Weird front end rumble- need help diagnosing

mdfan

:
2003 Protege 5
Hi, new member here.

My 03 Protege 5 has a front end rumble. Really noticeable when turning left.

I jacked the car up, and spun the wheels by hand. Nothing rubbing, they spin freely. Turned them to both extremes.

Start the car up and put in drive. You can then hear the rumble- you can hear it best inside the car. Not so noticable outside.

Also, the drivers wheel spins freely when jacked up and in drive, but the passenger wheel doesnt. I can spin by hand but only when I rev the engine does it then slowly spin. Yet, when the engine is off and i spin the wheels, they both spin (opposite directions).

Any idea what I have going on?

One other note- the drivers wheel has a little play in it. Its the entire wheel and brake rotor, I can wiggle it a little. Might be related, or not.

After some poking around on the internet- I think i have a bad wheel bearing. Does that sound like my issue? If so, why wouldnt i hear it when i spin the wheel by hand?

When the car is on the ground, there's a lot more load on the wheel bearing.

When you check for free play, rock the wheel up and down to check the wheel bearing or left and right to check the steering tie rod ends.

You should be able to spin the tire by hand when it's in the air. If that's not happening, you have a seized brake caliper.

You need to better describe when the "rumble" happens. Does it change with vehicle speed or engine speed? Does it only occur when turning.

Wheel bearing does sound likely. If it occurs turning left, check your right wheel bearing. For a noise turning right, check the left wheel bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back