weird boost problem

bonospeed

:
03.5 sunlight silver MSP
I have a strange boost problem that is driving me crazy. I cant seem to boost over 5 psi regardless of what I have my boost controller set at. I also am having terrible acceleration and it feels like its bogging till 5000 rpm then it picks up a little. I found it actually accelerates better if i let off WOT and throttle at 80%. I show 20 vac on my boost guage so I dont see how it could be leaking, any idea whats going on?

before you get absolutely attacked from other members I will say this..

use the search and look for key words like, greddy profec boost controller, hesitation, vac leaks, wastegate or wga problems

you should find everything out you need, and fix your problem

annnd welcome to the forums

also..sounds like your wastegate so I'd start there

before you get absolutely attacked from other members I will say this..

use the search and look for key words like, greddy profec boost controller, hesitation, vac leaks, wastegate or wga problems

you should find everything out you need, and fix your problem

annnd welcome to the forums

also..sounds like your wastegate so I'd start there

+1 welcome to the forums.

so i just checked my wga with a hand pump and its opening at 6-7 psi and i tested the intake/exhaust manifold,ic piping with brakeclean and no leaks there either. i noticed a missing bolt from my exhaust manifold (which i replaced), but the turbo is still only pushing 4-5 psi wtf! could my turbo use a rebuild ? any other places to test for boost leak? the car has like 94K miles and i have no idea how original owner treated it, but from what ive had to deal with id guess BAD.

Last edited:
so i noticed a tear in the outer layer of my oil feed line but I dont know if it is deep enough to cause a leak because my oil levels are fine and I dont see it leaking. i cant see where it bolts onto on the back of the block(too much crap in the way) but i think i could if i jacked it up. I am pretty handy but I dont have a garage so i have to work in a parking lot. is this a diy job?

take off the vac line going to the wastegate. inspect it, go for a drive and very very gradually start to boost in 3rd or 4th gear. If you see the boost climb over 6psi then odds are its something to do with the line going to the WG or the mbc. dont be a retard and go WOT with no vac line to the WG, be smart go slow just to see if it can go over 5-6psi. If so then I bet its fine. Also You can always just manually adjust the WG to open at whatever psi you want by adjusting the rod and forget the mbc altogether.

Took off the turbo today and guess what... its blown! yep the shaft is totally ruined so i guess ill be needing a replacement is it normal for a turbo to go at 94k? any suggestions for cheap replacement?

just found a gt28rs replacement and now the question is will i blow my engine if i use this turbo on stock boost levels? only mods are hardpipes. engine is running strong compression 188-195 for all 4 cylinders. if itll blow what is first mod to get to prevent detonation?

the 28rs is used madly with this protege, if you so some searching you'll see that you'll be good at about 5/7psi with no supporting mods. Just be safe not to boost in 5th gear and it would help getting support mods, smic/fmic mid pipe and ems.

the 28rs is used madly with this protege, if you so some searching you'll see that you'll be good at about 5/7psi with no supporting mods. Just be safe not to boost in 5th gear and it would help getting support mods, smic/fmic mid pipe and ems.

is that a fact? Im not going to argue because i do not have a '28, but it's substantially bigger than the stock turbo and i feel like 7psi will be really pushing it with 0 supporting mods...

if you are planning on staying around stock boost.......5/7 psi, it may be a waste to upgrade unless you are planning on going forged. the stock turbo will spool faster than the 28rs. If you plan on doing alot of mods, get it. but if not, just get the stock rebuilt. Just my 2cents.

if you are planning on staying around stock boost.......5/7 psi, it may be a waste to upgrade unless you are planning on going forged. the stock turbo will spool faster than the 28rs. If you plan on doing alot of mods, get it. but if not, just get the stock rebuilt. Just my 2cents.

5-7 psi on the disco could be more like 12-15 psi on the stock turbo because of the size increase. (again, i don't know what the numbers "convert" to without doing the math, but the disco flows more air so "x" psi on the '28 will be the equivalent of "x + __ " on the stocker. Less is more kinda thing.)

Sorry its not a face just from what I read on this board over the past 2-3 years. I don't think it's 5 psi = 15 psi... but to be on the safe side I think it would be best to stay at WGA boost.

Also he can just get the stocker rebuilt with some upped internals.

is that a fact? Im not going to argue because i do not have a '28, but it's substantially bigger than the stock turbo and i feel like 7psi will be really pushing it with 0 supporting mods...

if your boost pressure is messured from the manifold(which it should be) 5psi=5psi. It is the same amount of air. The 28rs just makes it easier than the stocker. It is larger and can move more amounts of air, but if you have it set at 5 psi, it is going to pressurize 5 psi.

i have this same problem, but absolutely no shaft play. a little bit of oil on the side of the turbo where the CAI goes though....

Back