Well I've enjoyed my 5 for 6 months, but...

It looks totalled to me, about 9000 plus, with prices on parts going up and labor, take what you can from the interior if the insurance lets you and sell it on ebay. Glad your family is OK and when you get a new 5 we would love the see some pic's.

I used to rebuild cars back in 99-2001 in Ky. Yeah shes totalled as its well over 50% of the value of the car. With all the bags intact and good doors I wouldnt be suprised if someone rebuilt it, straighten out the front, pull the back out straight again, but it wont be you driving it as you will get a new one :)

That'll buff right out......
Someone had to say it!

I believe the correct quote would be "'Tis a mere flesh wound!" (Monty Python). My biggest fear with a new car is the "almost total." there is nothing worse than shelling out for a rebuily/stretched/bent frame. That thing will never be the same. Luckily, I think you still are looking at a total...

I showed the pics to a friend of mine who works as a claima adjuster, and he said from those pics it totaled. But before he said that he said he's glad to hear your family is ok...and so am I. Could have been soooo much worse.

I know that this is a bit of a rabbit trail, but do other find it interesting how openly we discuss the crash worthiness of modern vehicles? I'm not htat old, but can remember when a car manufacturer would never show a crash test and try and bury bad results.

I personally am comforted to see these results from the 5, as real world accidents seldom emulate crash tests. I also used to think that safety was great, but that I'm a safe drive and don't need to worry too much. What a stupid opinion! Growing wiser had led me to realize that you are just as likely to make a mistake and cause an accident as a safe drive as you are likely to get hit my another drive.

I also think it's awesome that everyone's primary concern here is about family members. Then we get into our morbid CSI curiosity...

holy crap, if you added each little individual part butchered up from that accident, I'd be shocked if your repair bill wouldn't run in the $10-$20k range to 'fix'. I mean adding up parts, panels, and especially damage to the engine bay, sheesh! Labor in itself would push $$$ way over the sum of all parts. Plus there's some stuff you simply can't ever fix. Even in minor accidents, cars are just never the same.

All that being said, sounds like a REALLY scary incident, and glad some people had the decency to stop and offer assistance to your wife. I hope the trucker was cool about it. Best wishes!

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for all the thoughts about that family, I appreciate it!

I got word today, the car is totalled. They told me how much the payout is going to be and frankly, I'm shocked. I won't go into details until I actually have a check in my hand...

As for getting another 5... not gonna happen. IF there was stability control available on them then I wouldn't hesitate, but after this accident that has gone to the top of my list of what I want on the replacement car. My wife loved her car and would like a new one, but I don't want this to happen again. My VW has stability control (called ESP) and a few years ago I blew a FRONT tire at 80 mph and the only tip offs were the horrendous racket coming from the right front of the car and the ESP indicator light on the dash flashing, telling me that the system was making corrections to keep the car pointed in the right direction; it tracked perfectly straight even at 80mph with one tire off the rim and flinging bits everywhere. Right now my first choice for a replacement is the new VW Jetta sportwagen with the TDI, to match the Jetta TDI that is my daily driver. :D

I would get the remaining wheels and grab bits, but they moved the car to Sacramento as soon as the body shop said it was probably totalled, and I'm not going to drive that far to get back the 2 remaining good wheels.

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

also glad everyone faired well. I'd say the car's done, but it did its job well, looks like 6 passengers woulda even been ok? I wonder how run flats would have reacted?

Last edited:
I don't know your situation, but I though the CX-7 came with stability control. I would have a hard time overlooking a TDI wagon though. Seems like they would be pretty cool. I though you could get a Mazda3 Touring/GT with ESP as well.

I'm a little surprised she would want another 5 after that accident. My mom had a run it with a rock outcropping in her old toyota Camry and never wanted to sit in one again. (the rock most definitely won, but the Camry saved her life reasonably well. Now there were some gruesome photos....)

Right now my first choice for a replacement is the new VW Jetta sportwagen with the TDI, to match the Jetta TDI that is my daily driver. :D

You will miss the space, but that thing is sweet. It reminds me of the ABT Golf V Variant (naughty), not the same but nice to get some good modding ideas:

abt-golf-v-variant-titel.jpg

The article:
http://www.babez.de/abt/abt-golf-v-variant.php

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Pure comedy.(lol2)

I really want to thank everyone for the positive posts. As soon as I get the payoff check I will post the amount for everyone's info.(cabpatch)

As for getting another 5... not gonna happen. IF there was stability control available on them then I wouldn't hesitate, but after this accident that has gone to the top of my list of what I want on the replacement car...

Still no word if TCS/DSC will be available in 2009?
It is standard in all European models.

Back