well this is interesting

fatspeed6

Contributor
:
06 speed6
so here it goes, and if i missed this in my search my apologies;

the engine is making an odd whirring/ clicking sound, i would best compare it to these spinning wheel boards you see at the fair with the plastic clicker that hits the numerous pegs/ nails around the circle. at low rpm, sound volume is the same, faster the engine turns, more rapid the sound, roughly the same volume. So I'm thinking the worst, but here are some odd points: No check engine, no oil in coolant or vice versa, drives normally, changed oil - no metal, no smoke in enginebay or out tail pipe, rock solid idle at 800.

Anybody have thoughts on what this could be i went under the car and it seemed slightly louder underneath, but it could be me...at this point im thinking either windage tray, maybe i spun a bearing, I'm getting more confused as i investigate.

forgot to mention the car has 48k, not like it matters, but it seems to be low mileage for an issue.

How loud would you describe the sound to be?

take a screwdriver or something long with a handle and touch it to a suspected part and see if you can hear the noise like a stethoscope. I know when I had a noise like this I had a small rock/piece of gravel that was stuck in a groove on the serp belt. The noise I was hearing was it clanging off miscellaneous pulley. Then a month later 1 git stuck in the grooves of a pulley and made a totally different noise.

Might check Cam chain tension via Oil cap on valve cover, sounds like it might be the VVT! Good Speed mechanic will know the sound, part that is apparantly replace a lot.

ya might be a VVT problem. let the car run for 30 sec then kill it, take off the oil cap and touch the chain. see if its loose.

thank you guys as always i appreciate the help, i will try out the suggestions listed, especially the stethoscope one, and i will check the vvt.

matx- no there there is no clutch vibration, there are literally no other symptoms of something being wrong other than the sound, which is not incredibly loud, just annoying.

Back