Well, now I have 2; MSP and MP3

peeenl

:
2001 Mazda MP3
When the old MP3 broke down, I started searching for parts. I have most of that figured out now, but while I was searching there was a local MSP for sale at $1500 that advertised a leaking water pump. Not knowing exactly what I was going to do with mine, I figured I would at least check it out to see what goodies it might have.

At the end of the day it was a 2003.5 basically stock at 110,000 miles with an air intake, some carbon fiber inserts, some window tint. It wasn't great on the exterior, but wasn't anything a paint job wouldn't cure. Interior looks nice except for the driver seat. It wasn't running at the time, empty on coolant. It also has some alarm wired up that prevented it from turning over for one reason or another. The guy did have the real title though, do I didn't worry about theft.

I toyed with it a little while, but initially decided just to let it go and fix my MP3 as is and just let someone else pick this guy up. Well, I guess I was the only guy interested; and the seller reached out to me again. He told me he put water in it, and did get it to start. He said he drove around the block, but that it was running rough and very weak. I told him I'd give him $800, figuring he would blow it off; but he didn't. At least at that price, wheels, tires, spoilers, and turbo bits make me money; but I think I want to get her running again too.

So, now I have an MP3 with the entire engine torn apart in my garage, and a MSP sitting outside. I'm going to stick with fixing the MP3 and probably put it up for sale, then turn my attention to the MSP. I did have him try to turn it over again to drive it on the trailer. It did turn, I heard compression (not just dead turning), but it wouldn't start. He said he thought it was flooded. We pushed it on, I got all the paperwork done, and now its out there looking at me.

I've never had a turbo before, so I'll be reaching out in the future. First question is probably going to be how to take the alarm out. I am willing to get in there and do head gaskets with all of the above if that's what it takes to get it running; but I'm also willing to try advice from others. I'm also suspicious the turbo is gone, solely because anybody who knows anything about a car knows turbo bits are worth something. Any way to check without it running at all?

Yea pull the intake piping off and rotate the compressor shaft see if it turns or has alot of play. See if you have oil in your intercooler pipes. A blown turbo would not keep it from starting. No coolant wouldnt either. You probably have a fuel issue unless the turbo has blown seals and has filled your intake system / cylinders with oil.

I will take everything I heard from him with a grain of salt. I guess I should get more basic to begin with though. If its turning over, it either has a spark or fuel problem; right? I'll probably pull the plugs tomorrow to take a peek. I'll try to spin the turbo too.

I pulled, or should I say tried to pull out all the plugs this morning. 2 of them came out successfully. One of them I ended up pulling the wire out and leaving the shaft and boot. I tried for a couple minutes to pull it out with pliers, but all the strength I've got and that thing didn't budge a bit. Another one the shaft came out, but it left just the rubber boot. Even worse! Any quick advice on that? I'm guessing I'll have to take off the valve cover, but will that get me in there enough for the one that left the boot only?

As for the two plugs I pulled. They both looked soaked, and smelled lightly of fuel. They did dry relatively quickly. The first cylinder looked like it had standing fluid when I initially pulled that plug. This is purely a guess, but I think it was cooland and fuel primarily since it did air dry. I just figured oil would have continued to look wet. One of the plugs also looked burnt to me, but not physically damaged or deformed.

I will try to upload some pics with my phone in a second.

Probably arent getting any spark and it is flooding your cylinders. I dont believe you will get much more room removing the valve cover. Is the coil stuck on the plug? Melted?

20150721_072949.jpg20150721_073019.jpg20150721_073024.jpg20150721_073030.jpg20150721_073045.jpg

I'm thinking the outside rubber boot stuck to the wall. For the one I can grab with pliers, I can rotate the coil's shaft freely, but pulling doesn't budge it. On the other one, it just ripped the shaft out and left the boot. I was a little worried that taking the valve cover off wouldn't really get me much more space. I think it will help with one, but not the other.

And those plugs are dry in the picture about 5 min after I pulled them out. They were sopping wet when I first got them out.

The coil/wires that ar stuck came from the same coil. That is definitely shot now, but if they were failing before...3 cylinders could have been getting spark the time he got it started and explain "rough and weak".

If that whole coil fails, would 2 cylinders down keep it from starting?

No matter what, I've got to get those other two spark plugs out. Any advice one them? They are both pictured.

Need more info on the car, so you just bought it and you have never seen it run? I would start with new plugs, wires and coils obviously and go from there. Flooding is not the same as fuel in the cylinders, there will be fuel from cranking but that does not make the engine 'flooded'. Just go at the rest of the boots with some long pliers, no other options really

Yep, bought it on shear potential. But even if it turns out the block is cracked, heads warped, turbo blown, electronics fried, and anything else you can think of...I could make my money back on the carbon fiber inserts, interior, spoilers/skirts, wheels and tires alone. If I get it running, thats just the gravy.

I also put all previous owner quotes in quotes not just because they are quotes, but because you can never really know, #airquotes; lol.

Is there any value to the fuel smell having been pretty weak? That's why I was suspicious it was mixed with coolant/water. I was also thinking that the amount of fluid I saw couldn't be totally fuel. Its all the way up to the plug. That cylinder could be in the high position right now, but that would still be a lot of fuel. I'm going to try simple first, but I'm thinking blown gasket.

I got the other two plugs out this morning. The easiest way is to purposefully break the plug in the tube. Then you can use a magnet to pull that portion out. One of mine came out in a nice piece with the boot. The other still left the boot in, but gave me enoug space to grab it with needle nose pliers and pull it out. Then the base of the plug will be exposed for you to get a socket on.

They came out just like the others. Soaked... One of them smelled strongly of fuel. The cylinders look like they had standing fluid in them also. I've got the old set of coils and a new set of plugs from my MP3 sitting in the garage. Should I throw them in there and see what happens?

I was hoping the cylinders would dry out before I try that.

Yea id go ahead and throw those plugs and coils on it and see what happens. Do you have a hand pump or anything you could use to stick some hose into the cylinders and suck the fluid out with?

I decided to be thorough. I did pump as much fluid out as I could, and I ran a compression test on all the cylinders.

I only really got anything out of the 3rd cylinder (3rd from timing side). I could hear 2 and 4 bubbling, but it didn't really draw anything out. The fluid is murky green. I cannot see clearly though it. It has a hint of blackness to it, and smells like fuel. I am assuming that's a mix of coolant and fuel. It doesn't seem to be oily though.

The compression test also showed the 3rd cylinder as the worst. My compression numbers from cam gears side to the trans side were as follows:
115, 80, 60, 90

I believe that tells me it has a blown head gasket, or a warped head.

I did also notice something I didn't before. One of the spark plugs did have slag, completely closing the gap. It was the one from the third cylinder, which also happened to be the one with the worst wire damage.

With those compression numbers, I'm thinking it might fire up; but that cylinder 3 might be down. Is it worth bothering, or am I at a point that I definitely need to pull the head? Ironically, that is what I just got through doing on the MP3. Its still apart in the garage. I'll finish it before I got the same route on the MSP.

With those numbers i would just pull the head rather then risk doing any futher damage just to see if it will run. Your gonna have to pull it either way.

The plugs for the MP3 are not the correct plugs, you need 6 heat range plugs gapped to .028". Sounds to me like the HG is definitely blown, just have it machined and throw a new gasket and head bolts in there and drive it. You could do a block test to test the head gasket but i'm not sure it will work unless the engine is running.

Last edited:
Back