Well this time, looks like its for real guys

Moonlighter: thank you for that great post!
very impressed with your fuel mileage mate, congrats.

Mazda CX 5 2.2 Diesel in US/Canada for 2017
Howdy folks,

While researching subject engine the usual aspects of oil dilution due to fuel migration and the Diesel Particulate Filter issues since its development were plenty. I understand this engine has been in service in Australia for several years and was introduced into Japan in 2016. I am excited about investing in this trim type if it becomes available in my location as indicated later this year. As a 14 year VW TDI owner and diesel evangelist, it would be great to see links and conversation on this thread on the pros and cons of the 2017 CX 5 Skyactiv-D. New script, MTF.

We do. The DPF filters out particulates (soot). DEF injection reduces NOx. The process is called Selective Catalytic Reduction. Urea is the reductant used to convert nitrogen oxides (NOx) into nitrogen, water, and CO2. It is injected into the exhaust stream after the DPF, at the input to the SCR catalyst. So the addition of DEF injection should have no bearing on the DPF cleaning cycle.

Thanks for that explaination, i wasnt sure how the adblue injection worked and its relationhsip to the DPF and its regen cycle. Now I know!

What this suggests is that the Mazda skyactive diesel must be a pretty low NOx producer as it meets EU emissions without the adblue injection, but not the even tighter CARB ones.

Mazda said some time ago that they couldnt get the perofrmance they wanted and meet the CARB regs at the same time, so that s why they held off introducing it while they searched for the solution that apparently VW had found to this issue - and we all know why Mazda couldnt figure out that solution, because it was a cheat, not a solution!

Logic then says that the amount of adblue that will need to be injected to the Cx5/Mazda 6 diesel in the US will be quite small by comparison to others.

Last edited:
BMW isn't expensive in the UK.

X1 is affordable, also X3.
I could buy a BMW 3 series for cx-5 money. My model is now around 32000 list.

I think your're missing my point.

Again different parties. You mentioned Porcshe now BMW. Do they make mid 20k turbo cars? Nope VW and Ford does. Honda/VW/Ford are in the party. Not BMW or Porsche. You mentioned Saab. They left the party. I'm talking about large companies using turbos in their most mainstream models moving units party.

How many companies propelled a turbo car to be the #1 selling car in the US again? Its one thing "doing it right" and developing a successful turbo car that has evolved and lasted through decades like VW has and another to being the #1 seller. BMW is a luxury car which most of the general public can't afford. Same with Audi. Ford may be close.

I can drop names of makes all day long too. Makes no difference. Again which company propelled a turbo car to overtake the Accord and Camry in the US? See doing it right and selling cars are two different things. If Honda did it right it would've been a 2.0 Turbo with an 8 speed available 12 years ago. They're not into doing it right. They're into SALES. Moving units.

If there was a car that provided a good at a reasonable price point it would be the EVO. As successful of a car that was it no longer exists. A GTR or a 911 Turbo. Who can afford those turbo cars that are "doing it right"?

Yes in the UK they were definitely late for the party.

And their reputation is being destroyed IMO by there inability to produce a reliable F1 engine.

Actually Honda is indeed late to the turbo "party". By party I mean having turbo engines in their production cars. They've been focused on their NA engines with VTEC that they've neglected adding a turbo to their engines for a long time. Part of that is because they made some pretty good NA engines which were fuel efficient on their lightweight cars. Time has passed though and fuel efficiency has become a big priority these days, which is I think the main reason they started turbocharging their engines. Whether or not they are reliable, only time will tell. Mazda is actually more experienced with turbocharging than Honda is. If I'm not mistaken, when Mazda introduced the turbocharged engine in the Mazdaspeed6/Gen1 Mazdaspeed3, it was one of the first turbocharged engines with direct injection. They've also had turbocharged engines way before as mentioned by mazdadude. This one of the reasons I am not really concerned with the turbocharged SkyActiv diesel engine.

As far as who made turbo engines popular on mainstream cars, I will say Ford with their ecoboost engines. They've been marketing them hard for awhile now, to the point that the current generation Mustang has one.

I'm averaging around 36.5 mpg UK over the same sort of driving.
Same as my son gets with his NA 2L petrol mazda 3.

I'm basically averaging 40 mpUSg short and long journeys combined.

Logic isn't fact, what's the point in guessing?

Thanks for that explaination, i wasnt sure how the adblue injection worked and its relationhsip to the DPF and its regen cycle. Now I know!

What this suggests is that the Mazda skyactive diesel must be a pretty low NOx producer as it meets EU emissions without the adblue injection, but not the even tighter CARB ones.

Mazda said some time ago that they couldnt get the perofrmance they wanted and meet the CARB regs at the same time, so that s why they held off introducing it while they searched for the solution that apparently VW had found to this issue - and we all know why Mazda couldnt figure out that solution, because it was a cheat, not a solution!

Logic then says that the amount of adblue that will need to be injected to the Cx5/Mazda 6 diesel in the US will be quite small by comparison to others.

I'm averaging around 36.5 mpg UK over the same sort of driving.
Same as my son gets with his NA 2L petrol mazda 3.

I have the 150ps diesel.

What's your road tax?

Also, what's the physical engine/drivetrain differences between the 150 and 175ps? or is it just ecu?

I have the 150ps diesel.

What's your road tax?

Also, what's the physical engine/drivetrain differences between the 150 and 175ps? or is it just ecu?
No difference afaik except tuning

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

This is my UK diesel engine bay

SyY6Enr.jpg

YQ9vxTJ.jpg

I have the 150ps diesel.

What's your road tax?

Our equivalent of road tax is our annual car registration fees. Based simply on number of cylinders.

So a 4 cyl diesel is same as a 4 cyl petrol. Output or even emissions has no impact on fees - yet. If we can keep the extreme greenies at bay we might stay that way for a while longer, with any luck. There is talk, though.....

There are no physical differences between the 150/175 versions, it is just ecu mapping.

Versatune (sponsor here on this forum) can give your 150 a ecu remap to make it the same as 175. Or you can go all the way to 190 if you like... or further.

Last edited:
Back