Went to test drive a Speed 3 today...

per parent. most people start out at 35 an hour moving trucks from one spot to another. its a really hard job to get. you basically have to know someone.

It must be very hard to get. At 4 hours a day, 4 days a week, you are looking at 16 hour weeks. Assuming they get a very typical 4 weeks of vacation a year, that means they work 48 weeks x 16 hours = 768 hours a year. At $140K a year pay, that is $182.29 an hour! That is more than most doctors, professional white collars, lawyers, etc., make an hour.

To put it another way, it is the same as an average person working 40 hours a week and making $350,000 a year. That is in the top 1.5% of the nation. I never recall seeing crane operator in the list of the highest paying jobs. Amazing.

Last edited:
Holy Jesus I sparked a 5 page thread over night!

Okay to answer a few questions:

I am 95% sure that I will not like the Caliber SRT-4, but I still want to test drive it for the experience more than anything. Who knows, maybe I'll like it?

I do find it funny how a few of you are quick to point out Chevy's quality reputation, while you are driving around in a car that is notorious for turbo seal and interior vibration problems. I'm not trying to start a fight, you all are obviously biased, I would be too.

I am really torn between the Speed 3 and Cobalt SS. Neither car blows me away in the looks dept, but the power/handling/price will more than make up for it.

I LOVED the interior of the 08.5 Speed3 that I was "allowed" to sit in. I just need to know how bad the rattles are, because they will drive me crazy, more so than not having an armrest in the cobalt.

The Cobalt SS was an awesome ride. The interior sucks, but its a 24k car. One thing that does sway me towards the cobalt is the GM attitude of aftermarket parts. While mazda is busy voiding warranties, Chevy is producing stage kits that retain factory warranty. This is a HUGE factor in my buying decision.

There are two things that I don't like about the Cobalt: No center consol/arm rest and no telescoping wheel. I have long legs, so i have to sit further back from the wheel, and it is uncomfortable for me to hold my arm up and out.

Now, if I could actually get a damn test drive, I could make a decision and purchase something.

One more thing that I forgot to mention that is kind of ironic:

I left the mazda dealership after being told by the sales manager that I couldn't take the car out for a test drive prior to purchase.
I left the chevy dealership after being told I could keep the car for a night prior to purchase.

I left the mazda dealership after being told by the sales manager that I couldn't take the car out for a test drive prior to purchase.
I left the chevy dealership after being told I could keep the car for a night prior to purchase.

Hey, if you live in the KCK or KCM area, you can drive the dog shi7 out of mine. It'll convince you. Can't have a fellow American walking around with a "L" on their forehead.

Hey, if you live in the KCK or KCM area, you can drive the dog shi7 out of mine. It'll convince you. Can't have a fellow American walking around with a "L" on their forehead.

Well, next time I am in KC I am going to try my luck at a dealership there. If that fails, I may have to take you up on that!

Well, next time I am in KC I am going to try my luck at a dealership there. If that fails, I may have to take you up on that!

No Worries. They're designed to go fast. Hell, it's been on the German Autobahn. You can't dog it more out than going over 140+mph for as long as the other drivers let you. If it was supposed to break, it would've broken already. Just let me know when you're in the area and you can get your zoom-zoom on. lol (drinks)

i can't read all of this thread...but i will share my experience

i am 24, have tattoos, long hair and a beard. i showed up at a dealership with my three year old kid and said i wanted to drive an ms3, no questions asked, they let me drive. i drove it about 2-3 more times that day and bought the car. but if they didn't let me drive the car, i wouldn't have been an ms3 owner.

i used to sell cars and i loved the kids who wanted to test drive the faster, more performance based cars (i sold hondas, so we're not talking a lot of performance, but kids coming in to test drive the si and the s2k)

Look, make whatever decision you want. Either is a great choice, not a big fan of chevy due to past vehicles I've owned, however, that wouldn't had stopped me from giving the cobalt ss a shot had it been out when I was shopping for a car. Notorious for turbo seal and interior vibration problems eh? Hmm...so a couple of people on this forum had issues when they modded their vehicles (read: couple) and now apparently this is a known fact per you?

Sorry to hear about the dealership thing, I never experienced it when I went to test drive and hope you can at least find a dealership that will let you take it for a spin before you pull the trigger on an automobile.

Best of Luck

P.S. - my cobb sri, springs, and engine mount were all recommended by my Kings Mazda of Cincinnati mechanic, his name is Kevin

Last edited:
I do find it funny how a few of you are quick to point out Chevy's quality reputation, while you are driving around in a car that is notorious for turbo seal and interior vibration problems. I'm not trying to start a fight, you all are obviously biased, I would be too.

Notorious for turbo seal and interior vibration problems eh? Hmm...so a couple of people on this forum had issues when they modded their vehicles (read: couple) and now apparently this is a known fact per you?

i would agree with mselo...our car is not known for messed up seals and vibrations. most of the problems with turbo seals were caused by aftermarket down pipes (i think some stock turbos might have problems without an aftermarket dp, but hmm)

and the vibrations mentioned are a result from an upgraded motor mount...it doesn't come from the factory like that

It must be very hard to get. At 4 hours a day, 4 days a week, you are looking at 16 hour weeks. Assuming they get a very typical 4 weeks of vacation a year, that means they work 48 weeks x 16 hours = 768 hours a year. At $140K a year pay, that is $182.29 an hour! That is more than most doctors, professional white collars, lawyers, etc., make an hour.

To put it another way, it is the same as an average person working 40 hours a week and making $350,000 a year. That is in the top 1.5% of the nation. I never recall seeing crane operator in the list of the highest paying jobs. Amazing.

unions are awesome.

You guys got it good my dealership was alloted 7 for the year. I waited 3 months for mine. My dealership even told me when it got on the boat. Built March 07. nobody within 150 miles had one to test. as if I cared.

i walked in to the dealership, a 19yr old punk in cargo shorts, plain white t shirt with some stains on it and after oogling the ms3 for a bit, a guy came out and said "wanna actually drive the thing?" of course i did, so i did! easy as that....it kinda helps when the guy giving you the keys as sold 3 cars to your dad, and actually held you when you were baby and your parents were buying there first car from him....and then when i was 16 i bought my p5 from him ;)

Holy Jesus I sparked a 5 page thread over night!

Okay to answer a few questions:

I am 95% sure that I will not like the Caliber SRT-4, but I still want to test drive it for the experience more than anything. Who knows, maybe I'll like it?

I am really torn between the Speed 3 and Cobalt SS. Neither car blows me away in the looks dept, but the power/handling/price will more than make up for it.

I LOVED the interior of the 08.5 Speed3 that I was "allowed" to sit in. I just need to know how bad the rattles are, because they will drive me crazy, more so than not having an armrest in the cobalt.

The Cobalt SS was an awesome ride. The interior sucks, but its a 24k car. One thing that does sway me towards the cobalt is the GM attitude of aftermarket parts. While mazda is busy voiding warranties, Chevy is producing stage kits that retain factory warranty. This is a HUGE factor in my buying decision.

There are two things that I don't like about the Cobalt: No center consol/arm rest and no telescoping wheel. I have long legs, so i have to sit further back from the wheel, and it is uncomfortable for me to hold my arm up and out.

Now, if I could actually get a damn test drive, I could make a decision and purchase something.

One more thing that I forgot to mention that is kind of ironic:

I don't have to be biased to recognize that a $24k MS3 GT is a much better option compared to a rattle-box, poorly-built, typical slap job Chevy Cobalt SS. Leather/Alcantara, room for 4, huge trunk, HID's, Bose. Why not? I don't need "No lift shift" or "launch control". There is just no comparison between the SS and the MS3.

And as far as quality with the MS3, most everyone who has had issues with the turbos have resulted from mods. Maybe I can put it this way: modifications arn't always safe! They're a modification of how your car was originally designed for or built for. Just because a performance company says it's safe and makes your car better, doesn't mean it always is. Every car is designed the way it is, right down to the wheels and tires. They're weighted and picked exactly to compliment the cars handling. Alter that with larger wheels or tires, and you'll see a performance decrease.

I'm not trying to sound one sided, but Christ, after being in the domestic world for so long, I feel like i'm finally driving a quality automobile!!!!

Not in the airlines. Starting airline pilot makes $20k a year and works 90 hours a month, but I digress. How's that for union support? But I digress...

That can't last too long though. Airline pilots are listed as one of the highest paying jobs out there.... averaging 150K / year.

the OP asked about dash rattles... although i know some people have them, I don't. Not a squeek or rattle anywhere. If you do have a rattle, they can be fixed with a little felt backed with adhesive.

I went to the local Mazda dealership for an oil change today, so naturally I went out in the lot and checked out the cars.

Not even a minute after I stopped to look at the MS3, a salesman came out with a set of keys asking if I'd like a test drive.

I went right after work, and I work for a mechanical contractor, so I was just wearing a T-shirt and a pair of jeans. I'm also only 18 years old. Unfortunately, I couldn't test drive the car because mine was just getting out of the garage.

And they wouldn't let me take it out!

Their excuses:
"The people who buy these cars want no miles on them"
"We let someone take out one and they wrapped it around a pole, now our insurance company won't let us do it anymore."
"People come in and purchase them without test driving them all the time"
"This is a special edition car, there are only 4,000 made, and we have 5 of them"

And my favorite:
"we don't want people just coming in to test drive them who aren't serious about purchasing one. We do the same thing with our vipers and Z06's"

Just a warning for anyone in the Wichita, Kansas area, stay away from Davis Moore Mazda. Funny thing is I was going to go test drive the Caliber SRT-4 afterwards to compare (at the Davis Moore Dodge) Instead, I just went straight home.

I also explained to them that I had already test driven a new Cobalt SS turbo. The dealership didn't have any left, so I drove the Gen. Manager's car. (A dealership that wants to sell cars...what a concept!)

What a joke.... Now I'll have to go give my business to a different dealership the next time I am in Kansas City.

lmfao that happened to me also.. so i went back the next day just looking again at them and they finally let me test drive them.. lol, maybe cause i bought an 07 mazda3 i 2.oL from them and they where like well ok. =)

but then 2months later i got the speed3 haha

That can't last too long though. Airline pilots are listed as one of the highest paying jobs out there.... averaging 150K / year.

They obviously get that average from the top 10-20% and it really depends on the company. If you can get through an airline pilot career without getting furloughed or your company going bankrupt once, twice, three times in your life, maybe. After buying a 4 year degree and about $45k in flight training, you land yourself a $20k a year job as a copilot flying regional jets for 3-5 years. At the 5 year point at a regional, you may be a captain and make $55k. Go to a major airline from there and spend your first year on union probation as a copilot again, making $35k. Year two jumps you up to about $55k again. The real money comes when you make captain at a major airline, but that can take as little as 3-4 years or 6-7+ years. It's all about a seniority number and whether or not people are moving out up top and in below you. Once you make captain at a major, the salary goes up over $120k+, but again, if the company goes under or merges with another company, it's all about seniority number and you could end up starting all over again. You cannot take your seniority number from company to company or even your experience, like most other careers out there. So, if you spend 20 years at airline X and decide you want to go to Airline Z, you can't because you'll start back down at the bottom as a copilot making $35k again.

[ON TOPIC] I'm going to start bringing some sort of recording device the next time I go to a dealer so that when they tell me that they've only made 4,000 of a car, that it's a limited edition and too special to test drive, when it's time to trade the car in 5 years later, I can use that for when they low ball me on a trade because it's "just a Mazda3" and there are tens of thousands of them out there. :)

They obviously get that average from the top 10-20% and it really depends on the company. If you can get through an airline pilot career without getting furloughed or your company going bankrupt once, twice, three times in your life, maybe. After buying a 4 year degree and about $45k in flight training, you land yourself a $20k a year job as a copilot flying regional jets for 3-5 years. At the 5 year point at a regional, you may be a captain and make $55k. Go to a major airline from there and spend your first year on union probation as a copilot again, making $35k. Year two jumps you up to about $55k again. The real money comes when you make captain at a major airline, but that can take as little as 3-4 years or 6-7+ years. It's all about a seniority number and whether or not people are moving out up top and in below you. Once you make captain at a major, the salary goes up over $120k+, but again, if the company goes under or merges with another company, it's all about seniority number and you could end up starting all over again. You cannot take your seniority number from company to company or even your experience, like most other careers out there. So, if you spend 20 years at airline X and decide you want to go to Airline Z, you can't because you'll start back down at the bottom as a copilot making $35k again.

[ON TOPIC] I'm going to start bringing some sort of recording device the next time I go to a dealer so that when they tell me that they've only made 4,000 of a car, that it's a limited edition and too special to test drive, when it's time to trade the car in 5 years later, I can use that for when they low ball me on a trade because it's "just a Mazda3" and there are tens of thousands of them out there. :)

Thanks for thie information! I never knew....

Back