Weird squeaking problem...

Olds

:
1964 Olds Jetstar 88 and 2003 Protege ES (somewhat busted)
Hey guys, sorta new to the board...got my Protege in March but haven't had much of a reason to post so this is one of my firsts.... Any help would be appreciated.

This problem seems to have developed today - I noticed it while driving on the highway at first, but it happens at all speeds.

Basically, what's going on is whenever I make a left turn or even change lanes to the left, the front left of the car makes a really bad 'metal-on-metal' sounding screech - I was driving with the windows down in the country and I thought it was crickets chirping really loud. It sometimes would even happen when I just nudged the wheel left to follow the road, and on left-hand sweepers or even turning left at a light, it's very loud and constant. The only thing is, when I apply the brake, or even tap it, the sound completely goes away, until I release the brake, when it may or may not come back.

What do you guys think it could be? Brakes rubbing? I dunno, seems odd that it would only happen on left turns. Shot bearing? CV joint? The car's got under 45,000 miles...seems odd that those would wear out.

I'm ***king pissed.(pissed)

Sounds to me like a brake problem. Check out your front left rotor, caliper, and brake pad. My other car had the same thing, and we had to replace a bent rotor (100-150 bucks)

Back