apart like everything underneath is dragging & break and it's real frikin loud!!! If this makes any sense can somebody please tell me what this is!

brennan - Does it sound like ur rods are breaking out of a cold start??? It's really bad eh... It's only begun since my front motor mount and I dun't know why?

i always hear a rattling at round 3-4k which i think is the heat shield rattling under the hood

I think that is the sound of your clutch breaking down slowly. And worn-off parts pinging around inside the clutch housing.

Especially if the sound occurs mostly in 1st, 2nd & 3rd up to like 3K RPM's.

Do you rag on your car/clutch? How many miles do you have now?

damn man... I only have 10,000 rite now. I don't drive too hard either since I'm not as experienced as the rest of you guys, I dot drive fast at times but I can say w/o raggin it out if that's possible. Hope it's not the clutch. It is f'n loud though. Just kinda wierd cause it's only occured since the front motor mount install.(scratch)

I think i have the same noise. i can only hear it when the windows are closed. but i mainly hear it after i am up to speed and take my foot all the way off the gas. It is wierd because the noise goes away after i put my foot on the clutch. now when i down shift to first i hear a whine then it sounds like i am going in reverse.

I just noticed a wierd rattling noise, coming from what sounds like the tranny. But only between 3000 and 3500 rpm. Its worse on decel, I've been under the car trying to figure it out tonight.........

I get a clicking noise when rolling to a stop with my foot on the clutch and the car in gear. Also really bad clicking when turning at slow speeds. I think I have a blown drive shaft. It sounds like the tranny is fuked. Most likely a drive shaft. Any one else get that.

wicked said:
I just can't figure it out.when I accel or decell in any gear(with the windows up only)I hear a noise that sounds like if you had a steel rod and a steel ring and you were rattling it around.It sounds like its from the tranny but I know trannys pretty well and it wouldn't do it in an gear if that were the case. there are no metal shavings in my tranny fluid,engine oil,or engine filter.

there isn't anything loose that I can find,and I have been allover and under and though that damn engine bay.
my compressor shaft has a little play in it but not significant.the wheel has not ever hit the compressor housing.

This noise is driving me ******* nuts!!!(bang)

hmm Lifters Ticking time to replace engine :)

Back