What aftermarket head unit fits the CX-5?

Lando

:
Save the manual transmission
It has been over 20 years since I installed an aftermarket stereo, so I am sure things have gotten a lot more complicated. I want to replace the Sport model stereo with a DVD player that has a touchscreen capable of displaying rear view camera input with Bluetooth. I know that Metra has a double DIN install kit for the CX-5. My question is this: Even though Sonic Electronix has the Metra install kits, when I input my vehicle as a CX-5, their website says there are no stereos that fit this car. Is this just an oversight on their part, or is there something I am missing?

I'd like to hear from those of you who have actually replaced the stock radio with an aftermarket unit. Please include the make and model of the stereo and any comments about the install and quality of the replacement. Thanks.

Crutchfield doesn't show anything for the CX-5 either which really surprises me. That said, I have seen at least one install either here or at Mazdaforums but I don't recall the username or the HU, they provided a general Mazda radio pinout plus a wiring diagram for the CX-5.

Been there done that. Buy a double din. It will fit. Make sure you buy the Honda antenna adapter. Also make sure you buy the steering wheels controls from metra as well as the wiring harness. Also keep in mind that the sport does not have call or hang up buttons on the steering wheel. I reprogrammed my mute button to be the call button via the steering wheel controls.

Last edited:
Been there done that. Buy a double din. It will fit. Make sure you buy the Honda antenna adapter. Also make sure you buy the steering wheels controls from metra as well as the wiring harness. Also keep in mind that the sport does not have call or hang up buttons on the steering wheel. I reprogrammed my mute button to be the call button via the steering wheel controls.

How did you go about reprogramming the mute button?

Thanks. That's what I wanted to verify. I see from your earlier post that you went with JVC. What model did you put in? Are you happy with it? Any other models you might suggest? Any info is appreciated.

Last edited:
I am waiting for more information and adapter parts to be released before replacing my OEM stereo as well.

the Metra site does have a CX-5 configurator and as mongo2004 has mentioned, you'll need the Honda ant adptr 40-HD10.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to verify. I see from your earlier post that you went with JVC. What model did you put in? Are you happy with it? Any other models you might suggest? Any info is appreciated.

I put in the JVC KW-AV60BT. The only thing you have to worry about is that the radio is a little inset from the metra install kit. Therefore the knob on the radio is bumping right up against the install kit. If I bought one again I would buy one with a flat glass screen with no knobs. There is an upgrade JVC (A70?) that has no knob.

As far as functionality I love the JVC. It lets me do everything I want (navigation through Iphone and using motionx app, video (netflix), BT, it uses SIRI (so I can hit the phone button and tell SIRI to launch Pandora without touching the phone) etc.
There are other radios that do this from Kenwood and Alpine so I would suggest looking into them. Hope this helps

I put in the JVC KW-AV60BT. The only thing you have to worry about is that the radio is a little inset from the metra install kit. Therefore the knob on the radio is bumping right up against the install kit. If I bought one again I would buy one with a flat glass screen with no knobs. There is an upgrade JVC (A70?) that has no knob.

As far as functionality I love the JVC. It lets me do everything I want (navigation through Iphone and using motionx app, video (netflix), BT, it uses SIRI (so I can hit the phone button and tell SIRI to launch Pandora without touching the phone) etc.
There are other radios that do this from Kenwood and Alpine so I would suggest looking into them. Hope this helps

Do you have photos of how this looks in the CX-5? Sounds like the extra features are pretty nice. When you say "navigation through iPhone" do you mean road navigation or navigating the stereo through the iPhone?

Do you have photos of how this looks in the CX-5? Sounds like the extra features are pretty nice. When you say "navigation through iPhone" do you mean road navigation or navigating the stereo through the iPhone?

I will see if I can get a picture tomorrow but metra has a YouTube video of their kit and what it looks like. As far as navigation; I can launch motion x from Siri through the radio. The navigation from the phone is displayed on the radio screen and all navigation sound goes through the car speakers. If you are willing to pay a one time fee, you have control of navigation from the radio screen. I believe it is about 25 dollars. However motion x also has Siri capabilities where you can enter an address through voice commands. If you have an iPhone motion x is a free download. Download it and play with it. This is full navigation but you need a dat plan for you phone because maps are loaded via Internet

I will see if I can get a picture tomorrow but metra has a YouTube video of their kit and what it looks like. As far as navigation; I can launch motion x from Siri through the radio. The navigation from the phone is displayed on the radio screen and all navigation sound goes through the car speakers. If you are willing to pay a one time fee, you have control of navigation from the radio screen. I believe it is about 25 dollars. However motion x also has Siri capabilities where you can enter an address through voice commands. If you have an iPhone motion x is a free download. Download it and play with it. This is full navigation but you need a dat plan for you phone because maps are loaded via Internet

I have a Galaxy S2 now, likely will be getting a Nexus 4 at some point so I am on the Android Platform. I would be curious to see what there is. Only way I would get the sport model CX-5 without the Bluetooth package will be if I get an amazing deal, but if I do having a nice aftermarket unit will be considered.

I put in the JVC KW-AV60BT. The only thing you have to worry about is that the radio is a little inset from the metra install kit......

I'm getting ready to install an after market DVD player and have narrowed my choices down to a Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS and a JVC KW-AV70BT. I'm leaning toward the JVC. I pre-assembled the Metra installation kit to get some measurements and the available width is exactly 7". This is where the problem is. According to the factory specs, the Pioneer chassis is exactly 7", but the JVC shows an installation width 7-3/16" and some sites refer to it as an oversize double DIN.

I know that Mongo installed a JVC, with the Metra kit, but I don't want to order a unit that won't fit. I am wondering if the installation width includes the sleeve that I don't need, or if the actual chassis width is 7-3/16" - the JVC website is not clear. The nose measurements for both will fit perfectly in the Metra opening. Anybody familiar with JVC "oversize" double DIN?

I looked and the metra is 7 inches wide. However you have no worries. The a70 has the exact same dimensions as A60 and I have the A 60 installed with no problems. Look on the jvc website and you can confirm. What you are really looking for is panel face dimensions. I think both radios have these set at 6.75 inches

Thanks for the info Mongo. I had checked the JVC website and that's where I was getting the 7-3/16" width and I knew that the one you installed was the same width. I couldn't figure out how you made it fit with the Metra. The JVC dimensions must include the sleeve. That definitely shifts the choice towards the JVC.

I am looking to put an appradio3 from pioneer.
My intention is to put harness adapters from the OEM installation to the aftermarket one:
1) speakers. Metra and some others have the Mazda to iso. This is not a problem
2) antenna. The Honda adapter should fit well
3) microphone. OEM installation is two wire set to a plug. Is there any female plug to fit that I could modify to aadapt it to a 2.5mm jack?
4) camera: this was already discussed...we need a step down converter from 12v to 6v to get the power from the aftermarket HU. Is there female plugs to adapt?
The final intention is to assembly all as plug & play and avoid any warranty voiding

Any suggestion?
Any other wire harness I forgot?
Thank you

First, you'll also need a steering-wheel button adapter. See the post I just wrote :))) comparing some of these: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-steering-wheel-adapter&p=6275191#post6275191

Second "3) microphone". According to schematic I have, the factory microphone has FIVE (5) wires. It doesn't list what they are, but extrapolating, I think they are power/ground/shield/signal1/signal2. From this I take it the microphone has a noise cancellation signal, and amplification. In any case, not straightforward to reuse.

Third "4) camera". See my link above - you'll need a reversing signal at the head unit. As for the adapter, the factory plug has female socket pins, so you should just be able to solder solid pins to your wires and insert into the correct places in the factory plug.

Back