Weird problem accompanied by loss of power steering on 2005 Mazda 3-5door

Vicehung

Noob here. My gf recently had her alternator replaced on a 2005 5door 3, 108k. The last couple times I've driven the car I noticed a hard shift between 2nd and 3rd, accompanied with blinking of the headlights and internal lights. This has only happened when I bring up the RPM's between the shift from 2nd to 3rd. Yesterday I decided to really test it and on an uphill run floored it and this time (along with the blinking lights and hard shift) I lost the power steering. The power steering came back after about a mile of driving.

I tried looking through old posts and I see some people with similar probs but mostly on newer models. I know there was an issue with the power steering but her model year doesn't fall under the recall. Could the reman alternator come into play? Voltage regulator? And to be honest I don't know if this problem existed prior to the alternator replacement.

Just seeing if anyone has any input.. might be time for a trade in.

TIA

Tried it again today and this time the low oil pressure light came on for a minute when it shifted between 2 and 3. Anyone?

There is a TSB for the PS System...

The Light will just come on when the revs drop below 500 RPM to let you know there is a loss in pressure.

It is probably working perfectly normal and has nothing to do with the issue.

Just to update you all on this issue. My brother has been telling me its the reman alternator that just got installed.

I took it back to the shop twice and had them look at it. I even took one of the mechanics on a test drive to show him the hard shift between 2 and 3 when it's floored. I couldn't get the lights to blink or the power steering to go out though like it had before. Anyways both times the shop said there is nothing wrong with the alternator and that it's the transmission. So I say if it's the transmission why do the lights blink and why do I lose power steering and they just stare at me with no clue. But they do go on to also blame it on the brand new Dura Last battery I installed. Yea i know it's a pos but I had limited options at the time.

Anyways finally two days ago the charge light comes on and I test the voltage and it's not charging. I take it back and they replace it under warranty since it's only about 6 months old. But the guy tells me the alternator went bad because of the Dura Last battery and that if I don't buy a new battery he won't warranty the alternator anymore. The good news is the transmission shift between 2 and 3 now is very very smooth. I guess it was the alternator.

Loss of Power Steering

Mazda 3 2005 power steering failed while driving. No warning light observed as reported.
It turned out to be a failing alternator. The alternator was tested and the voltage fluctuates between 12.5 to approx. 13 volts, with all loads ON. ie the AC, high beam light and stereo on.
Not sure if the regulator is builtin the alternator.

Since the alternator is the original on the car with approx 200k. Considering a replacement alternator used or rebuilt.

I suggest the alternator be checked either by monitoring under load afetr few years. In this way, we can avoid loss of power steering in the Mazda 3 Hatchback.

Just to update you all on this issue. My brother has been telling me its the reman alternator that just got installed.

I took it back to the shop twice and had them look at it. I even took one of the mechanics on a test drive to show him the hard shift between 2 and 3 when it's floored. I couldn't get the lights to blink or the power steering to go out though like it had before. Anyways both times the shop said there is nothing wrong with the alternator and that it's the transmission. So I say if it's the transmission why do the lights blink and why do I lose power steering and they just stare at me with no clue. But they do go on to also blame it on the brand new Dura Last battery I installed. Yea i know it's a pos but I had limited options at the time.

Anyways finally two days ago the charge light comes on and I test the voltage and it's not charging. I take it back and they replace it under warranty since it's only about 6 months old. But the guy tells me the alternator went bad because of the Dura Last battery and that if I don't buy a new battery he won't warranty the alternator anymore. The good news is the transmission shift between 2 and 3 now is very very smooth. I guess it was the alternator.

Back